Confirmed with Link: Chris DiDomenico TRADED for Ville Pokka

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Thanks for the report. So, from what I'm getting, Pokka was never given the chance to show if he can play at the NHL level or is it a case of him being given the chance but not being able to establish himself?

Yeah, aside from being one of the black aces to sit up in the press box in case of injury during the playoffs and getting some preseason action, he never got a call up to the big club. I haven't watched a Rockford game in a while, so I honestly can't give a scouting report for what he was like, but he seemed to put up at least decent numbers down in the AHL so I can't say if he would've transitioned well into being an NHLer.

Given that we appear to be on the verge of a retool though, I'd have a hard time imagining that Bowman would trade someone that he believed had more than third line potential, though. Maybe giving him too much credit, but just my two cents.

Reactions: Blarginator

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Harpur replacement in Belleville and possibly more... I would not automagically say he is a Wideman replacement

GuyBoucherEvilGenius

Nov 23, 2017
Wow, making me eat my words from earlier - no shot I thought anyone would give up anything for DiDo.

I really like this deal for Ottawa. Collect as many young D as you can and see who can develop into what you need.

I remember reading about Pokka a few years ago being hailed as a smooth top 4 stay at home D with good instincts/hockey IQ in the mold of a Matt Carle or Jonas Brodin or Hjalmarsson. That's something we definitely need.

A bit concerning though that two organizations have already dealt him. Nevertheless, I can't see any way that he's less valuable than DiDo. He has to have a higher ceiling.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Good trade I guess. Seems to be coherent with the plan to get younger and faster. DiDo, despite playing well in his short time here, is 28 and not part of the future plans here. I'm glad that his comeback to the NHL is still on, and that he'll have the opportunity to prove himself on a team that lacks depth and that could use him. Wish him the best!

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Why wouldn't Chicago claim him? Just to avoid the bad repertoire

They were already at 47 contracts prior to the trade, not sure what their plans are for the deadline but teams like to keep a little space with regards to the contract limit. Also if they can place him in the AHL now without waivers if they so choose to use him as depth incase of injury.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
It's worth a shot I suppose but don't expect much. Chicago have gone with ten different defensemen this year and he wasn't one of them despite being their only tangible benefit from the Nick Leddy deal. Pokka was a minus 25 last year and has a reputation as a weak defender. He can provide some offense from the blue line however.

Chicago seem to think he's plateaued. Let's hope they're wrong.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I don't mind the move.

Dido would be a UFA anyways so what have the Sens really given up if he's available again this summer they could just re-sign him. Either way the Sens get Pokka on an expiring contract but as a RFA so they can take a good look after the deadline in the NHL if they want and by summer decide to extend him or not.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
Was listening to NHL network on the satellite radio in the car and they glossed over the trade. Boomer said he saw Pokka play at the World Cup a few years ago and he was terrible. For what it's worth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad