Prospect Info: CHL, NCAA & European Prospects Thread | Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Going to start the annual prospects voting on Tuesday. Figured I would wait a bit to let the newness of the 2016 prospects to settle in and wait till after the holiday.

Right now, I was going to start with these players to start the voting:

Pavel Zacha
Mike McLeod
MacKenzie Blackwood
Steven Santini
Joseph Blandisi
Reid Boucher
Scott Wedgewood
John Quenneville
Miles Wood

Personally, I feel like that is easily the consensus top nine right now with guys like Bastian, Speers, Jacobs, Coleman, Mozik, and Pietila just missing that group.

Now the next question is whether or not Boucher should be involved in the voting. I'm leaning towards including him as he has only played 73 NHL games so far. It might create some interesting competition for the 2-5 spots as well. Severson was left off last years poll, but I think circumstances are a bit different.

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Can Boucher be considered a prospect?

Too many NHL games played I think?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Going to start the annual prospects voting on Tuesday. Figured I would wait a bit to let the newness of the 2016 prospects to settle in and wait till after the holiday.

Right now, I was going to start with these players to start the voting:

Pavel Zacha
Mike McLeod
MacKenzie Blackwood
Steven Santini
Joseph Blandisi
Reid Boucher
Scott Wedgewood
John Quenneville
Miles Wood

Personally, I feel like that is easily the consensus top nine right now with guys like Bastian, Speers, Jacobs, Coleman, Mozik, and Pietila just missing that group.

Now the next question is whether or not Boucher should be involved in the voting. I'm leaning towards including him as he has only played 73 NHL games so far. It might create some interesting competition for the 2-5 spots as well. Severson was left off last years poll, but I think circumstances are a bit different.

I wouldn't include Boosh based on his waiver status and amount of games.

I'm not sure if I'd include Wedge either.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
My top 10
Zacha
Santini
Quenneville
Blandisi
McLeod
Wood
Bastian
Anderson
Speers
Coleman

And of course no goalies because they are worthless dime a dozen enigmatic Looney tunes...***except for Martin Brodeur who is a god. Of course.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Can Boucher be considered a prospect?

Too many NHL games played I think?

I'm not sure. But at the same time I would argue at this point he is still a prospect and not an NHL player just yet.

My top 10
Zacha
Santini
Quenneville
Blandisi
McLeod
Wood
Bastian
Anderson
Speers
Coleman

And of course no goalies because they are worthless dime a dozen enigmatic Looney tunes...***except for Martin Brodeur who is a god. Of course.

I think I'd put Gignac over Coleman or Anderson.

After the nine I posted, it becomes purely personal preference, in my opinion. The voting for the next player will hopefully handle that.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think I'd put Gignac over Coleman or Anderson.

My two favorite picks from this draft are Bastian and Anderson.

And I'm very intrigued by Maltsev.

It's hard to keep tabs on KHL guys and I'm never really sure what their production really means(especially young guys) or how it translates but I'm going to follow Maltsev this year as much as I can.

I have a gut feeling he is one of our better prospects from this draft.

Guttersnipe

LappinMakesItHappen
Jan 31, 2003
Brooklyn
Visit site
If a prospect is a skater (forward, defenseman) and has played in 65 NHL games or more before the completion of the season of his 24th birthday; or, if a goaltender has played in 45 NHL games before the completion of the season of his 24th birthday, that player will be considered graduated to the NHL. Conversely, if a player completes the season of his 24th birthday without passing those milestones, then that player will no longer be considered a prospect by Hockey’s Future, regardless of the player’s status with his NHL club.

An NCAA player who signs his first contract at or above the age of 22 has three years to meet the above criteria (65/45), while those NCAA players that turn pro under the age of 22 will be subjected to the criteria above.

European players who sign their first NHL contract at or above the age of 22 have three seasons from the time they sign that contract to meet the above criteria. Those European players below the age of 22 that have signed a NHL contract will be subjected to the criteria in section one.

That's Hockey Future's definition of a prospect (link). Boucher has played 71 games so he's technically not a prospect according to this even though he's turning 23 in September. Wedgewood is 23 so he is a prospect.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
And I'm very intrigued by Maltsev.

It's hard to keep tabs on KHL guys and I'm never really sure what their production really means(especially young guys) or how it translates but I'm going to follow Maltsev this year as much as I can.

I have a gut feeling he is one of our better prospects from this draft.

Everything I have read about Maltsev sounds very promising. He had a back injury for all of the 2014-2015, and even into this season did not get much praise except at the U18s. It will be actually nice to finally have a promising Russian forward to follow

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Joey Anderson had an assist today for USA Blue in their game against Finland. Stole the puck away on the forecheck and passed it in the slot to DeBrincat.

Didn't get a chance to watch it so I don't know how he looked overall but the play is certainty encouraging.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
World Junior summer exhibitions are going on right now in Michigan. NHL Network is picking up the games for later this week:

NHL Network will televise the final six games from this week's USA Hockey National Junior Evaluation Camp at USA Hockey Arena in Plymouth, Michigan, it was announced today.

The exclusive U.S. television coverage will commence on Wednesday (Aug. 3) with two games, including Canada vs. Finland at 1 p.m. ET and USA vs. Sweden at 4 p.m. NHL Network will also carry games on Friday (Sweden vs. Canada at 1 p.m.; USA vs. Finland at 4 p.m.) and Saturday (Sweden vs. Finland at 4 p.m.; USA vs. Canada at 7 p.m.).

Of our prospects, McLeod/Cormier are on Canada but might not make the cut for the later games. Anderson is there for USA.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
joey Anderson was cut from the USA team.
Evan Cormier stopped all shots in his half of the game. His team won 7 - 4.
Michael McLeod didn't have any points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad