Prospect Info: CHL, NCAA & European Prospects Thread | Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
As a Penn State fan, the Frozen Four is going to suck. I'll really be pulling for Joey Anderson. Or else, as much as I despise them, ND wins with Hellickson being the MVP.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
If we got him that would be amazing

I think any LD has got to look at our team and see a shot at making the club. Greene isn’t getting and younger (or better), Moore is a coin toss whether he’ll be back or not. Leaves us with Mueller and Butcher at the moment.

Reactions: Aethon

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Gaudette signed with Vancouver leaving before his senior year. Waiting to hear about Davies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
All 3 of Northeasterns top line signed with their NHL team.

You'll really see how good Davies is next year.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Thought the name Brickley sounded familiar, did a little digging, his uncle Andy played for the Devils, in fact he played on the Devils first playoff team in 1987-88.

But before you think there is a slight chance we got an in, his uncle also played for the Bruins, Pens, and Flyers, spending most of his career with the Bruins. And since it's his uncle who is from Boston area, I'm going to assume Daniel's dad is from there as well. I wouldn't put a single hope on this kid coming here because on top of all that I hear the other team that is in consideration is Detroit.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
What's the book on Chainey? Stats wise he's having a solid junior year, but of all our prospects he seems to get the least attention. Being a 7th rounder will play into that too

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
What's the book on Chainey? Stats wise he's having a solid junior year, but of all our prospects he seems to get the least attention. Being a 7th rounder will play into that too

If he was born a week later he would not have been eligible to be drafted last year. It would be interesting to see where he would have gone if this was his first draft year.

Reactions: My3Sons

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
If he was born a week later he would not have been eligible to be drafted last year. It would be interesting to see where he would have gone if this was his first draft year.
I noticed he's still 18 and he's our youngest prospect from last year's draft... which would probably make him our youngest prospect period.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Yeah Chainey has had a good year, but he is so far away still from being in our radar that I don't think about him. Since he is so young still. Probably still has another few more years in juniors

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Yeah Chainey has had a good year, but he is so far away still from being in our radar that I don't think about him. Since he is so young still. Probably still has another few more years in juniors
Can he stay in juniors more then one more year without us losing his rights?

I've thought Chainey was a very interesting pick from the get go. He had decent #'s as a young 16 year old in his -1 year. Then decent #'s last year. He has decent size as well.

This year his stats are just a tick below team mate Jared McIsaac who is 6 months older and expected to be a 1st round pick.

Unfortuneately what I know about Chainey is strictly from the box scores. Can he skate? Can he defend? How does he think the game? These things I don't know.

Like most draftees I was expecting 2 years in juniors post draft and then on to the AHL, (or maybe ECHL given the # of drafted d-men we have coming through the system).

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ

Can he stay in juniors more then one more year without us losing his rights?

I've thought Chainey was a very interesting pick from the get go. He had decent #'s as a young 16 year old in his -1 year. Then decent #'s last year. He has decent size as well.

This year his stats are just a tick below team mate Jared McIsaac who is 6 months older and expected to be a 1st round pick.

Unfortuneately what I know about Chainey is strictly from the box scores. Can he skate? Can he defend? How does he think the game? These things I don't know.

Like most draftees I was expecting 2 years in juniors post draft and then on to the AHL, (or maybe ECHL given the # of drafted d-men we have coming through the system).

Chainey fell in the draft from his fifth round projection to the seventh round so he may be considered a steal if he can translate to the pro game.

New Jersey maintains Chainey's rights until June 1, 2019 according to CapFriendly.

New Jersey Devils - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Chainey has been playing LD on the first pair over Jared McIsaac for Halifax and plays on the PP and PK.

His point and game played totals have increased each year since he started in the Q. His +/- has also gone from negative (-25 last season) to positive (+21 this season) suggesting he is handling his defensive assignments better, or facing lower QOC which I find doubtful if he is getting first pair minutes.

Here are some older reviews from before this season:

July 2017

He’s intuitive on the ice- displaying cool composure which helps in the defensive zone, as do his solid positioning skills and quick skating. Moves the puck out of danger smartly. He could bulk up some to help handle stronger opponents. On offense he has power play quarterback experience to go with an accurate, rapid-release shot and precision passing.

Kevin Wickersham

Jocktan Chainey

June 2017

Big solid “Q” defender who is a solid, well-balanced skater who logs big minutes in both ends of the ice, due to his good hockey head and positioning. Not flashy, and probably would be even better if he was a tad quicker and a bit edgier. Needs to use his body more to handle attackers, but overall projects to a mid line-up rearguard if he continues to develop his game.

—Bill Placzek—

Jocktan Chainey - NHL - DraftSite.com

5/23/2017

Promising two-way defenseman with excellent footwork and sound instincts. Chainey reacts to dangerous situations with both poise and confidence, and being a very good skater helps maintain a tight gap and win a fair amount of footraces. Although he shared power play ice with Nico Hischier, Chainey was Halifax’s nominal power play quarterback. He has a good, accurate shot and a quick release, and when pressured will use bank passes effectively. Getting stronger will be important as he struggles with one-on-one battles, but his defensive-zone play is quite good for a puck mover.

Steve Kournianos

The Draft Analyst | 2017 NHL Mock Draft: Round 5 Picks 125-155 (May)

30/10/16

Drafted: 2015 QMJHL Draft – Round #1 (14th overall) by Shawinigan Cataractes
Chainey is a poised, controlling defenceman who can play both roles of an offensive defenceman and a defensive defenceman. Chainey is rarely caught out of position and is a solid skater in tight but needs to work on his man-for-man coverage as he is not overly physical and tends to lose his check. Not a huge point producer. In his rookie season, Chainey posted 5 goals and 18 points in 46 games between Shawinigan and Halifax with a combined 14 penalty minutes. Offensive defenceman just starting to scratch his full potential. Solid NHL size. High mobility. Confident on the PP this year. Can play the physical game but needs to get stronger. May be a guy that becomes well-rounded or all-out offensive, hard to tell right now. Lots of skills to work with there. Big upcoming year for him.

MARSHALL MACKINDER

Prospect Profiles: Nikita Popugaev, Moose Jaw Warriors; Michael DiPietro, Windsor Spitfires; Jocktan Chainey, Halifax Mooseheads

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad