Confirmed with Link: Chychrun to Ottawa

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I can't believe we're at a point where Sanderson and Chabot could be considered our 2nd and 3rd best dmen.

How frikkin' good is this defense going to be going forward??

Reactions: PlayItAgain

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
"We owe it to the players. Anyone who has watched us the last little while can’t not be impressed with how they’ve played, how hard they’ve worked... They’ve sent me an indirect message, some said it publicly but for us, it was a message from them. Please do something. We believe in this team and I probably shouldn’t say this but I made a promise to Claude Giroux that we’d get a defenceman before the end of the year: we got him a defenceman," Dorion said Thursday.

Go Claudefather!!!! :clap:

Someone tell Giroux to turn the hot water on in the 300 level bathrooms.

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
For me, I remain underwhelmed with Brann and disappointed. I wanted to see him take a big step this season. He has improved but it's not what I hoped.
He's limited defensively and doesn't create much offense. That said, he's only 23. He's still very much a work in progress. He'll never be Quinn Hughes or Josh Morrissey, but it's easy to picture him at 25-26 as a reliable, puck moving D.
Personally I do see a decent upside if somebody works with him on his execution speed and his shot. He's a strong skater, good puck mover, first passer. I agree that he has progressed this year, perhaps not as quickly as many want, but there are definitely still some things to develop. In my previous post I observed that it could very well be that of all the D core, he might be the one that benefits most from the Chichrun trade by virtue of all of them now have much more stable defence pairings / partners. The jury is out on Branny IMO, but I have hope he will continue to improve. He does needs to.

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
I think his foot speed is still a huge issue for him and, honestly, the biggest thing holding him back. He doesn't have that extra step when he needs to escape pressure and separate. I've seen him try to skate out of the zone with a guy chasing him and he can't quite seem to create enough separation to really turn the play into a dangerous counter attack. I suspect it's also why he creates so little offense despite his underlying numbers indicating a higher probability of goals for when he's on the ice.
Interesting the foot speed point. I think he is an agile skater, solid once moving. Interested to know, are you implying his start speed, acceleration once moving, both? I'll watch for that tonight.

Last edited:

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
I’m very happy for both Ottawa and chychrum , what an awful awful organization Arizona is. Just awful. This is in bettman. He needs to give this up already

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
There's no better way to get a GM in action than to have star players force the issue. It can be annoying in some cases, but I love it in a situation like this where the player basically forced the GM's hand to improve the team. And Dorion did a good job with also having an eye on tomorrow with a guy like Chychrun instead of just an expiring ufa.

This is the kind of thing Dorion is able to grant with Melnyk out of the picture unlike when Alfie was there asking for the same from Murray.
Yes, not a risk for Dorion really... It would have been if he had done nothing. It just could not be trading futures for a rental given they are statistically challenged to even make the playoffs. As most in this forum have wanted (sane anyway :) ), go ahead and do a deal(s), but don't mortgage the future for short term gain. PD satisfies both, the immediate for the players and the future for the team. Total Win-Win on this one. I have to give PD props on this one.

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Love hearing how excited he is to be in Ottawa and how happy his family is that he's playing here.

Sounds like there's a good chance he's a long-term guy, not someone who's going to jump ship after his contract is up.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Love hearing how excited he is to be in Ottawa and how happy his family is that he's playing here.

Sounds like there's a good chance he's a long-term guy, not someone who's going to jump ship after his contract is up.

Did not realize he had such a strong connection to the market. Huge plus.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

eh nothing wrong with these. The first post was a sentiment shared by many here due to the report asking price being high for a LD.

With the current price is a obvious good move

He also tweeted this

I think Simmer is a guy who can be convinced to change his opinion. Someone tweeted him before the deal that Branny, Sandy and Chychrun have played their offside before and he replied back saying 'good point'

Reactions: bert

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I personally think that it's a lack of opportunity. He looks good. He looks better when he gets more minutes. He hasn't played any PP and our 5 on 5 offence is just starting to role.
His average is 43 seconds of PP time a game. Not a lot but some.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
His average is 43 seconds of PP time a game. Not a lot but some.
That's misleading

He got PP time when one of Chabot or Sanderson was out.

Virtually none when they both played. I'd be guessing but probably 35+ games with zero PP time

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
eh nothing wrong with these. The first post was a sentiment shared by many here due to the report asking price being high for a LD.

With the current price is a obvious good move

He also tweeted this

I think Simmer is a guy who can be convinced to change his opinion. Someone tweeted him before the deal that Branny, Sandy and Chychrun have played their offside before and he replied back saying 'good point'

if he plays both sides he always comes out on top

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
I'm confused... On top of what exactly?

He isn't competing with anyone when he shares what he thinks.

1677782484201.png

Reactions: bert and NyQuil

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

It's the same moron that said he preffered Brown over Giroux at the start of the season.

The guys the worst, especially because he gets his underwear all twisted up as soon as anyone questions him on his stupid takes.

If he really was as funny and brilliant a troll/analyst as he thinks he is - he wouldn't let his critics get under his skin so easily. But it just shows how insecure he really is.

Reactions: swiftwin

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

To be fair, he does mention the trade cost as the deciding factor. Fleece King Pierre Dorion pulled of a trade to address the biggest and long-standing gap in this team without losing one of Greig, Soogie, or Tyler The Hammer Kleven. I experienced the mental flip-flop myself, and in no scenario could I have come up with a more favourable trade scenario.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Same price as Rasmus Sandin. Yes I know the difference between a Boston first rounder being so late, but we were probably going to pick someone ranked there anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad