Player Discussion Chris Kreider Part II: Manimal

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
i have a feeling if we trade Kreider so early in his career we're going to be lamenting it for a loooooonnngggg time.

Agreed.

On another note.
Kreider has certainly sucked. But I think the team's let Kreider down a lot too. Teams know the weapon he is in a foot race down the ice. It's tighter, but his most consistent co-winger this season being the deadly Jesper Fast isn't going to discourage teams to play the other side tightly.

I think Nash and Kreider need to play together. Kreider can win those foot races, but he can let Nash hang on to the puck. Defense can't cheat on Kreider's side unless they want to give that room to our most dangerous player. With the way he's played, I would put Lindberg between them. He's trustworthy and strong on the puck, and he's an excellent player off the wall and in front cleaning up the garbage.

Miller with Zucc and Brass. Hayes, Fast, Megna/Etem.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Trade him, send a message to JT and Hayes.

He's still valuable, move him out West for a good RHD or top 6 RW and bring Buch over ASAP.

I am starting to believe what you see is what you get with Kreider with a few exceptional games. It's a shame.

He's also on pace for 12 goals and 33 points right now and I think we all know that's not the player you see either.

He's got tons of issues clearly but I'm not a fan of giving up on a player with that size and speed. At this point to me he's a 20 goal scorer and 45-50 point player with tools that are extremely tough to find. Obviously the cap number that they come to in the offseason impacts a lot of things but I'm not prepared to give up on that type of talent at 24 years old especially when you've seen what he can do when he's on his game.

Regardless, he needs to get his **** together. It's gotta be mental at this point because there's no way the coaching staff isn't telling him what he should be doing. His game should be so simple. Skate straight and as fast as you can, finish every single check you can, shoot whenever you can, etc.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
Trade him, send a message to JT and Hayes.

He's still valuable, move him out West for a good RHD or top 6 RW and bring Buch over ASAP.

I am starting to believe what you see is what you get with Kreider with a few exceptional games. It's a shame.

Can we just trade JT instead to teach the other two a lesson?

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
i have a feeling if we trade Kreider so early in his career we're going to be lamenting it for a loooooonnngggg time.

He's the kind of guy who would absolutely obliterate the Rangers on every level if he was traded. The thing is it feels like that would be the only way to give him a "real" wake up call for his career.

I wouldn't be opposed to trading him if the return was A+. Otherwise I have no problem with him in NY. He's going to turn it around, just a matter of how and when.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
On a positive note, his struggles may make it easier to resign him. Won't cost as much.

Thats not very positive.
I went to both the Islander game and Avalanche game and can honestly say he's one the most frustrating plyers to watch. Someone has to get this kid to play on the edge otherwise he'll continue to circle around the ice waiting for things to happen instead of initiating plays with his body. It seemed as if every shift he comes off the ice shaking his head. He needs to snap out of it... along with Miller.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Thats not very positive.
I went to both the Islander game and Avalanche game and can honestly say he's one the most frustrating plyers to watch. Someone has to get this kid to play on the edge otherwise he'll continue to circle around the ice waiting for things to happen instead of initiating plays with his body. It seemed as if every shift he comes off the ice shaking his head. He needs to snap out of it... along with Miller.

Miller has been fine, coincidentally since that Islander game

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Micheletti roasted Kreider in the post-game last night. Called him "a player that is completely lost"

When stuffed shirt company yes-man Joe Micheletti is chastising you, you know you've got a problem.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Kreider + Klein +fast+ Miller for RNH and Taylor Hall

Lol. So we're getting a quality top 6 center and one of the best LW's in the league for an inconsistent middle-6er, Just Turnovers, a 4th liner, and a defenseman who ranges between looking like #3 and a #6?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Micheletti roasted Kreider in the post-game last night. Called him "a player that is completely lost"

When stuffed shirt company yes-man Joe Micheletti is chastising you, you know you've got a problem.

Ooooof, he did?

Damn that's how you know youre ****ing up.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Kreider has been extremely disappointing. I don't care what his stat line looks like, whether he is scoring, getting points or not. Its how you play from game to game. He's just a pedestrian out there.

In losing Hagelin, the Rangers speed took a big hit. Kreider should be picking up the slack there, every shift. He hasn't. They need to stretch the rink and he's one of the only ones who can do that now.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Kreider is lost, you see an ok shift here and there but he needs to get more physically involved. He's missing the net so often too. Maybe even put him on his off wing so he can get some shots off the rush, instead of the typical move to skate behind and around the net.

Bring over Buch asap, isn't the deadline for him to sign to be able to play in the playoffs December anyway? The Rangers desperately need a top 6 winger added.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
He needs to get out of his own head. He needs Stepan; which is not a shot at Kreider, because his game isn't about creating his own chances, not yet, at least. Though his game wasn't really at top-level when Stepan was healthy. Been clamoring since the off-season began that those two needed a true RWer to help them out. It's still the case. Kreider hasn't had a consistent line all season, and it's even less now that Stepan is hurt.

These sound like excuses, and I suppose they are, but there are plenty of people on this roster I trade before Kreider.

Ship Klein and Miller for a top-6 right-handed RWer already.

Should've traded Talbot to Florida for J. Hayes instead of letting him rot in Edmonton :naughty:

**** it, put McIlrath on his RW.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
He needs to get out of his own head. He needs Stepan; which is not a shot at Kreider, because his game isn't about creating his own chances, not yet, at least. Though his game wasn't really at top-level when Stepan was healthy. Been clamoring since the off-season began that those two needed a true RWer to help them out. It's still the case. Kreider hasn't had a consistent line all season, and it's even less now that Stepan is hurt.

These sound like excuses, and I suppose they are, but there are plenty of people on this roster I trade before Kreider.

Ship Klein and Miller for a top-6 right-handed RWer already.

Should've traded Talbot to Florida for J. Hayes instead of letting him rot in Edmonton :naughty:

**** it, put McIlrath on his RW.

I agree with everything. Although I'd much rather keep Klein than Girardi, we all know he's stuck here. But I wonder what a Klein and Miller package could bring back, I'd guess Klein's value is extremely high right now.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Kreider is lost, you see an ok shift here and there but he needs to get more physically involved. He's missing the net so often too. Maybe even put him on his off wing so he can get some shots off the rush, instead of the typical move to skate behind and around the net.

Bring over Buch asap, isn't the deadline for him to sign to be able to play in the playoffs December anyway? The Rangers desperately need a top 6 winger added.

Kreider always misses the net. He can't shoot accurately on the rush at all which is a big problem for someone whose game is premised on speed. If he's stationary he can pick corners but it seems like more than half of his shots taken in stride miss the net.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY

I've stayed away from yelling things at players from the stands now that I'm older but I couldn't help it at Barclays last night in yelling at him to wake up.
Its good that Michelleti said that. Its the truth.
He can't show up once every 7/8 games. The consistency is not there. Nothing but circling around waiting for things to happen then gets back to the bench shaking his head wondering why he had no impact on his shift.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Don't shoot me but I really liked Milbury's analysis the other night.

By all reports, Kreider watches a inordinate amount of tape. Also from what we know he's a pretty smart guy.

Milbury's analysis, which for once seemed spot on, is that he is thinking WAY too much and it's causing paralysis on the ice. If he's thinking back to tape and deciding how to react, then he's behind the play and it looks like he's doing nothing.

He needs to learn to trust his instincts, even if they aren't always right. A bad move is often better than no move at all.

Jan 8, 2012
NY

By all reports, Kreider watches a inordinate amount of tape. Also from what we know he's a pretty smart guy.

Milbury's analysis, which for once seemed spot on, is that he is thinking WAY too much and it's causing paralysis on the ice. If he's thinking back to tape and deciding how to react, then he's behind the play and it looks like he's doing nothing.

He needs to learn to trust his instincts, even if they aren't always right. A bad move is often better than no move at all.
I really can't think of a situation where the tape would show you that you should stop skating in the middle of a 2 on 1. That's how dumb his mistakes have gotten.

When he came in the middle of the playoffs in 2012, he just went out there and played. And accomplished quite a lot. Studying tape and fine-tuning your game is great - some players need it more than others. But hours of that? That's trying to turn hockey into a chess game. It seems like the more he thinks about what he's doing wrong, the more he starts doubting himself, which in turn causes him to do even more wrong things. At this point, I would take the television away from him and tell him to go out there and just play. Players like Kreider are instinctual and need to believe in themselves that they'll know what to do in the moment.

It's read and react, not read, think for 5 hours about the perfect play, and react.

Last edited:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

Yep. Milbury and Micheletti were right on the money with Kreider the other night. He thinks way to hard about the game. He has all the talent in the world, but he just freezes up by trying to think of "the perfect play" or whatever it is he's trying to do.

He needs to just let go, and play hockey. Feel the flow of the game, and react based on that and not overthink it.

He'd be a monster if he didn't keep second guessing his choices 100% of the time. He can tone it down a bit.

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC
Yep. Milbury and Micheletti were right on the money with Kreider the other night. He thinks way to hard about the game. He has all the talent in the world, but he just freezes up by trying to think of "the perfect play" or whatever it is he's trying to do.

He needs to just let go, and play hockey. Feel the flow of the game, and react based on that and not overthink it.

He'd be a monster if he didn't keep second guessing his choices 100% of the time. He can tone it down a bit.

The problem is that he doesn't make good plays on instinct. He tried to learn to make better plays and its ruined him. Even when he played well he wasn't making good passes, he was just getting breakaways and scoring, and playing physically.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Kreider always misses the net. He can't shoot accurately on the rush at all which is a big problem for someone whose game is premised on speed. If he's stationary he can pick corners but it seems like more than half of his shots taken in stride miss the net.

He's an NHL player so I think he can shoot accurately, he's trying to pick corners and that isn't helping. If they put him on right side, even to just give me him a different look, he'll see the net at a better angle for his forehand. The guy needs to simplify his game, get shots on goal from anywhere, and take the puck to the net instead of around the back of it. He's keeping himself on the perimeter and that's not his game. He's so not involved and dragging down his line mates, the whole team really.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
He's over thinking and over skating. Needs to slow down and let the game come to him a bit more. Use that speed burst to change the pace and catch some d flat footed now and then. Also some people get better when they analyze every second of their play hit I don't think he's one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad