Rumor: Chris Tanev Mega Thread - All proposals & discussion

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
- 2019 2nd (1st if plays 70 or 80 total games, playoff and regular season, for the rest of his contract)
- Andreas Borgman
- Jeremy Bracco

Probably not close to his to value but with his injury history, currently ongoing, im reluctant to trade too much assets.

I could live including Kapanen as we have tonnes of winger depth, but the offer would definitely change

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I really do believe Rasanem is a solid prospect.

But as i mentioned. Tanev isnt a rental who will walk away for nothing in the summer. Canucks have no reason to trade him unless theres a WOW offer and tho the rasanen offers are good i dont think they are wow.

2018 1st, 2019 2nd, Rasanen, Martin for Tanev is probably on par with what someone like Tanev should return. I don't think that is a discounted offer or that the offer gets significantly better from there but that is just me.

Basically 1st, 2 2nds and some cap to even things out. Martin could be the Dorsett replacement that Vancouver has missed since he went down earlier in the year.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Then we keep our 2nd best player
No reason to be so defensive. Just saying that with his injury history teams may be weary of giving what it would take for a player of his talent that doesn’t play at least 70 games a year.

In his 8 year career he’s missed a substantial amount of time almost every season. So he might very well be the 2nd best player on your team but he’s not a guarantee to be on the ice every game. Good player, bad luck with health.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Won't comment on the type of players we get back from Toronto if we make a deal with them, but the Leafs are in a win now situation. Adding Tanev would be a really solid addition for them.
sort of agree, if there's a deal to be had that doesn't seriously mortgage the future then I agree that Tanev would be a good add, and might really help our contention odds.

but, I don't think there's any pressure on the Leafs to go all in this year, and Tanev's injury history makes me a little nervous about putting too many eggs in that basket. Carrick has played up the lineup with ok results when called on, and Liljegren should make the big club some time next year so as long as they're around then we have a safety net

If there's a deal around picks or prospects that we can afford to lose, I'd be in. I think Kapanen & Liljegren are off the table from our end, Johnsson & Leivo probably need to stick around to fill roster holes next year, but outside of that everyone's probably fair game. Would expect picks to be the substantial value if we find some common ground

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
No reason to be so defensive. Just saying that with his injury history teams may be weary of giving what it would take for a player of his talent that doesn’t play at least 70 games a year.

In his 8 year career he’s missed a substantial amount of time almost every season. So he might very well be the 2nd best player on your team but he’s not a guarantee to be on the ice every game. Good player, bad luck with health.
Canucks always have a lot of injuries on d. Tanev, Edler, Gudbranson, Hamhuis, Salo, Bieks, Etc. It goes way back.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
2018 1st, 2019 2nd, Rasanen, Martin for Tanev is probably on par with what someone like Tanev should return. I don't think that is a discounted offer or that the offer gets significantly better from there but that is just me.

Basically 1st, 2 2nds and some cap to even things out. Martin could be the Dorsett replacement that Vancouver has missed since he went down earlier in the year.

Dorsett is being replaced internally by Darren Archibald. We also have Zack Macewan in Utica and playing very well.

All your offers are fair. And Tanev was a rental i think theyd accept it. But since the Canucks arent in a hurry to trade him i think they sit still and hope hia value goes up.

The type of offer you are making will be there in 2 yrs when Tanev is about to a UFA..
No need to accept it now.

sanfordn

Oct 14, 2017
I could live including Kapanen as we have tonnes of winger depth, but the offer would definitely change

I can’t live with including Kapi.

He’s an elc producer with skill. No way he’s on the 4th line next year. He has elite speed, been great on the P.K.

We need cheap contributors more than we need a RHd.

Reactions: Scott Malkinson

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Dorsett is being replaced internally by Darren Archibald. We also have Zack Macewan in Utica and playing very well.

All your offers are fair. And Tanev was a rental i think theyd accept it. But since the Canucks arent in a hurry to trade him i think they sit still and hope hia value goes up.

The type of offer you are making will be there in 2 yrs when Tanev is about to a UFA..
No need to accept it now.

One of the defenseman seems to be heading out based off Benning's comments about having enough depth to trade a defenseman for a forward. Plus the deal is in ballpark with Hamonic's recent trade and he had term too.

Edler not waiving, Gudbranson just re-signed

Hutton/Pouliot/Stecher/Tanev are the 4 we're looking at. Don't think anyone caes about Pouliot and think Stecher stays. So Hutton or Tanev at that point.

sanfordn

Oct 14, 2017
He wants an offer that will knock his socks off. A mid-late first plus Leivo and two guys that, in my opinion, will not make the NHL full time is not the type of deal he will make. If I'm Benning, I don't trade Tanev for a bunch of guys that the Leafs can't or won't make room for.
I would rather keep him than trade him for that sort of offer.

Valid points. Leivo and Bracco would likely be in the NHL except the log jam at wing we have.

We were drafting guys that wouldn’t even play in North America because of those log jams.

I’m afraid other GM’s are going to rob us of hunter/dubas work.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Feb. 21: Thatcher Demko isn't ready - Sportsnet.ca

Heres the link folks... please send all your apoligies my way for those that called me a liar.

Interview with Dhaliwal starts at 55min5sec.

" 2 teams very Agressive after Tanrv. Toronto definitrly 1.of them"

- rick dhaliwal

@Ekbladder Infection
@Etteduag ot Reseob
That is in fact the case Mr. Dhaliwal mentioned two teams with aggressive pursuit and one is Toronto at the 58 minute mark.

Thanks for the link! Much appreciated.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
That is in fact the case Mr. Dhaliwal mentioned two teams with aggressive pursuit and one is Toronto at the 58 minute mark.

Thanks for the link! Much appreciated.

Just sad i got harassed and called a liar in the other thread which caused it to be locked for no reaon

mammothCacti

Feb 19, 2018
How would the 2018 first and Andrew Nielsen sound? Hes big, moves the puck well and has good offensive upside although a left shot instead.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
*qdp*

That and tbay wants to win now. They also have a deep prospect pool and hedman and sergachev. I doubt Foote is untouchable

Last edited by a moderator:

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Leaf fans have put Rasanen into a few proposals, 6'7 RHD taken in the 2nd round recently. Pretty good prospect that was the final cut for team Finland at the WJC. That was a stacked defense, lots of high end prospects and recent 1st rounders.

If only the Leafs had a better defence prospect.
Bite the bullet and pony up Liljegren, you're getting a really great top 4 for hundreds of games. Realistically, isn't that what you hope Liljegren becomes?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If only the Leafs had a better defence prospect.
Bite the bullet and pony up Liljegren, you're getting a really great top 4 for hundreds of games. Realistically, isn't that what you hope Liljegren becomes?

Won't move Liljegren for Tanev

Hundreds of games is a stretch. Tanev averages 60GP a year? 60x3 = 180GP. He has 2 years left after this so basically playoffs this year and 2 seasons more of 60GP + playoffs (hopefully a cup run or 2 if he makes it through)

I like Tanev and if he was a 75-82GP a season type guy I would use Liljegren but as of now, no.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Won't move Liljegren for Tanev

Hundreds of games is a stretch. Tanev averages 60GP a year? 60x3 = 180GP. He has 2 years left after this so basically playoffs this year and 2 seasons more of 60GP + playoffs (hopefully a cup run or 2 if he makes it through)

I like Tanev and if he was a 75-82GP a season type guy I would use Liljegren but as of now, no.

I don't see any reason why Tanev wouldn't re-sign with Toronto. I believe his parents live in Toronto. He'd be with a much more competitive team that will likely be competitive until he retires. Toronto media can't be much worse than Vancouver, but Tanev flies under the radar anyways since he's quiet both on and off the ice, in a positive way. If injuries continue to be a factor, you get a discount on his extension.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't see any reason why Tanev wouldn't re-sign with Toronto. I believe his parents live in Toronto. He'd be with a much more competitive team that will likely be competitive until he retires. Toronto media can't be much worse than Vancouver, but Tanev flies under the radar anyways since he's quiet both on and off the ice, in a positive way. If injuries continue to be a factor, you get a discount on his extension.

We'd have to see where the team is by then. I think 2018 1st, 2019 2nd, Rasanen, Martin for Tanev is fair market value. I think we all agree Calgary overpaid on Hamonic and that is our most recent comparable for a trade.

Tons of defenseman in this year's draft, Vancouver could just draft a defenseman and add that defenseman along with Rasanen to their prospect pool.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011

He's from the East End of Toronto.....he's a good player, he just gets injured too much. I don't think any reasonable Leaf fan denies he's a good defensive D that would help us. The issue is from a risk management standpoint, he just gets injured too much. When he plays, hes a good player that can neutralize chances against. But his injury troubles have become routine at this point.

I would have been more amendable if he didn't get injured again this year (after the trade discussion last year).....but it's happened again, and it's becoming more of a reoccuring theme of Tanev.........the thing is, we need him to play tougher, more high-event minutes with his time with the Leafs.....and he's going to have to anchor the PK in the playoffs as well....it doesn't get any easier. Not saying the Canucks should move him either, just speaking from the leafs perspective of things.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Well what kind of defenseman is Ratanen then? Puck moving defensemen are the most highly sought after type, and that's what I'd want if I were moving Tanev.
Rasanen is a big kid with a great point shot and likes being physical. He skates well for his size but still has a ways to go. He's fine at moving the puck, I just wouldn't classify him as a PMD. He's gonna need several years to develop, maybe 3-4 years before we have any idea what he is. He's a wild card but the upside is there.

Last edited:

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Rasanen is a big kid with a great point shot and likes being physical. He skates well for his size but still has a ways to go. He's fine at moving the puck, I just wouldn't classify him as a PMD. He's gonna need several years to develop, maybe 3-4 years before we have any idea what he is. He's a wild card but the upside is there. He's a wild card.

And thats why the valur isnt enough if Rasanen is the main piece. Hes a wild card.

Canucks are targeting a wow trade.

Dont forget Canucks still own the rights to 6'7 Dman Nikita Tryamkin. Sounds fairly similar to Rasanen.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
We'd have to see where the team is by then. I think 2018 1st, 2019 2nd, Rasanen, Martin for Tanev is fair market value. I think we all agree Calgary overpaid on Hamonic and that is our most recent comparable for a trade.

You keep using "fair value" for Tanev. Problem is, why are the Canucks moving Tanev for "fair value"? He's signed for two more seasons, three post-seasons for any teams interested in him. They have no need to move him now for "fair value". If Dhaliwal is to be believed that at least two teams are aggressively pursuing Tanev, that shows me teams want the guy. The Canucks really have no incentive to move him unless they get what they want and I can't imagine a late 1st and 2nd and ok prospect is going to get it done, at least not at the deadline. Washington paid a similar amount for two months of Kevin Shattenkirk last deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad