Confirmed with Link: Chris Higgins PTO with Flames

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Hahah I wouldn't go that far.

The flames were one of the first teams to contact his agent when he was bought out and he was interested in them from the beginning as well.
Last season was a rough one no doubt but he's motivated and feels that he has something to prove. Been working out and skating all summer.
Gulutzan laid it out to him and he knows what he has to do to make the team. They would want him to focus of being a depth player and work hard on the PK, as it's always been one of his strongest qualities on the ice.
Some Van fans are bitter, but let's be honest here. He's always been a strong 2nd liner but as he got older he developed as a 3rd line depth locker room leader. After the cup loss and the teams identity(minus the leadership of the Sedins) shifted I feel he was forced to fill the secondary scoring holes left behind from trades and free agent departures. It just didn't suit him well and fans who don't recognize the game beyond stats were quick to jump on him. He wasn't a big fan of Desjardins and said lately that he had lost the team at times. He always said that Gulutzan was one of the people in Van management that had a real grip of the game. But life goes on and here he is now looking forward to continuing his career in Calgary.
Hopefully look forward to being on here this season.

This is bang on. Higgins was likely the most underrated Canuck during his time there and only last season he was not an effective player who produced like a 2nd liner almost exclusively at even strength while providing good 2-way play and penalty killing.

The injury might affect his game but I think he's still got game left in him, I think this is a really smart PTO and I'm expecting him to earn a spot.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Encouraging words from HiggsBroson. Like the PTO signing. Hopefully his injury is behind him and he can earn a spot. I always liked Higgins.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
PTOs are mostly garbage...dont hold your breath on that top RW spot

Yeah. Higgins I have more faith in than most though. Sounds like he was dealing with a foot injury, which really subtracts from any players ability to be effective.

I certainly don't think he is going to play on our top line or anything, but I think there is a reasonable chance he could make the team.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Always seemed like an effective bottom 6 guy, I have no issues with a guy like Higgins. Would rather have him than a goon :laugh: <glares at Bollig>

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
HiggsBroSon: Does he have any qualms about riding the bus on the farm, or is it NHL/Bust for him?
I think he'd be great as the call up guy/mentor in the AHL.

HiggsBroson

Feb 2, 2010
HiggsBroSon: Does he have any qualms about riding the bus on the farm, or is it NHL/Bust for him?
I think he'd be great as the call up guy/mentor in the AHL.

They said they would let him know early if managment believes he can make the team giving him more time to discuss other options. Honestly and this isn't just the aged whiskey I've consumed talking I think he makes the team. He's more skilled than some of the 4th line options all around. He may not be as physical but he's a smarter all around player plus his PK skills are still quality. His agent called him and said one of his younger clients was asked to watch video of game situation and comment on it. Every PK video was of chris. So besides having an awesome, more handsome younger brother the guy is doing something correctly.

But I guess AHL isn't out of the question

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
They said they would let him know early if managment believes he can make the team giving him more time to discuss other options. Honestly and this isn't just the aged whiskey I've consumed talking I think he makes the team. He's more skilled than some of the 4th line options all around. He may not be as physical but he's a smarter all around player plus his PK skills are still quality. His agent called him and said one of his younger clients was asked to watch video of game situation and comment on it. Every PK video was of chris. So besides having an awesome, more handsome younger brother the guy is doing something correctly.

But I guess AHL isn't out of the question
As a huge Stockton Heat fan, I am not going to lie. I would love him to play for the Heat and work with Morgan Klimchuk. Klimmer has the tools IMO to be very similar to your brother during his prime, he's already a hard worker, coachable and solid defensively/on the PK but a mmentor like your brother could really give him a big advantage.

That said I am a bigger Flames fan than Heat fan and him making the team would be because he makes them better and I want the team to be better.

So I guess I would be very happy with him anywhere in the organization.

YoungGuns

May 22, 2013
Calgary, AB
Didn't this guy not want to be in Calgary the first time around? Likely won't make the team anyways. Or maybe I am confusing him with Drury? Or maybe it was both guys..

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Didn't this guy not want to be in Calgary the first time around? Likely won't make the team anyways. Or maybe I am confusing him with Drury? Or maybe it was both guys..

It was both by my memory. However I don't think Higgins wanted to be in Canada period, so I'm not offended. Drury never wanted to be here and looked miserable the entire time. Again can't say I blame him, going from playing with prime Sakic, Forsberg and Tanguay to our train wreck Young Guns team. I'd be choked too.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
What I could root for in camp:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Hamilton
Ferland-Backlund-Frolik
Tkachuk-Bennett-Brouwer
Bouma-Stajan-Hathaway
Higgins/Chiasson

AHL:
Bollig
Vey
Prospects

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The media claimed he didn't want to play in Canada but he never once said anything negative about Calgary or Canada. He did however say he was coming off a really tough year and was looking or a fresh start. Which I think is fair

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
What I could root for in camp:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Hamilton
Ferland-Backlund-Frolik
Tkachuk-Bennett-Brouwer
Bouma-Stajan-Hathaway
Higgins/Chiasson

AHL:
Bollig
Vey
Prospects

Hamilton as the #1 RW is interesting. Freddie has some potential, I just think he needed more than 6 games to really show it. I don't think we'll see both Hathaway and Freddie make the team though. Shinkaruk likely makes it over them.

Just a thought I was having earlier, but if Bouma does well in camp, and appears to be over his injury, I wouldn't mind trying the following;

Gaudreau - Monahan - Bouma
Ferland - Backlund - Frolik
Tkachuk/Shinkaruk - Bennett - Brouwer
Higgins - Stajan - Chiasson/Hathaway

If Tkachuk stays after 9 games, Hunter gets slotted elsewhere or gets sent down.

Bouma put up 16 goals two seasons ago. He had a pretty bad year, but I don't think he was at 100% at any point. He's gritty, he can battle along the boards, and he can chip in those dirty type goals that the top line could use. IF he does decently, it would allow for a more balanced lineup. Higgins takes that 4th LW spot beside Stajan.

Last edited:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
To HiggsBroson:

Just want to ask you to do a favour for me: tell your brother that I personally really hated the way Chris was just shunted aside by the Canucks. Just showed no class whatsoever. "Hey, we decided we don't want you around, so get lost." like Garrison. Just a total and complete dick move with no need for it, and I hate that my team just can't stop doing this kind of ****. It's one thing if a player doesn't fit into the team's plans; you deal with it. There are ways of letting players get on with things...like, ooh I dunno, making trades without being dicks. Sadly, this didn't occur to Benningmeister. *******.

To Flames fans: this is just too bizarre. I can't think of a single player on your team I hate anymore. Take care of Shinkaruk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad