Prospect Info: CHL, NCAA & European Prospects Thread | Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Chainey fell in the draft from his fifth round projection to the seventh round so he may be considered a steal if he can translate to the pro game.

New Jersey maintains Chainey's rights until June 1, 2019 according to CapFriendly.

New Jersey Devils - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Chainey has been playing LD on the first pair over Jared McIsaac for Halifax and plays on the PP and PK.

His point and game played totals have increased each year since he started in the Q. His +/- has also gone from negative (-25 last season) to positive (+21 this season) suggesting he is handling his defensive assignments better, or facing lower QOC which I find doubtful if he is getting first pair minutes.

Here are some older reviews from before this season:

July 2017

He’s intuitive on the ice- displaying cool composure which helps in the defensive zone, as do his solid positioning skills and quick skating. Moves the puck out of danger smartly. He could bulk up some to help handle stronger opponents. On offense he has power play quarterback experience to go with an accurate, rapid-release shot and precision passing.

Kevin Wickersham

Jocktan Chainey

June 2017

Big solid “Q” defender who is a solid, well-balanced skater who logs big minutes in both ends of the ice, due to his good hockey head and positioning. Not flashy, and probably would be even better if he was a tad quicker and a bit edgier. Needs to use his body more to handle attackers, but overall projects to a mid line-up rearguard if he continues to develop his game.

—Bill Placzek—

Jocktan Chainey - NHL - DraftSite.com

5/23/2017

Promising two-way defenseman with excellent footwork and sound instincts. Chainey reacts to dangerous situations with both poise and confidence, and being a very good skater helps maintain a tight gap and win a fair amount of footraces. Although he shared power play ice with Nico Hischier, Chainey was Halifax’s nominal power play quarterback. He has a good, accurate shot and a quick release, and when pressured will use bank passes effectively. Getting stronger will be important as he struggles with one-on-one battles, but his defensive-zone play is quite good for a puck mover.

Steve Kournianos

The Draft Analyst | 2017 NHL Mock Draft: Round 5 Picks 125-155 (May)

30/10/16

Drafted: 2015 QMJHL Draft – Round #1 (14th overall) by Shawinigan Cataractes
Chainey is a poised, controlling defenceman who can play both roles of an offensive defenceman and a defensive defenceman. Chainey is rarely caught out of position and is a solid skater in tight but needs to work on his man-for-man coverage as he is not overly physical and tends to lose his check. Not a huge point producer. In his rookie season, Chainey posted 5 goals and 18 points in 46 games between Shawinigan and Halifax with a combined 14 penalty minutes. Offensive defenceman just starting to scratch his full potential. Solid NHL size. High mobility. Confident on the PP this year. Can play the physical game but needs to get stronger. May be a guy that becomes well-rounded or all-out offensive, hard to tell right now. Lots of skills to work with there. Big upcoming year for him.

MARSHALL MACKINDER

Prospect Profiles: Nikita Popugaev, Moose Jaw Warriors; Michael DiPietro, Windsor Spitfires; Jocktan Chainey, Halifax Mooseheads

1)So sounded like he needs to get stronger, which many kids do, especially the younger ones. Needs to work on his skating too, and that's fine, pretty much expected for a 7th rounder. Thinks the game pretty well? sounds great.

I imagine most of those evaluations were from the time of the draft, or even before that. I'd like to see one that has tracked his progression through this year. Is his skating improved? Is he stronger, and playing more physical?

2)I imagine his +/- is due to improvement on his end, but also, and probably more so, due to the team being better. Last year Nico was a +20, and almost everyone else was a -.

Reactions: Tao Jones

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
Chainey fell in the draft from his fifth round projection to the seventh round so he may be considered a steal if he can translate to the pro game.

New Jersey maintains Chainey's rights until June 1, 2019 according to CapFriendly.

New Jersey Devils - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Chainey has been playing LD on the first pair over Jared McIsaac for Halifax and plays on the PP and PK.

Surely that can't be right? Don't they hold longer his rights?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Michigan, Ohio State and Notre Dame three quarters of the NCAA Forzen Four? My goodness how has NCAA hockey changed?

If more traditional NCAA powerhouses ever become "hockey schools", the US will dominate hockey. Just imagine Alabama leading the coaches poll :laugh:

Reactions: NJDevils17

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Michigan, Ohio State and Notre Dame three quarters of the NCAA Forzen Four? My goodness how has NCAA hockey changed?

If more traditional NCAA powerhouses ever become "hockey schools", the US will dominate hockey. Just imagine Alabama leading the coaches poll :laugh:

Don’t even suggest such a thing. I just threw up in my mouth.

Insert boo this man gif

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
A brief summary of the Devils prospects:

AHL:
John Quenneville (C/LW): Binghamton Devils, 41, 14+20=34, -10.
Blake Speers (RW): Binghamton Devils, 60, 11+6=17, -14.
Nathan Bastian (RW): Binghamton Devils, 61, 9+7=16, -20.
Brandon Gignac (C): Binghamton Devils, 21, 2+1=3, -6.
Mackenzie Blackwood (G), Bingahamton Devils, 32, 3.41, .882.
Brett Seney (LW): Binghamton Devils, 5, 0+2=2, 1. Merrimack College, NCAA, 37, 13+19=32, -4.

OHL:
Michael McLeod (C), Mississauga Steelheads: 38, 16+28=44, -1. Playoffs: 4, 4+3=7, 2.
Marian Studenic (RW), Hamilton Bulldogs: 62, 20+28= 48, 24. Playoffs: 5, 0+2=2, 2.
Evan Cormier (G), Saginaw Spirit: 61, 3.18, .900. Playoffs: 4, 6.00, .836.

QMJHL:
Jocktan Chainey (D), Halifax Mooseheads: 66, 7+33=40, 21. Playoffs: 5, 2+2=4, 4.

WHL:
Colby Sissons (D), Swift Current Broncos: 72, 13+58=71, 46. Playoffs: 5, 1+3=4, 0.

NCAA:
Joey Anderson (RW), Univ. of Minnesota-Duluth: 34, 11+16=27, 14.
Jeremy Davies (D), Northeastern Univ.: 36, 6+29=35, 18.
Reilly Walsh (D), Harvard Univ.: 33, 7+13=20, -2.
Matt Hellickson (D), Univ. of Notre Dame: 38, 3+9=12, 4.

VHL/KHL/MHL:
Mikhail Maltsev (C), SKA St. Petersburg, KHL, 18, 0+5=5, 5. SKA-Neva St. Petersburg, VHL, 25, 5+12=17, 12. Playoffs: 11, 3+1=4, 3. SKA-1946 St. Petersburg, MHL, 7, 2+0=2, 1.
Yegor Zaitsev (D), Dynamo Moskva, KHL, 28, 0+2=2, 0. MHK Dynamo Moskva, MHL, 7, 2+1=3, 1.
Nikita Popugaev (LW), CSKA Moskva, KHL, 12, 0+1=1, 0. Playoffs: 3, 1+0=1, 1. Zvezda Chekhov, VHL, 14, 3+2=5, -1. Krasnaya Armiya Moskva, MHL, 3, 1+1=2, 3. Prince George Gougars, WHL, 13, 2+5=7, -13.

SHL:
Jesper Boqvist (C), Brynäs IF, SHL, 23, 3+10=13, -1. Playoffs: 8, 0+1=1, -3. Brynäs IF J20, SuperElit, 4, 0+5=5, 4.
Fabian Zetterlund (RW), Färjestad BK, SHL, 35, 3+4=7, -2. Playoffs: 6, 1+1=2, -1. Timrå IK, Allsvenskan, 8, 2+3=5, 2. Färjestad BK J20, SuperElit, 5, 5+1=6, 4.

A SM-liiga:
Aarne Talvitie (C), Blues U20, Jr. A SM-liiga, 41, 34+24=58, 31. Playoffs: 3, 0+1=1, -4.

NLA:
Gilles Senn (G), HC Davos, NLA, 30, 2.92, .905. Playoffs: 6, 3.19, .894.

Reactions: Nubmer6

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
A lot of the AHL guys were awful this year and is kind of the reason why it's still nice if your prospects are on at least a semi-competitive team. I know nobody cares about wins and losses at the minor league/college/etc level but it still helps overall development being in a winning environment.

Reactions: Devils Dominion

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Well...at least Talvitie seemed to have a nice season. But yeah, not much to get excited about on that list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad