Pre-Game Talk: Chicago Blackhawks @ New York Islanders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I'm unfamiliar with the visa process. Can you only get a visa if you have a specific job/position that requires it? Like, Caggiula has to get a visa with the purpose of being able to work for the Blackhawks? I'm assuming you can't just get approved for one and have a visa like you do a passport? If so, I'd imagine all players would just have one in the opposite country (US or Canada) that the currently are employed in in the event they are traded.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I'm unfamiliar with the visa process. Can you only get a visa if you have a specific job/position that requires it? Like, Caggiula has to get a visa with the purpose of being able to work for the Blackhawks? I'm assuming you can't just get approved for one and have a visa like you do a passport? If so, I'd imagine all players would just have one in the opposite country (US or Canada) that the currently are employed in in the event they are traded.

It is kind of like that. Personally for work I have a 10 year work visa in China but I am not sure if NHL players can do that.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
It is kind of like that. Personally for work I have a 10 year work visa in China but I am not sure if NHL players can do that.

If you're able to have anything like that then it really would surprise me that players wouldn't have that just to be prepared for it. Again, I don't know what goes into it, but, seems like it'd be pretty handy to have. Wonder if the US government shutdown affects the visa process at all.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
If you're able to have anything like that then it really would surprise me that players wouldn't have that just to be prepared for it. Again, I don't know what goes into it, but, seems like it'd be pretty handy to have. Wonder if the US government shutdown affects the visa process at all.

It may but I am not sure.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I never understood it either, these guys travel across North America to play games all the time, he has played in the US already this season...he went to North Dakota for school too...not sure why anything is needed different than what he has had previously. If his employer is a Canadian team vs a US team, maybe that is the issue, but how did he get to travel through the US and play games with the Oilers this year??

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I never understood it either, these guys travel across North America to play games all the time, he has played in the US already this season...he went to North Dakota for school too...not sure why anything is needed different than what he has had previously. If his employer is a Canadian team vs a US team, maybe that is the issue, but how did he get to travel through the US and play games with the Oilers this year??

Traveling and employment are two different things. He's a Canadian citizen so he needs a US work visa now because he is employed by a US employer and is not a US citizen.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Traveling and employment are two different things. He's a Canadian citizen so he needs a US work visa now because he is employed by a US employer and is not a US citizen.
but he plays the vast majority of his games in the US...you would think these guys would have these Visa's already established with how frequent trades and roster moves are.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Onto the Islanders ... Ole Trotz has them playing a solid system.
I can see the Hawks winning this one ..after the bad taste left in the mouth with the classic.
Time for Strome to have a multi goal game!

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
but he plays the vast majority of his games in the US...you would think these guys would have these Visa's already established with how frequent trades and roster moves are.

Doesn't matter, his employer is a Canadian-based company and he's a Canadian citizen. He can play games in the US without a visa, just need a passport to travel to and from.

Your second part leads to what my question originally was and I agree; if the process allows for it, it's surprising all players don't already have whatever visas they'd potentially need in the event this kind of thing occurs. I don't know if that's how visas work, but if possible, you'd think they'd be prepared accordingly.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
yes most likely it's the shutdown for non essential services. Drake being a Canadian doesn't guarantee him a work visa/permit to work in the US. A lot of players apply for dual citizenship to avoid this issue.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Doesn't matter, his employer is a Canadian-based company and he's a Canadian citizen. He can play games in the US without a visa, just need a passport to travel to and from.

Your second part leads to what my question originally was and I agree; if the process allows for it, it's surprising all players don't already have whatever visas they'd potentially need in the event this kind of thing occurs. I don't know if that's how visas work, but if possible, you'd think they'd be prepared accordingly.
yeah seems silly that in 2019 we have to still go through hoops like this, if you sign an ELC contract and above a VISA should be taken care of at that time as well...if allowed as you stated..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad