Player Discussion Chris Tanev (4 years, 4.5m AAV)

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Valimaki and Dube and Kylington need new contracts next year guys btw...

They won't break bank but it would be wise not to wreck all of our cap space on over 30 players.
Actually, Kylington needs a contract this year.

Valimaki needs one next year but he's not eligible to be offer sheeted if he receives a qualifying offer, according to Capfriendly. No idea how that works exactly - can the Flames say "here's a three year deal based on your QO?" and he has to take it? (now that I think about it I think a qualifying offer is one year)
A player becomes a free agent when their contract expires on July 1 after the last League Year of their contract. A player who does not meet the UFA requirements or the Group 2 RFA requirements displayed in the table above, and has been issued a qualifying offer, is designated a 10.2(c) player. The player is only eligible to negotiate and sign a contract with the club that holds their signing rights. They are ineligible to negotiate a contract (offer sheet) with any other club. They are also ineligible for arbitration. If the player does not receive a qualifying offer by June 25th at 5:00pm ET, they immediately become a UFA.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Can Andersson handle those minutes?
Wait & see. He has shown to conserve his energy with not over-playing or committing on plays unless one-on-one battles calls for it. He was showing some decent offensive confidence with jumping up to start offensive plays in timely slots, every now and then.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I actually like Tanev as a player. Just prefer Brodie especially given how close the contracts are

I’m not sure he’s a good fit for Gio, neither is known for being particularly fast and they’re both trending down in the foot speed department. I’m not sure how well he’ll age either given his injury history and style of play

Hopefully I’m wrong about everything

Good points why he should pair with Hani or Vali. Andy is showing progress and I believe he is complimenting Gio, in his past pairing with him.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
As an optimist (and someone who wanted to move on from Ward and bring in a pro), now that we have Ward installed full-time, let's see if having training camp to actually implement his own stuff makes any difference.

Everyone in the media has great things to say about Ward as a coach, and he has the engagement from our players by all accounts. Maybe there is another level to come.
Hopefull! Definitely hoping.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I just see it as a style of play.

Rover - Bobby Orr
Traditional Defenseman - Nik Lidstrom

The latter will do his damage from the point, the former will be doubling as a centreman cutting through the middle of the ice with the puck on their stick.

Neither is wrong, and both can produce offense, but the latter is more predictable for better or worse. The former can be more dynamic.

For Calgary, a team with Sean Monahan as its dejure 1C, having a rover like Brodie really compensated.

I'm not sure why you can't have a rover on all 3 D pairs. The idea that it's a defensive adventure seems to be imagined rather than factual. When one D pair is not on the ice, that does not influence what another D pair should be doing.

It's just hard to find talent like Kylington that can play that rover game and have the green light to do so.

Hanifin isn't a rover. He might jump into the play sometimes but his game is predominantly about point shots.

Nothing wrong with this theorem but must have coaches confidence in the "roamer" to be wise about it along with solid team-D awareness strategies coached and a solid partner in the pair who "covers zone" effectively for his partner. Needs to be coached in practise and preseason heavily emphasizing team D and individual 200 ft/ full-ice awareness of opponents, etc. Kind of goes against modern play structure and early junior coaching. But could be very exciting hockey if you have the "horses to carry it out".

Last edited:

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Nothing wrong with this theorem but must have coaches confidence in the "roamer" to be wise about it along with solid team-D awareness strategies coached and a solid partner in the pair who "covers zone" effectively for his partner. Needs to be coached in practise and preseason heavily emphasizing team D and individual 200 ft/ full-ice awareness of opponents, etc. Kind of goes against modern play structure and early junior coaching. But could bd very exciting hockry if you have the "horses to carry it out".
Its actually not a bad strategy with Cman like Money, who is a more polished finisher than puck-carrier, play driver. He could get open for scoring chances in the o-zone while roamer lags the puck around, drawing defenders out of position. Relying on Johnny to do this regularly has proven inefficient more often than not. Let Johnny be the "roamer/play driver " on another line.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I just see it as a style of play.

Rover - Bobby Orr
Traditional Defenseman - Nik Lidstrom

The latter will do his damage from the point, the former will be doubling as a centreman cutting through the middle of the ice with the puck on their stick.

Neither is wrong, and both can produce offense, but the latter is more predictable for better or worse. The former can be more dynamic.

For Calgary, a team with Sean Monahan as its dejure 1C, having a rover like Brodie really compensated.

I'm not sure why you can't have a rover on all 3 D pairs. The idea that it's a defensive adventure seems to be imagined rather than factual. When one D pair is not on the ice, that does not influence what another D pair should be doing.

It's just hard to find talent like Kylington that can play that rover game and have the green light to do so.

Hanifin isn't a rover. He might jump into the play sometimes but his game is predominantly about point shots.
Hanifin might be confused with the idea as a rover to many of us. I think of him as being " out of position" or not consistently where one might expect him to be, per his actual position and the play around him. Hope that makes sense ( I am quite confused myself now?).
He is a bit unorthodox in his positioning. If he confidently carried the puck with him, in his "roaming", he might define the term more appropriately. ? And then find open teammates for scoring chances, it would actually be beneficial.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Kylington has said he played on the right side for his entire life before being forced to play on the left by Huska upon coming over.

I can't believe a few fans called me an idiot for calling out our Pejorative Slured coaches.

Why play to our players strengths when we can be stupid and try and change the best part of their game?

Hey, Gaudreau and co. on the first line are our offensive catalyst, let's give them a majority of defensive zone starts and play them in a shut down role in the playoffs. Good strategy there Ward.

f*** I WANTED A REAL COACH THIS OFF SEASON OVER ANYTHING ELSE No way Gallant in unemployed for another 2 years. :(

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I can't believe a few fans called me an idiot for calling out our Pejorative Slured coaches.

Why play to our players strengths when we can be stupid and try and change the best part of their game?

Hey, Gaudreau and co. on the first line are our offensive catalyst, let's give them a majority of defensive zone starts and play them in a shut down role in the playoffs. Good strategy there Ward.

f*** I WANTED A REAL COACH THIS OFF SEASON OVER ANYTHING ELSE No way Gallant in unemployed for another 2 years. :(

To be fair on the last part though, at least Ward will chat with Kylington and realize he wants to play RD and may actually cast him there.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Watching this, I'm surprised at how often Tanev is up on the rush (assuming he doesn't convert every single time he's on the rush) and has general good instincts offensively with a sneaky rister. That player where it goes Boeser -> Hughes -> Tanev against LA he shows a surprising amount of speed for someone pegged as a defensive d-man.

CF Magic

Jan 30, 2022
Calgary
This guy needs more love around here. Looking at the Flames scoring leaders, I was surprised to see Tanev having a quietly good season and on pace for a career high but this is pretty much his M.O. - he just flies under the radar. I was sad to see him replace Brodie at the time but you could argue he's been our best defensemen since coming to Calgary. Great skater, always in position it seems and making defensive plays and breakouts look so easy.

His biggest contribution has been allowing Kylington to play with confidence and finally break out this year with him to cover on defense. Admittedly I was not overly excited with this signing but it's been eye opening and a treat watching him play. Plus, does anyone else in the league chew gum every shift while playing?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This guy needs more love around here. Looking at the Flames scoring leaders, I was surprised to see Tanev having a quietly good season and on pace for a career high but this is pretty much his M.O. - he just flies under the radar. I was sad to see him replace Brodie at the time but you could argue he's been our best defensemen since coming to Calgary. Great skater, always in position it seems and making defensive plays and breakouts look so easy.

His biggest contribution has been allowing Kylington to play with confidence and finally break out this year with him to cover on defense. Admittedly I was not overly excited with this signing but it's been eye opening and a treat watching him play. Plus, does anyone else in the league chew gum every shift while playing?

Read the first two pages of this thread for the magic that is this signing.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Last year, Hughes spent 705:48 with Tanev as his D-partner and 427:06 away from Tanev.

CF%:
Hughes w/ Tanev: 49.46%
Hughes w/o Tanev: 57.70%
Change: +8.24%

FF%:
Hughes w/ Tanev: 49.65%
Hughes w/o Tanev: 56.02%
Change: +6.37%

SF%:
Hughes w/ Tanev: 48.03%
Hughes w/o Tanev: 55.56%
Change: +7.53%

SCF%:
Hughes w/ Tanev: 47.52%
Hughes w/o Tanev: 57.35%
Change: +9.83%

HDCF%:
Hughes w/ Tanev: 49.64%
Hughes w/o Tanev: 56.79%
Change: +7.15%

GF%:
Hughes w/ Tanev: 46.03%
Hughes w/o Tanev: 59.18%
Change: +13.15%

xGF%:
Hughes w/ Tanev: 50.22%
Hughes w/o Tanev: 57.22%
Change: +7.00%

Hughes w/ Tanev = below average defenseman
Hughes w/o Tanev = elite #1 defenseman

Holy f*** what an awful signing
how the hell did he go from that to what he's doing now in his thirties?

Ain't complaining though. He probably shouldn't be a third pair dman "in a TOI sense".

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Ain't complaining though. He probably shouldn't be a third pair dman "in a TOI sense".
There is a huge issue with the way that post presented stats. Tanev was the shutdown defenceman for the Canucks, so when Hughes played with Tanev he was playing against top competition. Hughes was not able to keep up as well against top players, so his stats took a beating. When away from Tanev he was also away from the opposition's top players and therefore had an easier time.

Meanwhile it was Hughes' defence which was negatively affecting Tanev's metrics. He's been terrific with every partner here.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
There is a huge issue with the way that post presented stats. Tanev was the shutdown defenceman for the Canucks, so when Hughes played with Tanev he was playing against top competition. Hughes was not able to keep up as well against top players, so his stats took a beating. When away from Tanev he was also away from the opposition's top players and therefore had an easier time.

Meanwhile it was Hughes' defence which was negatively affecting Tanev's metrics. He's been terrific with every partner here.

Hughes game feel off hard without Tanev. It's no surprise that Kylington and Tanev have worked so well together Kylington's skill set is very similar to that of Hughes

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

The real answer is that Tanev's numbers in vancouver were tanked Hard AF by their bottom six (4C Jay Beagle, Brandon Sutter, 3C Adam Gaudette) etc.

If you isolate by centre I bet he comes out looking a lot better

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Still batting 10000000 for my awesome takes.

(don't look to when I said Fox wouldn't be that great, I was still bitter)

Last edited:

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017

Tanev has made 100% of the analytics community eat crow since his signing.

What was originally touted as one of the worst signings of that offseason has turned into one of, if not THE best.

Tanev has been a stud #1 shutdown D for Calgary. Just pure eliteness.

Better context could've been provided for sure, but Tanev had been trending down for 3-4 years prior to that season, so it wasn't a far stretch to assume that's just what he was, but he's been one of the very best D-men (and THE best defensive D-man) in the NHL since coming to Calgary

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Tanev was so over worked he kept getting injured and probably playing a ton injured there too. I think he usually missed like a quarter of the season each year in Vancouver. Here, he's been overall pretty healthy which I think helps a ton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad