CHL Import Draft

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Steelheads have Babinstev and 1 spot open, hopefully they pick up a top 6 forward as next year the forwards will be very weak.

ImaBullsfan

Mar 4, 2012
Bulls should have Zharkov back next year, and will have 1 spot open. But not likely George will use their 1st round import pick.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Can't trade picks anymore it seems - new rule. Spits pick 11th, I don't know how they can expect a top player unless this years class is much deeper than last years.

Friendly Fan

Mar 27, 2009
Can't trade picks anymore it seems - new rule. Spits pick 11th, I don't know how they can expect a top player unless this years class is much deeper than last years.

The lesser teams that have high picks will draft high end imports that may not report and then team cant trade that pick. If the kid wants to report, the team may not be able to compensate accordingly. The new rule doesnt help the less alluring teams.

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
The lesser teams that have high picks will draft high end imports that may not report and then team cant trade that pick. If the kid wants to report, the team may not be able to compensate accordingly. The new rule doesnt help the less alluring teams.

I agree I don't like the new rule. A team like Kingston would have a fairly high pick that might get them some value in trade as they have 2 imports coming back and won't use the pick.How does this help them?

Friendly Fan

Mar 27, 2009
I agree I don't like the new rule. A team like Kingston would have a fairly high pick that might get them some value in trade as they have 2 imports coming back and won't use the pick.How does this help them?

If the Fronts or any team that have 2 returning Imports, draft a quality import, then they can trade one of their existing ones. Not really the ideal thing to do,but you must go with your best options.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009

The new rule was suggested, but I don't think it ever passed. There where import picks traded at the trade deadline.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
If the Spitfires are awarded the Memorial Cup, I wouldn't be surprised to see them deal up in the draft, grab a top five or six pick, and keep Pavelka.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
You're not allowed to deal up in the draft anymore.

Ill ask again, when was that voted in. I don't believe that there has been any formal changes as of now.

There have been alot of articles suggesting that changes where on the way, but I have not heard of anything being voted in

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
Ill ask again, when was that voted in. I don't believe that there has been any formal changes as of now.

There have been alot of articles suggesting that changes where on the way, but I have not heard of anything being voted in

Kitchener traded Plymouth's 1st to Sudbury this year and there were several Import picks traded in the Q as well. So it kind of looks like it was talked about and never approved.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
Richard and Pedan will be gone, meaning Guelph will be looking for two imports (draft or trade)

Draft seems more likely as they have Saginaw's as well as there own import picks. If they are serious about making a run next year, a goalie could be a likely target. As well a defenceman that can replace Pedan somewhat.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I was under the impression it passed, but when I went online this afternoon to search, there was nothing obvious (I had 5-min before class, so it wasn't exactly a thorough search) about a definitive rule change. It was all "proposed" articles from a couple of months back.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
I was under the impression it passed, but when I went online this afternoon to search, there was nothing obvious (I had 5-min before class, so it wasn't exactly a thorough search) about a definitive rule change. It was all "proposed" articles from a couple of months back.

Windsor Star's Parker is far from the end all authority but he seemed to be interviewing Boughner for the piece and touched on the import situation. This is from a article a week ago -

Retaining Pavelka next season would require the Spitfires to use one of those two import spots and one of the team’s three overage spots. As well, the Spitfires would have to pass on that second pick in the first round of the import draft, which could be in the top 20, since teams are no longer allowed to trade picks in the import draft.

“To me, it is what it is, but there’s a lot we have to look at,” Boughner said.

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2013/03/13/spitfires-weigh-future-roster-options/

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
In the proposed, possibly passed, rule on trading picks, can you pick a player and trade him soon after? Example, Cape Breton likely won't attract a high end Euro again this year so they likely wanna move down. Seems likely they could pick a player for a team like Quebec and move that euro player to them for young players, other euros, picks, or something.

defensehockey19

Feb 1, 2012
In the proposed, possibly passed, rule on trading picks, can you pick a player and trade him soon after? Example, Cape Breton likely won't attract a high end Euro again this year so they likely wanna move down. Seems likely they could pick a player for a team like Quebec and move that euro player to them for young players, other euros, picks, or something.

I would love to know this as well.

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/chl-im...-changes-fix-a-broken-system---194409144.html

"Under the new rules, teams will be prevented from trading import draft picks and there will be a year-long moratorium on the trading of imports once they have been selected. All 60 CHL clubs will still be allowed to carry a maximum of two imports. These changes are expected to be announced in the coming weeks. "

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad