Confirmed with Link: Chris Drury named new assistant GM

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Like i said in the other thread, Drury has proved to be valuable in the front office, so i'm happy with this move.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Vesey named Drury as one of the biggest reasons he signed with us. It just shows you how much respect people have for him. He is well-educated, and did great in his previous role.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Drury is a very smart guy and holds a lot of respect around the league. Happy to see him here in NY. Next step, bring in Marty St Louis.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
It's good news, but it's not like its going to make his weekend or anything.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I really like Drury and I love this move. It shows the rest of the franchise and the players that if you put the work in you could stick with this team for a long time. It speaks to the culture they've built up over the past decade or so after a dreadful run through the dark days of no playoff hockey.

When you are around the team events and see guys like Gilbert and Graves and tons of other ex-Rangers hanging around and continuing to participate for the overall good of the team, it speaks to how well this club is run. First class organization from the bottom to the top and that kind of environment only enhances your chances at success.

Congrats to Chris, I think he will be a very effective asset to the Rangers. Hes already been instrumental in getting Vesey here and his ties around the league are only going to help the management of this team in the future. Way to go.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
His game was shot by the time he made it to NYC, but he was always well respected for his intelligence and personality, so seems good.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
His game was shot by the time he made it to NYC, but he was always well respected for his intelligence and personality, so seems good.

By the end of his tenure his game was certainly shot, but he had two solid 20 goal, almost 60 point seasons for us. Pretty close to his average production over his career, with the only better seasons coming on stacked Colorado and Buffalo teams. He was overpaid to be certain, but we got a couple of good years out of Drury.

Glad to see him still with the organization.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Really like the culture they are instilling. Promoting from within--Schocenfield always seemed to be one of Sather's cronies, but I don't think I've ever seen him do anything major for the team.

Totally random side note, but with the Rangers showing how they are working with former players of the team, I do wonder if that might be a discussion they intend on having with Dan Girardi after this season. Girardi retiring means they could probably ease him into a light-duty coaching position, which would give him a life after hockey, but buying out Girardi means he can't be associated with the organization for a minimum of 6 years.

NYRKindms

Dec 16, 2009
This continuing idea of hiring former players in to management roles is stupid but I am not going to let it ruin my weekend.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

He was coming off a 37 goal 69 point regular season, and 8 goal 13 point playoffs where he essentially ended the Rangers run with that ****ing goal.

Talk about revisionist history.

His game fell off in 2009. Injuries finished him in 2010. He had two productive seasons here.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
His was not a good contract for us but he's a smart guy and he's done good work getting our prospects and their development up to speed and then getting Vesey on board--so I'm fine with this.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
His was not a good contract for us but he's a smart guy and he's done good work getting our prospects and their development up to speed and then getting Vesey on board--so I'm fine with this.

truth. He's a highly respected individual with a lot of brains. Always good to have these types of assets

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
He was coming off a 37 goal 69 point regular season, and 8 goal 13 point playoffs where he essentially ended the Rangers run with that ****ing goal.

Talk about revisionist history.

His game fell off in 2009. Injuries finished him in 2010. He had two productive seasons here.

part of my soul died with that goal

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
part of my soul died with that goal

I'll never forget it. I was watching the game with my brother. Think we sat in silence from the time between Drury scoring and Afinogenov scoring.

No angry outbursts. No wall punching. Nothing thrown. Just... silence. Disbelief.

That 06-07 squad was the second best Rangers team since the lockout. I had big hopes for them.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I'll never forget it. I was watching the game with my brother. Think we sat in silence from the time between Drury scoring and Afinogenov scoring.

No angry outbursts. No wall punching. Nothing thrown. Just... silence. Disbelief.

That 06-07 squad was the second best Rangers team since the lockout. I had big hopes for them.

That was a KILLER. One of the worst goals against, ever. I remember being with a large group of family members and having to leave to go outside to throw a tantrum and everyone that was there that wasnt a big hockey/Ranger fan was like uhhh... omg wtf.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
So far he definitely deserves it if this offseason is any indicator.

NYRKindms

Dec 16, 2009
How is it stupid?

Most players do not have the acumen for dealing with this stuff. This is why Sather was a terrible GM for as long as he was. They go by their "gut". That they know the game blah blah blah

GM you basically need to be a lawyer and a negotiator. How many full time athletes have spent the time in school etc learning the ins and outs of contracts etc. Then add in all the analytics now and PR etc

its simply the continuation of the good ol' boys club of the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad