Confirmed with Link: Chris Phillips retires: the Big Rig rides off into the sunset

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
phillips.jpg

First overall pick 20 years ago. 1,179 regular season games played, the franchise leader. Whole career as a Senator. Paired with Volchenkov to be one of the elite NHL shutdown tandems in his heyday. A role model off the ice. A leader on the ice and, gradually, a mentor and by all accounts a great teammate.

Thanks for the memories, Chris. Happy trails.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Fantastic career. Best defensive D in the league for a period of time. Class act, should be up with Alfie someday.

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013
Congrats on a great career Big Rig. :handclap:

A true class act who gave everything he had to this team.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Last season was the first time I ever watched Sens hockey without Phillips. It was odd and I didn't like it. Great career. Great person.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Career Senator very nice to see. It doesn't happen much in today's game. This makes me sad but it seems like it was time. He actually started the last season off he played really well as he was out into a role he shouldnt have been playing over twenty minutes a night. That definitely caught up to him after 20 games and his game started to slide.

I should really get a Phillips jersey sometime. I'm surprised I don't have one.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I liked what he said about the young guys coming up. Basically told them that they are at camp to steal someone's job. They have to not worry about the names on the jerseys at camp and just take someone's spot. Nothing is given. If you want a spot on the team, you have to shove someone out the door and they don't want to go.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The true ending of an era.... They are all gone now save for Neiler.

Bittersweet, soooo many heartbreaks, soooo many amazing memories and 'firsts' for this franchise.

As he transitions to a background role with the team we look forward to this new group being as productive, hopefully more, than the last.

Congrats Chis, and thank you!

perpetual elation*

Philips was a rock for so many years.. Especially the days of the Philchenkov pairing !! He'll definitely be missed. Have a great retirement !

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
The series that he and #24 had against PIT in 2007. That was probably peak Chris Phillips.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
A guy that showed up every night. He just wanted to play, and be the best he could. Role Model in every sense of it. And he'd want to point out how proud he was to be a Senator player.

His comments on pushing a player out the door and just earn a spot is a fabulous message to those who want to play as well.

Chabot? Englund? Claesson? Jaros? Harpur? Another? Who wants to play?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
A guy that showed up every night. He just wanted to play, and be the best he could. Role Model in every sense of it. And he'd want to point out how proud he was to be a Senator player.

His comments on pushing a player out the door and just earn a spot is a fabulous message to those who want to play as well.

Chabot? Englund? Claesson? Jaros? Harpur? Another? Who wants to play?
Bingo,too many of these prospects need to learn this :nod:

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
A great career. I'll always remember how he would step up his game in the playoffs, even when the team struggled. The years with him and Volchenkov in particular were amazing.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Bryan Murray is a pretty big troll.

"The one moment I remember most was when Phillips took a penalty, I *****ed at the referee and got a bench minor to put us on a 5 on 3 PK".

As for Phillips - a really underrated guy when he was on his game and in his prime. It sucks he didn't live up to the offensive potential. I think 'shutdown defensemen' is unfair to him. He had good hands and made good first passes.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Phillips was a model of consistency, and that is really difficult to achieve even for professional players.

No one could question that he gave his all to this team and to the community.

Back in his heyday, I remember Crosby saying that Phillips was the most difficult defenceman he had to play against. That's pretty high praise for a guy who didn't have a whole lot of flash to his game. He just went out and got the job done.

Phillips, you're a beauty. Thank you for everything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad