Confirmed with Link: Chris Drury named new assistant GM

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Speaking of lawyers. Gary Bettman is a lawyer and what he knows about hockey AFAIC is **** all. Go up and down the management links of NHL teams and there are long hockey backgrounds and histories regarding just about everyone with maybe the exception of John Chayka.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The old school hockey mentalities have really been holding back Canadian teams lately...gotta change how you evaluate players and approach drafting, trades, and development once you have better tools to do so

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
NHL GMs and Assistant GMs don't need to be "advanced stats guys" per se, insofar as being people with analytic backgrounds ala Chaykha. You can hire people to do the hard analysis for you, it just has to be something you value as GM, and factor heavily into decision making. No different from the various "capologists" that teams hire. Like any executive, a GM will surround themselves with experts in all the important areas of analysis, whether that's player or cap analysis, and it's up to them to allot the proper value to the info they receive.

Take the example of two former players, now GMs: Steve Yzerman and Marc Bergevin. Do I think either guy can delve into statistical analysis the way Rob Vollman or some of the people on this forum can? No, probably not. But I know based on how Tampa conducts business that Yzerman is properly factoring such experts and the work they do, into his decision-making, whereas Bergevin receives a detailed statistical presentation on why trading Subban for Weber is a terrible idea, makes the trade anyway, and fires his analyst afterwards. Then you have Lou Lamoriello and Brendan Shanahan in Toronto, as old school as it gets, running a team that is very clearly prioritizing advanced statistical analysis.

So this whole notion about GMs needing to be non-players is bogus. It's an argument that I'm sure owners love because some of them are starting to replace expensive hockey people GMs with analytics guys because hey, analytics guys make presentations and generally work for peanuts, but in reality these people are better off being experts and advisers that are hired by GMs with experience navigating the hockey world at all levels, who have to do more than look at stats. There's talent relations, player evaluation, culture building, hiring and firing, deal-making, etc. GMs have to be good at everything, including the politicking that comes with any management level job.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Most players do not have the acumen for dealing with this stuff. This is why Sather was a terrible GM for as long as he was. They go by their "gut". That they know the game blah blah blah

GM you basically need to be a lawyer and a negotiator. How many full time athletes have spent the time in school etc learning the ins and outs of contracts etc. Then add in all the analytics now and PR etc

its simply the continuation of the good ol' boys club of the NHL.

we didn't hire a former player to be gm. jeff gorton isn't a former player but he now has an assistant gm who is a very intelligent former player and help him gain perspective when needed. sounds like the best of both worlds to me

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Love it. Drury has a great head for the game and has been getting rave reviews in every area he's worked with the organization.

My thoughts exactly.

My other thought is that we have too many Boston guys in the organization. :laugh:

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
If he took an active part in making sure Buch came over this year and in signing Vesey, then this is well-deserved. Helping to keep us young and exciting in an era devoid of early draft picks is no easy task. Thanks Drury!

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016
Can we please have a title change to "Chris Drury named Assistant to the General Manager"?

The Mouth

Blueshirt Underground on You Tube
May 20, 2009
www.facebook.com
Didn't we buy out this clown NOT to Play ? Now we put him back on the payroll ? Big Picture it doesnt matter. But I dislike Chris Drury's face.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
My thoughts.

Don't understand the hate for Drury based on his time here.

The guy was a good Captain and teammate. He gave it his all, just didn't have much left. Can't hate on him for the contract. We needed a guy like Drury at the time. Preferred we had just kept Nylander, who had great chemistry with Jagr, rather than sign Gomez who just never fit with 68.

People honestly believe Callahan was a better leader and captain than Drury haha. I don't get the hate. They base their opinion on his play on the ice. That's it.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
My thoughts exactly.

My other thought is that we have too many Boston guys in the organization. :laugh:

I'd much rather see a bunch of younger Bostonians in charge than old Canadians. The landscape of the sport is changing dramatically away from Canada right now. Not to say anything about Canadians or their capabilities, mostly it's good to see younger faces and from places where hockey has both a long tradition and is also experiencing some real growth and activity. The NCAA, USHL, and the USNDP are great programs to have familiarity with as they are becoming hotter and hotter for development.

GraveyTrain9

Mar 13, 2008
New York
really wish Drury had a more memorable playing career with NYR. I always loved the way he played the game but when I hear the name Chris Drury, the first thing I think about is how much of a free agent bust he was for us. It wasn't his fault that he was grossly overpaid but its still a shame.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
His knee(s) were broken beyond repair and he retired
IIRC He only retired after the buyout. He could have retired prior to it and saved the Rangers the cap space. Instead he chose to force the buyout and a cap hit to a team that was already struggling with cap space. It was his right and Slats' fault for offering such a poor contract. However many fans, including myself, were livid because Drury was well over paid for what he was producing and him retiring after the buyout seemed like greed rather than the supposed team player he was purported to be.

Vesey said Drury was a big part of his signing. Drury was in Russia last year with Buch for a little bit. Seems to be capable and have put in the work. Good for him and good for the club.
As a former Hobey Baker winner and an organization that has had more Hobey Baker award winners play for them than any other, I have to think that the Rangers are seeing the future where the NCAA is a resource and are planning to exploit it. Good long term strategy for them and if Drury is good at it, perhaps I'll get over my loathing for him.

It's good news, but it's not like its going to make his weekend or anything.
I think it ruined Mark Messier's Christmas, he must be pissed!

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
IIRC He only retired after the buyout. He could have retired prior to it and saved the Rangers the cap space. Instead he chose to force the buyout and a cap hit to a team that was already struggling with cap space. It was his right and Slats' fault for offering such a poor contract. However many fans, including myself, were livid because Drury was well over paid for what he was producing and him retiring after the buyout seemed like greed rather than the supposed team player he was purported to be.

And yet nobody is giving Girardi **** for not retiring.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
girardi plans to play...if we bought him out and then he immediately announced his retirement then it would be a similar situation

I just think it's ridiculous people blame a player for not throwing away millions. Nobody in their right mind would do that.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Drury was bought out on June 29, retired mid-August. That tells me there wasn't much interest from other teams trying to sign him, or that it wasn't significant enough for him to want to relocate

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Very good to see both parties, right on, their chests when sleeping, "come together again." Must've been pretty hard for them, EH?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad