Prospect Info: CHL, NCAA & European Prospects Thread | Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
When you watch that video of McLeod, does anyone not think he's ready for pro?
I hope they give him a legit shot at making this team in the Top 9, especially after Zajac's injury.

He def looked really good, but is the competition a consideration there? The shot advantage after 2 periods was heavily titled towards Miss. And this was clearly a highlight game for McLeod. In later rounds he was shut down pretty good.

And you do see that his shot needs work. And it really is the mechanics of it. He does not set his feet to shoot. you can see it on the 5th goal (also happened earlier in the game as well) Probably because he is more of a passer. He's looking to facilitate and when nothing is there is just slings it towards the goal.

But maybe that's something that is an area that NJ would like to work on, bring him in and get him with their skills coach. Get him more into a shooter's mentality.

I think overall he is a nice combo of size speed skill smarts. Can certainly see a faster more dynamic Zajac type player there. But again the competition need to be considered.

And that move on the 4th goal?:handclap:

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
He doesn't really need to go back to juniors to work on his shot. Coaching staff here can help him with that.

A big reason why Miss games can get those lopsided shot totals is because of Mikey. He is a possession driver.

Competition isn't a good consideration. All the best junior players play other junior teams.
Some good some really bad.

I don't think Miss is going to be very good next year either.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
McLeod's shooting mechanics are abysmal, he doesn't use his stick flex at all. It's all in front of him and a pushing motion. There is no forward lean in the shaft. All the great shooters shoot from behind their back foot.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
He def looked really good, but is the competition a consideration there? The shot advantage after 2 periods was heavily titled towards Miss. And this was clearly a highlight game for McLeod. In later rounds he was shut down pretty good.

And you do see that his shot needs work. And it really is the mechanics of it. He does not set his feet to shoot. you can see it on the 5th goal (also happened earlier in the game as well) Probably because he is more of a passer. He's looking to facilitate and when nothing is there is just slings it towards the goal.

But maybe that's something that is an area that NJ would like to work on, bring him in and get him with their skills coach. Get him more into a shooter's mentality.

I think overall he is a nice combo of size speed skill smarts. Can certainly see a faster more dynamic Zajac type player there. But again the competition need to be considered.

And that move on the 5th goal?:handclap:

The only team that shut him down was Eerie.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He doesn't really need to go back to juniors to work on his shot. Coaching staff here can help him with that.

A big reason why Miss games can get those lopsided shot totals is because of Mikey. He is a possession driver.

Competition isn't a good consideration. All the best junior players play other junior teams.

And this was obviously not a very good one. Thus the lopsided totals, and as noted this was a highlight game for Mikey.

The only team that shut him down was Eerie.

Yeah that one.

I'd like to see a shift by shift from one of those games.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
that's not what I'm getting at.

I'd just like to see how he looks against tougher comp.

From what I remember from those games as much as McLeod was shut down it was also a team issue too. In terms of offense McLeod creates a lot of his on the rush and while he was neutralized quite a bit in that regard, the few rushes he did make weren't very effective because his teammates were covered very well. But most of it came from the Otters offense suffocating the Steelheads and Mikey. While Mikey is a good defensive player the Otters rolled out line after line of top notch players, they played a very strong possession game in the Steelheads end and the shot clock reflected that just as much.

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
Rykov played (only) 9:40 yesterday in opening game of the new KHL season for St. Petersburg, probably because they played top favourites in CSKA who were the better team but SKA won 4:2.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
From what I remember from those games as much as McLeod was shut down it was also a team issue too. In terms of offense McLeod creates a lot of his on the rush and while he was neutralized quite a bit in that regard, the few rushes he did make weren't very effective because his teammates were covered very well. But most of it came from the Otters offense suffocating the Steelheads and Mikey. While Mikey is a good defensive player the Otters rolled out line after line of top notch players, they played a very strong possession game in the Steelheads end and the shot clock reflected that just as much.

Miss was pretty much a one line team. It isn't that hard to shut that down if you are good.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Miss was pretty much a one line team. It isn't that hard to shut that down if you are good.

The top-6 during the playoff run (and a good portion of the second half of the season) was:

R. McLeod - M. McLeod - Watson
Fox - Bastian - Tippett

They were definitely a well-built team (I'm not disagreeing with you that the top line did most of the heavy lifting though)

Erie was just that much of a powerhouse

Steelman

Sep 26, 2016

Mississauga is a top 3 team next year w/out Mcleod. There a #1 team in the East w/ Mcleod and Bastian. Not sure where you're getting that from. They will be a powerhouse team next year, especially if they get Mcleod, Bastian and Tippett back. They'll be competing for the OHL championship

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Mississauga is a top 3 team next year w/out Mcleod. There a #1 team in the East w/ Mcleod and Bastian. Not sure where you're getting that from. They will be a powerhouse team next year, especially if they get Mcleod, Bastian and Tippett back. They'll be competing for the OHL championship

Bastian won't be going back, and I'm not sure McLeod will either.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey

It is a very high chance that none of them are coming back I feel. Without them they are going to have a lot of issues.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Maltsev has a goal today in the U20's - looks to be playing top line as well from what Steve Kournianos tweeted.

btw, Zaitsev is captaining Russia U20 NT in this tournament, Maltsev is one of the alternates.

To add to this, Fabian Zetterlund also had 2 assists in the game (it was RUS vs. SWE)

Maltsev was playing top line C and Zetterlund was playing 2nd line LW

Mike27Devils

Apr 24, 2015
Our prospect team is going to be stacked. If I would have to guess the forward lines they would be..
Quennville Hischier Speers
Bratt Zacha Popeguyev
Boqvist McLeod Zetterlund
Studenic Bastian Talviteve
Cangelosi

Anderson won't be there because of college

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
To add to this, Fabian Zetterlund also had 2 assists in the game (it was RUS vs. SWE)

Maltsev was playing top line C and Zetterlund was playing 2nd line LW

there were guys here speculating he would be playing as a top line C for the U20 WJC this season, I was pretty skeptical. Very encouraging if it is indeed the case. Getting top line C duties now is encouraging in itself.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Aarne Talvitie started his season in the Finnish U20 league and scored 2G, 2A in his first game. Not a bad start.

Awesome! Is there any place we can watch highlights from that? I tried searching it up but to no avail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad