Confirmed with Link: Chychrun to Ottawa

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Room to improve but what the cieling? Just heard many mixed reviews about him so want to see what the ceiling is
I think he needs to improve some defensively but once he does he’s good enough to carry a pairing. Right now fans are going to get frustrated by some of his reads and will want him to be more physical. He’s not an elite D he’s just really good.

Reactions: Tuna99

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I think he needs to improve some defensively but once he does he’s good enough to carry a pairing. Right now fans are going to get frustrated by some of his reads and will want him to be more physical. He’s not an elite D he’s just really good.

I’ll take really good with Sandy, Zub and Chabot there

Reactions: GCK

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So... How does our D rank compared to past groups?

Chabot-Zub
Chychrun-Sanderson
Brannstrom-Hamonic

Vs

Redden-Meszaros
Phillips-Chara
Volchenkov-Pothier

I'll give the edge to the 2006 group because Chara is a HOF guy, but this is the closest we've been to that group in a while, perhaps the 2007 group is more comparable

Redden-Meszaros
Phillips-Volchenkov
Preissing-Corvo

More recent

Methot-Karlsson
Phaneuf-Ceci
Boro-Wideman

Or

Kuba-Karlsson
Phillips-Gonchar
Cowen-Carkner

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That's misleading

He got PP time when one of Chabot or Sanderson was out.

Virtually none when they both played. I'd be guessing but probably 35+ games with zero PP time
I think that's more advantageous than consistently getting the 43 seconds of power kill cleaning up after the top unit is done.

Far better playing a few games on the top unit and a few games not on any unit than it is being a regular on the 2nd unit getting scraps. At least, that's my feeling.

Reactions: bert and DrEasy

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Did I imply he was a midget?

I still think we need to add more size on defense. If it's on the bottom pairing so be it. I'm not convinced Hamonic can get the job done.
I think Hamonic is decent and properly slotted on the 3rd pair for his skill level. Unfortunately his current salary is too much for a 3rd pair D. If he does not sign for next season, then we might have to use Bernard-Docker or Thomson as 3rd pair RD.

Brannstrom is very weak on his backhand I would not do this. Chychrun, Sanderson, Chabot would all be better there .. Brannstrom's reach on his backhand puts him at a disadvantage.

Huge difference in the time and space available on the big ice. He is doing well where he is .. I think it would be a mistake to move him over.
I don't know that it would be a mistake to move Brannstrom to RD; I am willing to try it out.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He's improved a lot this year but he's not really a difference maker and not the kind of guy you want on your D in Rounds 3 and 4 of the playoffs.

He'll do for now though. He's gotten way better very recently. If he keeps improving we may be able to get something decent for him in a trade.
I agree. I would prefer a bigger D who can skate well and play tough and physical at the blue line, along the boards and in front of the net.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
No we won't. ;)
Getting into the playoffs is going to be tough. Getting to the ECF is going to be even tougher given the eastern league teams' acquisitions recently. If we had Norris back and healthy we might have a chance; but we don't. Not that I would be unhappy if we did lose it too.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

Chabot-Zub
Chychrun-Sanderson
Brannstrom-Hamonic

Vs

Redden-Meszaros
Phillips-Chara
Volchenkov-Pothier

I'll give the edge to the 2006 group because Chara is a HOF guy, but this is the closest we've been to that group in a while, perhaps the 2007 group is more comparable

Redden-Meszaros
Phillips-Volchenkov
Preissing-Corvo

More recent

Methot-Karlsson
Phaneuf-Ceci
Boro-Wideman

Or

Kuba-Karlsson
Phillips-Gonchar
Cowen-Carkner
I think 06 and 07 have the best ones, but they had more games to play to give me that opinion. If our current one can be as good as 06 or 07, we're set

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think 06 and 07 have the best ones, but they had more games to play to give me that opinion. If our current one can be as good as 06 or 07, we're set
2006 is by far the best. But this one has potential to be similar. None of the other ones had the potential to have two top pairs like right now.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
2006 is by far the best. But this one has potential to be similar. None of the other ones had the potential to have two top pairs like right now.
I don't think we'll ever have a shut down pair like Volchenkov and Phillips though. Different styles of D, but that pairing could hit and get the puck out of our zone very efficiently. I miss Volchenkov, dude was a beast

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think that's more advantageous than consistently getting the 43 seconds of power kill cleaning up after the top unit is done.

Far better playing a few games on the top unit and a few games not on any unit than it is being a regular on the 2nd unit getting scraps. At least, that's my feeling.
Oh for sure it is. He's got a couple minutes of PP time in maybe 10 games. The other 50 Nada.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I’m not convinced they break up Sandy and Hammer, they’ve been good.

You mean Sanderson is so good that it makes watching Hamonic in that role not a disaster?

So yeah, in that sense, they’ve been good

What do you guys think are the defensive pairings?

Play Chychrun on the PP with Sanderson? Shouldn't impact overall minutes for Sanderson too much

Chabot - Zub
Chychrun - Holden
Sanderson - Hamonic

Or

Try Sanderson on the Right side immediately to see if it works?

Chabot - Zub
Chychrun - Sanderson
Holden/Brannstrom - Hamonic

Brannstrom >>> Holden

Wait, add another >

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Chabot-Zub
Chychrun-Sanderson
Brannstrom-Hamonic

Vs

Redden-Meszaros
Phillips-Chara
Volchenkov-Pothier

Redden-Meszaros
Phillips-Volchenkov
Preissing-Corvo

More recent

Methot-Karlsson
Phaneuf-Ceci
Boro-Wideman

Or

Kuba-Karlsson
Phillips-Gonchar
Cowen-Carkner
Hard to say yet comparing to those groups, but on paper, it's the best group we've had in 16 years since that 07 team. 2017 was good for only one season and wouldn't come close without a player of Karlsson's caliber, so I don't like that comparison. 2012 is close, but I think this group can be better.

I like Hamonic in a 3rd pairing role and think he can thrive there, so I hope they can keep him on the cheap.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I agree. I would prefer a bigger D who can skate well and play tough and physical at the blue line, along the boards and in front of the net.
Tyler Klevin should be that guy eventually, I expect he will be in Belleville for a little while at first. Then the left side will be set & it's still the right side that needs work. It's likely JBD will be a full time player soon, also likely Hamonic could be re-signed at a cheaper price for another yr. Not sure what they will do with Brannstrom & Thomson but Brannstrom could likely play for another yr or until Klevin is NHL ready. I don't think this D is set in stone yet.

Chabot - Chychrun
Sanderson - Zub
Klevin - Hamonic/JBD

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Among D with 20+ games, Chychrun is tied for 11th in goals per game and 12th in pts/gp and Chabot is tied for 19th in g/gp and 26th in pts/gp, seems like we are fine for scoring threats from the backend
I don't want to be just fine, I want to be dangerous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad