Salary Cap: Chris MacFarland - Record as Avalanche GM (Updates In First Post)

How would you rate the job Chris MacFarland has done to date as Avalanche GM? (editable)

• Total voters

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
Didn't get a starting goalie, a 8th damn, top six winger and several hot prospects though like some here wanted. Like it was ever possible.

He even kept some powder dry for making moves next year. He won't be stuck like Boston, TB, NYI and NJD were this year.

Good job, now we'll see if they can make it work.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I commend him on his deadline moves for sure. Also, the low-risk/high-reward signing of Jo Drouin has paid off in spades. And yes, the acquisition of Johansen was a disaster but they moved on at exactly the right time.

The playoffs will determine this, but I believe the Avs tend to vacillate between filling their depth chart with too many defensive forwards and then too many grinders with scoring touch. We're in the latter part at this point. They never seem to be able to strike a good balance between the two. Colton continues to be a real problem in his own end of the ice, and the penalty kill is suffering horribly of late, possibly (someone on Twitter pointed this out to me) because their two forwards most adept at pressuring the points on the PK in Wood and LOC are gone, and the remaining forwards are too slow, which allows them to do whatever the hell they want high in the zone, and the goaltending/defense down low just isn't good enough to stop it.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I commend him on his deadline moves for sure. Also, the low-risk/high-reward signing of Jo Drouin has paid off in spades. And yes, the acquisition of Johansen was a disaster but they moved on at exactly the right time.

The playoffs will determine this, but I believe the Avs tend to vacillate between filling their depth chart with too many defensive forwards and then too many grinders with scoring touch. We're in the latter part at this point. They never seem to be able to strike a good balance between the two. Colton continues to be a real problem in his own end of the ice, and the penalty kill is suffering horribly of late, possibly (someone on Twitter pointed this out to me) because their two forwards most adept at pressuring the points on the PK in Wood and LOC are gone, and the remaining forwards are too slow, which allows them to do whatever the hell they want high in the zone, and the goaltending/defense down low just isn't good enough to stop it.
I think Cogs still does a pretty good job at times, in fact it's crazy how long his legs have held up but you are right Wood and LOC being out has hurt the PK considerably. It's not dangerous without them, and they are playing to not screw up which inevitably leads to a mental mistake.

I feel our PK is at its best (and most effective) when it is aggressive...to the point of trying to create turnovers for the scoring chance rather than the typical clear and change.

Reactions: Pokecheque

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
I think the league has figured out the Avs, Bednar’s systems, and he and his staff haven’t been able to adjust, maybe don’t have the capability to do so. Similarly, I think the well has run dry on the luck we got with low cost reclamation projects. It was bound to happen sooner or later there are only so many Toews and Nuke’s that can be uncovered and the rest really do remain low cost items (ala Georgiev and Colton). If the Avs go out with a whimper in the playoffs I hope management looks to make significant changes in their approach. Yes they won a cup in ‘22 but that will have been the only season beyond the second round out of the last 7 seasons and with this core that shouldn’t be happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad