Prospect Info: CHL, NCAA & European Prospects Thread | Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
The only reason this is something to talk about is because there's literally nothing else to talk about. It's the middle of summer and a nothing tournament, who cares. That goes both ways, like it's neat Anderson and Talvitie had good showings but it doesn't matter to me at all.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Hoping Anderson progresses enough where we can sign him next summer. He might be my favorite prospect.
The question should become, has he improved to the point where he maybe a Zach Parise type prospect. I know last year's season didn't quite compare to that of Zach Parise's draft season but they are both very similar players, this season and WJC will be a good measuring stick compared to Parise's 03/04 season.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
The question should become, has he improved to the point where he maybe a Zach Parise type prospect. I know last year's season didn't quite compare to that of Zach Parise's draft season but they are both very similar players, this season and WJC will be a good measuring stick compared to Parise's 03/04 season.

I was hoping for a Guentzel type emergence. I know thats shooting high, but still.

Anderson put up similar numbers as a freshman to Guentzel

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
Asides from stats Guentzel is not a good comparison to Anderson at all. Totally different types of players.

Guentzel is a pure goal scorer who needs playmakers around him and players who do the dirty work for him. Joey Anderson is that player. Not necessarily a playmaker, but a guy who does it all. He will battle in the corners, his compete level is high already. He can get you the puck and he can also finish. He can be successful on any line and with different linemates. Guentzel needs to play with top guys to succeed.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Asides from stats Guentzel is not a good comparison to Anderson at all. Totally different types of players.

Guentzel is a pure goal scorer who needs playmakers around him and players who do the dirty work for him. Joey Anderson is that player. Not necessarily a playmaker, but a guy who does it all. He will battle in the corners, his compete level is high already. He can get you the puck and he can also finish. He can be successful on any line and with different linemates. Guentzel needs to play with top guys to succeed.

I never said that they were comparable players. I said I was hoping he'd breakout ala Guentzel.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Who cares, at this point he can be groomed into the 3rd line tough minute center that he probably should be. Hischier and Boqvist are more suited for the top 6 center potentials. They are crafty playmakers with elite speed.
I would love to see him used in a shadow role at the WJC.

I understand he plays the full length of the ice, but I'm hopeful he turns out to be more then a 3rd line center. I'd like to think opposing teams at the WJC are focused on shutting him down moreso then him focusing on shutting down a Boqvist type guy.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I understand he plays the full length of the ice, but I'm hopeful he turns out to be more then a 3rd line center. I'd like to think opposing teams at the WJC are focused on shutting him down moreso then him focusing on shutting down a Boqvist type guy.
Its not what they are now, it is what they will be developed into. If Boqvist adds strength and improves the shot, he has better offensive tools to put up points than McLeod 5 on 5 and on the PP.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Its not what they are now, it is what they will be developed into. If Boqvist adds strength and improves the shot, he has better offensive tools to put up points than McLeod 5 on 5 and on the PP.

That's kind of it, we don't know what they will develop into, thus I'd very much like to groom McLeod's offensive abilities.

As far as pure tools? McLeod has size, speed and overall skating(though the latter 2 points I thought were much less prominent at the showcase then I expected) and if he, like Boqvist, works on that shot then why not McLeod as a top 6 guy?

I was leaning heavy towards McLeod in the NHL this upcoming season, but that feeling was tempered watching him play over the weekend. Is that too much to read from a couple games? Maybe, but he struck me as a player that needs more development.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Not sure if I've mentioned it on here before, but I definitely see Joey Anderson as a potential top-line RW in the future at the NHL level...not necessarily out of pure skill, but rather his ability to complement any line and do what is needed.

We've seen examples of this at the USNDP level, NCAA level, and the WJC/WJSS level.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm very interested in Anderson's upcoming season. Duluth is losing their leading scorer and Anderson will probably be looked upon to step it up a level.

Hoping for a big season....a big season will probably be his last.

oxman44

Dec 1, 2015
Hunterdon

I only saw the last 2 games but I thought this is basically what happened with mcleod here. I thought he was fine, his skating and size were definitley evident. He is fast as hell and is almost always the first one to the puck carrier. his OT goal was sweet. His line saw the best defensive pairs and I saw mikey take a good bit of double teams. Nether raddyish or dube had much luck either and they didnt have the puck alot. Mike had to do a lot of of hunting it down. The D did a good job keep everything low danger and to the outside. It happens, ya not a great or exciting showing but I didnt feel he was bad at all aside from an errant pass or 3.

I was surprised at how Boqvist played the top line center role, and thought he was very solid both ways allthough he didnt have an overly exciting couple of games either. Also he wasnt really overpowered in the hard areas given his slight frame like I expected

I really liked what I saw from Bratt and Talvitie. Funny consdering they were both 6th rounders and the lowest of our prospects there. I actually came away from the showcase now thinking they both have a legit shot at developing in to NHLers

Ive seen Anderson a few times and he was exactly what I expected, real solid 2 way prospect that can Pot some goals

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
What teams have a better group of forward prospects than us? I'm sure there is some better than us but I'm curious where we might rank on our forwards alone.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
What teams have a better group of forward prospects than us? I'm sure there is some better than us but I'm curious where we might rank on our forwards alone.

That's where the prospects designation starts to look a little silly.

Toronto has some great young fwd's, but their best ones have (just barely) crossed that 70 game mark, so we don't compare ourselves to them.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I would say us Ari or Tam.

Tampa doesn't jump out at me. What forward prospects are you thinking of that are close to ours?

That's where the prospects designation starts to look a little silly.

Toronto has some great young fwd's, but their best ones have (just barely) crossed that 70 game mark, so we don't compare ourselves to them.

At some point, even young players need to graduate and be considered NHL players instead of prospects. The leafs may have one of the best young forward groups thanks to 2 heavy hitters at the top but I don't think they have one of the best forward prospect pools.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
A separate question... is Joey Anderson getting vastly overhyped here?

I honestly have no idea but I'm seeing him compared to Parise now and I am very hesitant to give anyone that burden when I don't know much on them. Just seems to have escalated very quickly.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The thing about players is like Parise and Guentzel and whomever else you want to compare him to - a lot of their growth as players occurred outside of the NCAA. Parise's college numbers (and especially his AHL numbers and first season in the NHL numbers) don't really suggest the player he became.

So yeah, the hype train certainly needs to slow down, but Anderson looks like he'll be contributing to the Devils sooner rather than later (or never).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad