Confirmed with Link: Chris Neil will not return next season

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I am fine with Boro being pur enforcer as long as:

- doesn't play every game he is healthy for
- picks his spots better

Useful player to have. I'd rather have access to a Boro than not honestly.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Neil deserves the best wherever he goes. Absolute warrior. Guys of his ilk shouldn't be able to play 1000 games. He earned every game, the hard way.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I wonder if he's had any offers.

Real talk - when Darren Dreger tweeted out a few days ago that Neil had several teams expressing "significant interest", it was pretty transparently an attempt by Neil's agent to flush out some suitors. The truth is that he had no one expressing interest, as we can see now. Free agent frenzy ends quickly, and if you haven't signed somewhere two days in, it means you'll be waiting for a while. (Dreger was just doing a solid for the agent, as agents are a great source of information and gossip for hockey media guys.)

The other 30 teams all have pro scouts and analytics guys, and they know what everyone else knows - Neil's performance took a significant dive in 2016-17. He was pretty effective in his role up until this season, but it was obvious this year that Father Time had come calling. I loved Neiler as a Sen and wish nothing but the best for him and his family, but I'll stick by my contention that he has played his last NHL game.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Well, Alfredsson opened up a spot in the front office for Neiler...

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Must be having a hard time between fading away on a short contract somewhere and maintaining his "legacy" as a lifetime Senator.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Simmer talked about Neil this morning on TGOR. I gather that Simmer texted Neil's agent on the weekend and the agent said that things are in a "holding pattern". That's code for, "He doesn't have a contract offer yet." Simmer went on to say that Neil had said that it would be a family move when it happened - in other words, Neil's family would make the move with him to a new city as opposed to staying behind while dad worked elsewhere. As they pointed out this morning, timelines are starting to get pretty tight to find a neighbourhood, get kids into school and sports, etc. in a new city.

Keep in mind also that Doan, Jagr and Iginla are still out there, so if it is "veteran leadership" you're looking for, there are more skilled options than Neil available. Brian Campbell also just announced his retirement, who not coincidentally is the same age as Neil.

Bottom line - I think that family reasons will help drive Neil to announce his retirement at the end of the summer. If that happens, I look forward to the chance to honour Neiler at a home game this coming season to thank him for all he did for the team and the city over the years...

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
If the sens don't give him a retirement ceremony i'm cool with it, as Chris and his agent would say its just business.

source

Jul 13, 2008
He could be a good enforcer playing for Vityaz Chekhov. 2 years there, then maybe a year or two playing in the LNAH.

Neil is done in the NHL but if he keeps playing in other leagues into his 40s then props to him.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Neil should take the year off so that he can be eligible to captain Team Canada. Punch some handsome Swedes in the face.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I want Phillips and Neil to have never played for another team. Comon Neil, hang em up and go into coaching. Great leadership and team spirit qualities.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
I know Alfie had a retirement ceremony...but I don't recall one for Phillips so don't think Neil would get one.

Depends what you classify as 'ceremony'. Alfie retired mid-season so they held a press conference to do something cool, which was to sign for one day so he can retire as a senator and do warm-ups one last time, followed by a pre-game ceremony.

Phillips retired in the off-season last year and was given the same type of press conference as Alfie, just not the other stuff that was tied in with the game. If Neil retires, I expect he'll get the same presser but doubt much else since there's nothing else they can do right now

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Phillips and Neil will both work their way into the ROH.

Phillips this year. Neil next.

That's what I was going to write as well (ROH), both will be with the alumni too & maybe Neil helps with some team events. It wouldn't surprise me if Phillips got Alfredsson's old job either.

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
I am suprised he wants to play another season all things considered. Finishing with the team you start with is a rare accomplishment especially for a player of his ilk.

Good luck Neiler! A very impressive career with the sens.

If you are feeling healthy and still enjoy playing, why not? After your career is over your earning potential drops off a cliff, so if you can make $900,000 one last time, what's the harm? I know these guys have already made a lot of money, in Neil's case probably about $15 million, but that's more like 8 after taxes. If you could make 1/8th of your career income for 10 months work, it makes sense.

Playing hockey is also something they can never do again so I get squeezing out as much as possible.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON

I don't think he has even one. The dead giveaway is his line speculating about what might happen if he doesn't play in the NHL this year. If in fact he had some one way contract offers, why hasn't he taken one yet?

Neil is trying to save face so that if he does have to retire, he can say that he had some offers but that none of them "felt right". I get it - he's a proud guy, and to have to say that he doesn't have an offer right now would be embarrassing.

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
What Neil says is believable. I'd also hesitate to move a family for league minimum to some teams this stage of his career.

Likely it's a 2 way at league min, which I wouldn't blame him to not entertain. I'm sure some team would be willing to offer him something, but prob not worth uprooting his family. I would be thrilled to see him play for someone next year, just not with Ottawa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad