Confirmed with Link: Chris Phillips retires: the Big Rig rides off into the sunset

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I always liked Tucker. He was fun to hate. But you also knew that he would jump in front of a bus for his team if that's what was required.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Considering how short the Senators have been around compared to most other franchises, it is cool to have a player who played out their entire career with the Senators. It is a huge accomplishment, especially considering he played the last near decade of his career in a cap league where teams often are forced to move guys they otherwise would have kept pre-lockout.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
People would disagree, but as the franchise's games played leader he should have his number retired.

Respectfully disagree here. That should be for Hall of Fame-level players, who are the best at their positions. Phillips is a great guy, was quite solid for us and so on, but...not a retiree. Karlsson should be the only other one really, he's truly elite.

All the best to Big Rig, hope his family and business bring him lots of safety and pleasure.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
I like me my offense D-man, but got a soft spot for quite guys like Phillips who goes about their business. Closest comparison (not skill wise obviously) would be Pietrangelo, Ekblad, and Vlasic

Hopefully we get to see him a couple of times next season, and looking forward to that retirement ceremony.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Respectfully disagree here. That should be for Hall of Fame-level players, who are the best at their positions. Phillips is a great guy, was quite solid for us and so on, but...not a retiree. Karlsson should be the only other one really, he's truly elite.

All the best to Big Rig, hope his family and business bring him lots of safety and pleasure.

As far as the team's first 20 or so years, after Alfredsson, Phillips is probably the next guy in line. It ultimately depends on how high the team wants to set the bar for retired numbers. If Phillips doesn't get in, then we're probably looking at Alfredsson as the only player who was a star from the Senators first 20 or so years to get his number retired by the Senators. There were guys like Hossa and Chara who are big stars, but in the grand scheme of things their peaks weren't with the Senators, and they both spent the majority of their careers else where.

I wouldn't be opposed to Phillips number being retired, but I also wouldn't be offended if it wasn't. It depends on what route the team wants to go.

He holds a record that likely won't ever be broken, at least not for decades. He wasn't a superstar of the Karlsson or Alfredsson elk, but he was a top player and one of the most recognizable on the Senators since the birth of the modern franchise.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
Happy retirement, Chris. You deserve it. Enjoy your family, and coach those kids of yours to be the next great generation of Senators. Great career.

Chris will likely be pointing at players coaching kids' hockey now.

PierresGabriels

Jan 13, 2010
Orleans
Today felt like a total celebration of what it means to be a Sens fan. Our rock on D through thick and thin, The Big Rig, brought it all together.

Fantastic career. I'm delighted that he was so celebrated today. He was there through everything good this franchise ever accomplished. So steady. So reliable. That Phillips-Volchenkov pairing was out of this world. What a fantastic counterpoint to our elite offensive guys. To this day I rock my Volchenkov jersey. For years those two especially dominated Sid and Ovi.

Major props to TSN 1200 today! They hit a grand slam with the best day of sports radio this town has ever heard. The guests were on point. Hearing the old team mates and people historically associated with the Sens throughout the day felt so nostalgic. Lalime. White. Redden (my first fav hockey player). Lazar. Murray. Spezza. Leeder. Alfie. Neil. Fisher. etc. Wow!

All in all (elite prospects props), it was a great day to celebrate Chris Philips alongside our most legendary Senators players and moments.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Gonna copy my post from the other thread since it was in right at the end.

Back in the late 90s I got to a game in that luxury box that Wade Redden bought for CHEO and guests. Phillips was injured at the time and so he came up to the box and spent some time hanging out with us. It was awesome, he was such a genuinely nice guy. I have a Sens hat signed by Phillips that sat proudly displayed on a shelf in my room until my parents sold that house and had to box up all my stuff.

I respect the crap out of Chris Phillips and I'm really happy he seems to have chosen to make Ottawa his long term home. I haven't lived there in nearly a decade and I'm not totally sure when is the next time I'll be in town, but you can bet I'll be making a stop at Big Rig when I do.

I honestly didn't think I'd be emotional over his retirement especially given that he hasn't played in a year and the signs were very clear that this was going to happen sooner than later, but here I am welling up a bit while typing this. Thanks Chris, it's special player who plays over 1,100 games in one jersey. I'm really glad it was ours!!!

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
People would disagree, but as the franchise's games played leader he should have his number retired.

I'd like to wait a few years to evaluate. I think a decision like that should be made outside of the influence of a retirement that's fresh on people's minds. If in 2 or 3 years we look back and say yeah, he deserves it, then I'll be perfectly happy to see the #4 hang from the rafters.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Today felt like a total celebration of what it means to be a Sens fan. Our rock on D through thick and thin, The Big Rig, brought it all together.

Fantastic career. I'm delighted that he was so celebrated today. He was there through everything good this franchise ever accomplished. So steady. So reliable. That Phillips-Volchenkov pairing was out of this world. What a fantastic counterpoint to our elite offensive guys. To this day I rock my Volchenkov jersey. For years those two especially dominated Sid and Ovi.

Major props to TSN 1200 today! They hit a grand slam with the best day of sports radio this town has ever heard. The guests were on point. Hearing the old team mates and people historically associated with the Sens throughout the day felt so nostalgic. Lalime. White. Redden (my first fav hockey player). Lazar. Murray. Spezza. Leeder. Alfie. Neil. Fisher. etc. Wow!

All in all (elite prospects props), it was a great day to celebrate Chris Philips alongside our most legendary Senators players and moments.

Good post, love your enthusiasm. I was the same way, had the radio on all day, it was pretty special hearing all the stories/players. I thought Bryan Murray looked pretty good too which is great.

As for the jersey, easy solution, they honour both (not retire) Alfie and Phillip's at the same time. Have a great ceremony and hang both jerseys in the rafters. They both deserve it.

Only 21 players have played more games with one team and even less have played them all their entire career with the same team. Great accomplishment that will not be seen too many more times in the league.

Why can't some of you get it? If I read another "pointing" post it's on.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Great player, and an even better person. Nothing more you can ask.

I love the fact he is sticking around, especially on the development side of things. Guy is a bit underrated on the offensive side of the puck, but he knows exactly what it takes to be a solid 2-way defender. Invaluable insight to give to the kids. He is exactly who I want mentoring the kids (on and off the ice).

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
Probably part of my faviourite defensive line in Ottawa Senators history. Him and Volechenkov were animals for us Hopefully there is a wall in a stadium that recognizes his achivements- though he should not have his numbber retired.

80093588-anton-volchenkov-and-chris-phillips-of-the-gettyimages.jpg

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
Good post, love your enthusiasm. I was the same way, had the radio on all day, it was pretty special hearing all the stories/players. I thought Bryan Murray looked pretty good too which is great.

As for the jersey, easy solution, they honour both (not retire) Alfie and Phillip's at the same time. Have a great ceremony and hang both jerseys in the rafters. They both deserve it.

Only 21 players have played more games with one team and even less have played them all their entire career with the same team. Great accomplishment that will not be seen too many more times in the league.

Why can't some of you get it? If I read another "pointing" post it's on.

Basically this, allows future legends of the franchise to potentially have the number and add more history to it. European soccer clubs tend to be good about letting the famous numbers of their clubs continue to be used, I'd like us to do the same (think about how epic it would have been for the Canadiens to have had Richard, Lafleur and modern Habs like Gallagher wearing the same number).

Probably won't happen though. The Leafs already get unfair criticism from North American fans unused to the concept and I don't see us bucking the trend in that regard.

Oct 31, 2011
Ottawa
Remember him playing for the Sens since I was little. Dude is a legend in Sens history that I'll remember. This was the right time to step down and will help our team immensely in the short term and long term.

Cheers to Phillips!

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
So there is apparently only 52 players in NHL history who have played over 1000 games with a single franchise. Phillips is one of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad