Player Discussion Chris Tanev (4 years, 4.5m AAV)

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
LWR_Recording.png

ODB

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Tanev is the kind of D-man we've been missing since Regehr, so glad he's here.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Tanev really needs more credit for what he has done since he has gotten here. Probably only had a handful of games where he has been "bad".
Man, reading the first few pages. I think Anglesmith is one of the only ones who was saying from the start it was a good signing. So far, he's been right, and all the doom& gloom guys have been fantastically wrong

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Man, reading the first few pages. I think Anglesmith is one of the only ones who was saying from the start it was a good signing. So far, he's been right, and all the doom& gloom guys have been fantastically wrong

I was excited about Tanev...

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Yeah, but look at this big brain shit I posted 2.5 years ago:

Noah and Ras will be the ones pushing likely top minutes nightly next year (or two of the top three).

Maybe I didn't project them being one of the best top pairing D in the entire NHL, but hey, I got something right for once :laugh::laugh:

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
If we are planning to holding on Chris till TDL, his last game should be the following week on 22nd vs Boston (Sharks, Wings, Peg, Bruins, all home games).

After that, only 5 games till TDL (don't want to see him in away game in Edmonton the following Saturday).

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Gotta say.
Is this easily one of the best signings the Flames have ever made?

Got a guy who was a big part of the best team this city’s produced in 30 years, and a stabilizing force and now we’re going to get what appears like a major return for him as well.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Gotta say.
Is this easily one of the best signings the Flames have ever made?

Got a guy who was a big part of the best team this city’s produced in 30 years, and a stabilizing force and now we’re going to get what appears like a major return for him as well.
Calgary has some fantastic signings that always get swept under the rug due to the two main bad ones. Markstrom, Coleman, Tanev, Frolik were all stellar start to finish (Markstrom getting 6 million a year after Bobrovsky got 10 million still baffles me to this day). Then you have the smaller great signings like Engelland, Gudbranson, Stone (on a technicality), and Ryan as well.

Competition is pretty stiff for best signing of the last decade, but it’s still laughable how the consensus on the trade boards was Tanev’s contract was a couple years too long when it was signed.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Then you have the smaller great signings like Engelland, Gudbranson, Stone (on a technicality), and Ryan as well.
Man, I loved that Engelland signing from the start, and so many people shit on it. Dude was slightly overpaid, but he definitely did his job damn well. I also remember that shift where he basically fought 2 guys at once

Reactions: Fig and Ace Rimmer

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Calgary has some fantastic signings that always get swept under the rug due to the two main bad ones. Markstrom, Coleman, Tanev, Frolik were all stellar start to finish (Markstrom getting 6 million a year after Bobrovsky got 10 million still baffles me to this day). Then you have the smaller great signings like Engelland, Gudbranson, Stone (on a technicality), and Ryan as well.

Competition is pretty stiff for best signing of the last decade, but it’s still laughable how the consensus on the trade boards was Tanev’s contract was a couple years too long when it was signed.

Eh, nitpick but the Frolik deal was not great the final year and a half or so.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

If you put it that way, how has the ratio of good vs bad UFA signings (dunno if we should ignore inconsequential signings) been?

Was the Raymond and Neal the main bad ones and that muddied the waters for all the other ones? Or did I forget someone here and there? I feel like we made worse trades for players that didn't work out than signed bad ones that didn't work out. But IDK off the top of my head.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Yeah I was dead wrong on this. His trajectory completely flipped when he came to Calgary however and that wasn't something to realistically expect. If he can get a 2nd+ at the deadline I'll be happy.

Reactions: Fig

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
If you put it that way, how has the ratio of good vs bad UFA signings (dunno if we should ignore inconsequential signings) been?

Was the Raymond and Neal the main bad ones and that muddied the waters for all the other ones? Or did I forget someone here and there? I feel like we made worse trades for players that didn't work out than signed bad ones that didn't work out. But IDK off the top of my head.
I’d say our main bad ones were Neal and Brouwer. Raymond definitely wasn’t good but relative to his expected impact and cost I’d struggle to list him as a massive fault. Think you’d have to weigh the negative impacts vs the positive impacts and Coleman, Markstrom, Tanev, and Frolik all had way larger impacts on our team than any of those 3 did. We just have a tendency to hang on to the negatives around here so whenever our free agent signings get brought up it’s usually Neal and Brouwer mentioned.

Eh, nitpick but the Frolik deal was not great the final year and a half or so.
The 3M line was also a pretty iconic line for our team and Backlund-Frolik was the original power duo that started dominating the opposition. A bad year or so on a 5 year deal is pretty stellar.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I’d say our main bad ones were Neal and Brouwer. Raymond definitely wasn’t good but relative to his expected impact and cost I’d struggle to list him as a massive fault. Think you’d have to weigh the negative impacts vs the positive impacts and Coleman, Markstrom, Tanev, and Frolik all had way larger impacts on our team than any of those 3 did. We just have a tendency to hang on to the negatives around here so whenever our free agent signings get brought up it’s usually Neal and Brouwer mentioned.

The 3M line was also a pretty iconic line for our team and Backlund-Frolik was the original power duo that started dominating the opposition. A bad year or so on a 5 year deal is pretty stellar.

I completely forgot about Brouwer. I must have wanted to block that one out badly.

I'm glad we had other deals like Tanev that has been worth every penny and more.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
If you put it that way, how has the ratio of good vs bad UFA signings
The James Neal signing effectively ended our window in my opinion. It made things way too tight with the cap and made it difficult to fit Tkachuk in.

We did end up having good free agent signings - Markstrom, Tanev, Coleman, Frolik, Ryan.

But the Neal signing was an unforced error and was a big black mark on Treliving's tenure. Fresh off a Brouwer buyout, Treliving gets antsy about the #1RW spot again and throws away all our free cap space to him. He is unable to leverage another buyout on him and the Oilers capitalize on that. Meanwhile, we get stuck with Lucic, a 4th liner with a buyout proof contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3