Confirmed with Link: Chris Drury named new assistant GM

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I just think it's ridiculous people blame a player for not throwing away millions. Nobody in their right mind would do that.

You're damn right nobody with half a brain would. It's pretty self righteous and stupid to say a player with a finite career should give up millions. Could you imagine what would happen if the shoe was on the other foot? Actually we can, it's called the NFL, teams get rid of players in a heart beat.

I begrudge Drury nothing, that contract was not his fault. The Rangers are so mad at Drury for making a sound business decision they actually made him Assistant GM and employed him for years advising their own up and coming players. Lol

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
His stoic demeanor is better suited for the front office. For the Rangers sake I hope he does well here.

The whole refusal to retire until he was bought out scenario didn't and doesnt sit well with me.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
As the years go on, that Drury contract has become a pretty good investment. Drury had a significant impact on Callahan's and Dubinsky's development. Dubinsky was the centerpiece in the trade that returned Nash. We got a cup run out of the core that developed under his leadership. Drury was also key aspect of Vesey's recruitment.

Also, love that quote from him yesterday to the effect that all he's ever wanted to do in life is win a cup with the Rangers. And here he is, still at it. The guy is living quite a life.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
If he was born in Moscow, was named Kristof Druzinski and won the Little League World Series for Dynamo but had the same exact NHL career in every other respect this board would consider him the devil incarnate.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Is there anything in particular that makes you think so?

He's from Connecticut, won the Little League World Series and singlehandedly made an entire generation of young players like Dubinsky and Callahan into NHL-caliber players (because obviously those guys wouldn't have made it without the influence of Drury). How could he not be an advanced stats guy? He probably also is an expert in classical music, fines wines, and the general theory of relativity.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Does anyone have a link for this whole refusal to retire thing? As far as I know, he was going to play the next season and honor his contract which is why the Rangers bought him out. He couldn't find a job that interested him after he was bought out and he retired. What's the issue with that? A contract was signed and he's entitled to that money. Like someone else said, how many people are turning down millions to be a nice guy?

He played to basically his career averages his first two seasons then broke his hand in the 09 playoffs and his body pretty much broke down after that. His tenure here was obviously underwhelming and frustrating but it's not because of lack of effort. He set a good example and wanted to win but his body simply had nothing left to give. Too many people hold his stoic personality against him. Just because he's soft spoken and doesn't get pissed on camera when things aren't going well means he must not care according to some.

I was indifferent to his hire last year but over the past year it seems like he's done a lot of good including the Vesey signing. I've got no issue with promoting him if the front office feels it's the right call. I'll trust Gorton and staff since their moves of late show a plan and that they seem to know what they're doing unlike the past few years.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Who cares if he didn't want to retire. Why would he leave behind millions? This isn't a charity.

Drury's body gave up on him. Blame the Rangers and Slats for giving him that contract.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Not buying it that he was looking to play up until he retired. Guys half as good find roles for less money.

It's possible he only wanted to play in this specific area. Maybe he only wanted to play for the Rangers. No one really knows but I also can't see many teams lining up for a broken down 34 year old on a rapid decline who had 1 goal in 24 games the previous season.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Not buying it that he was looking to play up until he retired. Guys half as good find roles for less money.

Regardless of what he wanted, people can't expect a player to throw away millions just so the team can escape the financial trouble caused by the contract he was given.

If you want to blame someone, blame Sather.

In the first 4 years, he earned a total of $30,250,000. The 5th year, which was bought out, he would earn $5m but with the buy-out, he only got $3,33 while the Rangers were left with a cap hit of $3,717 in 2011-12 and $1,667 in 2012-13*

The buy-out actually cost him over $1.5m, something most people don't earn in a lifetime. And people still judge him for not retiring to lose even more.

* Not sure if this was erased because of the new CBA

Last edited:

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
Surely it's evident that the Rangers didn't take the way Chris Drury retired personally. If they'd thought he acted in any way unprofessionally, there's no way they'd consider him for a prime front-office job.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
It's possible he only wanted to play in this specific area. Maybe he only wanted to play for the Rangers. No one really knows but I also can't see many teams lining up for a broken down 34 year old on a rapid decline who had 1 goal in 24 games the previous season.

He may have hoped to sign with a contender.

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
His stoic demeanor is better suited for the front office. For the Rangers sake I hope he does well here.

The whole refusal to retire until he was bought out scenario didn't and doesnt sit well with me.

He is such a stoned faced person that sitting across from him during a player negotiation has to be tough for an agent. That and playing poker.

I feel like at the time I was bothered that he didn't retire. But, I understand why he did what he did. I would have done the same thing.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
He is such a stoned faced person that sitting across from him during a player negotiation has to be tough for an agent.

LOL. Yes, all the player agents are crawling into their holes in fear of Chris Drury's stone-faced demeanor. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Some of the things that people invent to glorify this man are just amazing.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
NHL GMs and Assistant GMs don't need to be "advanced stats guys" per se, insofar as being people with analytic backgrounds ala Chaykha. You can hire people to do the hard analysis for you, it just has to be something you value as GM, and factor heavily into decision making. No different from the various "capologists" that teams hire. Like any executive, a GM will surround themselves with experts in all the important areas of analysis, whether that's player or cap analysis, and it's up to them to allot the proper value to the info they receive.

Take the example of two former players, now GMs: Steve Yzerman and Marc Bergevin. Do I think either guy can delve into statistical analysis the way Rob Vollman or some of the people on this forum can? No, probably not. But I know based on how Tampa conducts business that Yzerman is properly factoring such experts and the work they do, into his decision-making, whereas Bergevin receives a detailed statistical presentation on why trading Subban for Weber is a terrible idea, makes the trade anyway, and fires his analyst afterwards. Then you have Lou Lamoriello and Brendan Shanahan in Toronto, as old school as it gets, running a team that is very clearly prioritizing advanced statistical analysis.

So this whole notion about GMs needing to be non-players is bogus. It's an argument that I'm sure owners love because some of them are starting to replace expensive hockey people GMs with analytics guys because hey, analytics guys make presentations and generally work for peanuts, but in reality these people are better off being experts and advisers that are hired by GMs with experience navigating the hockey world at all levels, who have to do more than look at stats. There's talent relations, player evaluation, culture building, hiring and firing, deal-making, etc. GMs have to be good at everything, including the politicking that comes with any management level job.

Chayka played hockey. And based on what he is doing this summer, don't be so quick to hang a genius label on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad