Pre-Game Talk: Chris Neil Retirement Game - Friday

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I kind of agree with it.

We have no championships to hang in the rafters. And we just put a guy's jersey up there who averaged 0.243 points per game over his career.

I totally respect what he did and the impact he had on those teams and on the city, even if it was a bit before my time.

I just know that when people look back at this in a few years, without perspective, they will say we never won anything because we celebrated less than mediocrity.

I think what they’ll actually say looking back on it is “Chris Neil was the toughest Senator in team history and he played his heart out for the fans. You would of loved his game - he was a legend”

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
For those who were before his time, there was nothing more comforting and reassuring to know that NO ONE was going to run our stars. We don't have that feeling now, and Brady, God blesshim, can't be in that position. This has to be something you feel you need to know, not have to do (like Auston Watson). Neil simply wouldn't allow it. And Alfie, Spezza, Heatley, Havlat, Hossa, Turris, Karlssonetc...went relatively unscathed the whole damn time.

Now, Chabot gets plastered every damn game. Tim gets manhandled, cheap shotted. No response. It is a big problem. And the thing is , it is hard to bring in someone today who cares to do that job

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
For those who were before his time, there was nothing more comforting and reassuring to know that NO ONE was going to run our stars. We don't have that feeling now, and Brady, God blesshim, can't be in that position. This has to be something you feel you need to know, not have to do (like Auston Watson). Neil simply wouldn't allow it. And Alfie, Spezza, Heatley, Havlat, Hossa, Turris, Karlssonetc...went relatively unscathed the whole damn time.

Now, Chabot gets plastered every damn game. Tim gets manhandled, cheap shotted. No response. It is a big problem. And the thing is , it is hard to bring in someone today who cares to do that job

A big problem with this team is Brady fights to much to get them going, I know it’s part of the Captains game but if Chris Neil were here he’d be speaking up about the team carrying more of the weight in that department and being inspiring players instead of waiting around to be inspired. Agree with you, would love to have Neil on this team taking care of the kids and the stars

Reactions: aragorn and Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I remember when he came in and you could tell he was going to push Andre Roy out, didn't even take a season for us to ship out Roy

Reactions: bicboi64

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
He totally deserves this. We're celebrating one of the rare players who played his entire career with this team, and did so sacrificing his body and giving us some much needed swagger. If it's ok for Phillips to have his jersey retired (very debatable IMO), then it's much more than ok for Neil.

ksens

Mar 8, 2006

And on top of this he could play. Lots of energy, delivering big hits, and he actually had hands and could score when he was asked to as well.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012

Mark Bell didn't get that memo

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think it's quite possible that Sabourin replaces Watson on the 4th line RW for next season since he is probably the only guy in this org (not named Brady) who is quite willing to drop the gloves & fight anyone & they will need that or someone like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: gab6511 and Cosmix

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

The current times fan base cannot handle a player that is just a tough guy. Back then we could… and we had multiples of them back in the day…

Reactions: aragorn

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The current times fan base cannot handle a player that is just a tough guy. Back then we could… and we had multiples of them back in the day…
There was no backing down back then; there was payback coming when the timing was right. Like the famous Montreal game!

BUCKLE UP

MVPTP
Nov 30, 2009
Ottawa
There is no need to knock Kelly because he is not a player like Chris Neil.

Don't get your panties in a bunch lol Kelly is one of the worst 4th liners we've had and Neiler was an absolute stud. I apologize for missing a player like Neil.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I'm sure a lot of the highlight pack tomorrow night will be of his fights, but his bodychecking skill is what I remember most about him. And before he lost his legs (2013ish) he was a great forechecker. That hit on Boychuk is the hardest hit I've ever seen a player deliver, to the point where he winded himself.

The guy played on a line with Kelly and Vermette during the Cup final year, a line that was obviously asked to play an important role and he meshed with them really well, to be the physical force with their two-way games. This franchise hasn't had a better and more complete 3rd line than that one IMO.

His importance on the ice as an energy player on some great teams and his importance off the ice in the community makes retiring his number a no-brainer for me. It may not be usual for a player like him to go to the rafters but ultimately there isn't a criteria needed for it. The one thing Alfie, Phillips, and Neil have in common is staying in the area after retirement and I think it's great we have three longtime players who can act as ambassadors for the franchise, especially with new owners coming in. Some things change, some stay the same....

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
We won’t see another player play a harder 100 games, let alone 1000 games, for the franchise ever again.

I think that's a valid point. Neil might not have been a point producer, or a star player... but he may very well be the last true "enforcer" to lace em up in the nhl.

As far as thst type of player goes... Nailer had about as great a career as possible. Minus a Stanley cup.

For a team with limited history, in a league where winning championships is extremely rare... might as well celebrate the key members who bled red and black on the best team this city has yet to see.

f*** it. Wouldn't have seemed right for anyone to wear 25 again anyway.

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
Neil and Mair: A Tale of Two Tough Men

Twas 5 nights b4 Xmas
And all through the Sens's House
Felix Potvin was purring and looking to joust
So Roy smashed Felix face and took care of that
While Eloranta ran from Chris Neil like a cat
Smash went the fist behind Felix net
Eloranta was down but not done just yet
Cause Mair jumped the boards and he tried to get
Neil in his hands, but he started to sweat
And Neil smashed Mair face good and Mair ego reset
To size while he sat for 10 games at home with his pet

"I will avenge" vowed Mair, his wallet and soul feeling empty.

Years later, Mair and Neil tangoed, and Neil helmet fell.
And Mair swung it around while his blood vessels swell.
And gave a smack to Neil but no pain did Neil feel
Cause Colin Campbell had Mair on a reel
And called him in to say for 2 games you'll stay
At home with your pet, it's your worst mistake yet.

"I will avenge" said Mair.

Years later Neil smack Kaleta down
And Mair skate over to frown
A sour face to Neil from Mair like a clown
So Neil smacked Mair and Mair went down
in a crumpled heap in Ottawa town.
And then there's the famous last words of that story...

Neil sprang his feet, as the Ref blew the whistle,
And away they all flew away, leaving a puddle of pittle.
But I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight,
HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ALL COMERS, AND NOW LETS-FIGHT!

Last edited:

ISensFanI

Sep 2, 2006
Ottawa
That fight against Glass vs the rangers in the playoffs was one of the biggest turning moment plays in a playoff series I've ever seen.

Reactions: Tuna99

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Tanner Glass was just a pure beatdown.

I liked what he did with Brian Boyle. First game of that Ranger series Boyle gave a young Karlsson the treatment and he ended up paying for it for the rest of the series.

How about this hit? Pretty rare today

Adrianopolous

Oct 5, 2017
Delray Beach, Florida
Tanner Glass was just a pure beatdown.

I liked what he did with Brian Boyle. First game of that Ranger series Boyle gave a young Karlsson the treatment and he ended up paying for it for the rest of the series.

How about this hit? Pretty rare today

This is one of my favorite playoff series ever, despite the loss. Brian Boyle regret roughing up Karlsson.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Phillips got the same treatment in here, as did Andy before he left.
And to be honest, Phillips hanging on to the degree that he did so he could eclipse Alfie's record by one game was a cruel joke.

LTIR'd after that game, and the next game was when the Hamburglar run began. Pulling out Phillips and his 15 minutes a game of snow angels and turn overs was the catalyst to that playoff run.

He sadly did deserve the criticism, and hung on at least a season too long. Probably two.
I'm sure a lot of the highlight pack tomorrow night will be of his fights, but his bodychecking skill is what I remember most about him. And before he lost his legs (2013ish) he was a great forechecker. That hit on Boychuk is the hardest hit I've ever seen a player deliver, to the point where he winded himself.

The guy played on a line with Kelly and Vermette during the Cup final year, a line that was obviously asked to play an important role and he meshed with them really well, to be the physical force with their two-way games. This franchise hasn't had a better and more complete 3rd line than that one IMO.
Scored Ottawa's first ever home goal in the Cup finals.

And his hitting skill created more space than his fighting skill, you're right about that.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad