GDT: Chicago at Detroit, 7:30 p.m.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Gotta be mrazeks net from here on in. Whatever you do Holland don’t trade mtazek, he will be a franchise goalie no doubt in my mind. If blashill wants Howard to start fire him. Mrazek is 1 million times more important than blashill. Fix that relationship and either sign him or Qualify him for next year and go from there. You let him go and I honestly think it bites us so bad.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
If Howie's in net coming out of the All-Star break I'm going to write a strongly worded letter. There is no reason he should be given the nod with how he's played leading into it.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Gotta be mrazeks net from here on in. Whatever you do Holland don’t trade mtazek, he will be a franchise goalie no doubt in my mind. If blashill wants Howard to start fire him. Mrazek is 1 million times more important than blashill. Fix that relationship and either sign him or Qualify him for next year and go from there. You let him go and I honestly think it bites us so bad.
Yep. Gonna be amazing.

Fix the relationship. I can't even fault the guy, it must be frustrating being a good young player on the Red Wings, sitting in the AHL for years and then having to fight with a bunch of mediocre vets for roster spots and ice time. Not to mention the money you're missing out on.

What's the point of keeping Howard anyway? At most the guy is good for half a solid season these days. He gets injured, completely loses it, rinse and repeat.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
If Anders Lee can do it why can't Mantha? What is it that Lee does that Mantha doesn't?

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Yep. Gonna be amazing.

Fix the relationship. I can't even fault the guy, it must be frustrating being a good young player on the Red Wings, sitting in the AHL for years and then having to fight with a bunch of mediocre vets for roster spots and ice time. Not to mention the money you're missing out on.

What's the point of keeping Howard anyway? At most the guy is good for half a solid season these days. He gets injured, completely loses it, rinse and repeat.

Exactly my point Howard does nothing for us. Try and move him to the island retain some money if you have to get a better pick. Howard at like 3.5-4 is still really good value for the islanders

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Will cost 4+ million to qualify him. Unless he takes a paycut (willingly) the most money he will get is reaching free agency which is very likely.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Will cost 4+ million to qualify him. Unless he takes a paycut (willingly) the most money he will get is reaching free agency which is very likely.
Move Howard and I have no problem giving mrazek the 1 year 4 millish deal and reassessing after next season

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Move Howard and I have no problem giving mrazek the 1 year 4 millish deal and reassessing after next season

The cap hit is only a problem if we need the cap space for something else, which we probably shouldn't. Howard collapses and Mrazek steps up, I think the narrative that the Wings won't keep both will change from Khan, James, etc.

Something else to consider, though. Holland can extend the QO and Mrazek can always turn the offer down in favor of signing a different deal. If he doesn't believe he can get a deal he likes on the open market, it might be worth it to sign a two year/$4-6m deal with the Wings.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
The cap hit is only a problem if we need the cap space for something else, which we probably shouldn't. Howard collapses and Mrazek steps up, I think the narrative that the Wings won't keep both will change from Khan, James, etc.

Something else to consider, though. Holland can extend the QO and Mrazek can always turn the offer down in favor of signing a different deal. If he doesn't believe he can get a deal he likes on the open market, it might be worth it to sign a two year/$4-6m deal with the Wings.

From the sounds of everything and how he’s played he should accept the QO. Mrazek is a confident guy and I think he would bet on himself imo. But again say the wings give him the staters job from here on in he can always gain some value for himself and maybe more options open up for him. I just feel he’s too young and has way too much talent to just give up on him. Ideally Howard is dealt at deadline, Holland retires, and a new outside Gm comes in and realizes this

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Just got back from my first visit to LCA. I'm amazed how bad the Wings looked in the 1st period. It's different watching from above, the choice of dumps and attempted passes, with a full view of the rink. A TV screen can't do justice to the load of horrific passes tonight. Behind, too far ahead, bouncing off the boards... nothing would connect. I do think the the ice was a factor for both teams. Al Sobotka floods way too heavy before and between periods. 8-10 minutes might be enough to dry/freeze but it creates a thick layer of weak, slow ice.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
If you really think Mrazek will be that good, keeping him is the last thing we should do if we want more top 5-10 picks.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
If you really think Mrazek will be that good, keeping him is the last thing we should do if we want more top 5-10 picks.

So trade him for a 4th or lose him for free and watch him be a top notch goalie is better? Then we are sitting here searching for a franchise goalie. I’m not trading a 25 year old goalie because he’s too good that he’s holding us back from a top 5-10 pick especially when he really doesn’t have great value around the league at the moment

Reactions: Sentinel

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Why did we start howard

At this point mrazek should get a decent amount of starts. Mrazek hasn’t really had a bad game In 5 of his last 6 (the one being against Tampa

Howard hasn’t had a good start since the beginning of the month. 2 of his last 6 are good I believe

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
So trade him for a 4th or lose him for free and watch him be a top notch goalie is better? Then we are sitting here searching for a franchise goalie. I’m not trading a 25 year old goalie because he’s too good that he’s holding us back from a top 5-10 pick especially when he really doesn’t have great value around the league at the moment
Fair enough, generally I agree we should keep all players that make us better. But Mrazek has shown pretty much zero ability in his career to stay consistent above ~40 starts in a season. Franchise goalies play 60+. Think it’s possible he becomes a Halak, but not much more.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Fair enough, generally I agree we should keep all players that make us better. But Mrazek has shown pretty much zero ability in his career to stay consistent above ~40 starts in a season. Franchise goalies play 60+. Think it’s possible he becomes a Halak, but not much more.

Maybe you are right maybe he won’t be but I do know he has more talent then a lot of franchise goalies, and imo it’s bad asset management to lose a kid with that much talent for nothing or a 4th rounder or something.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
At this point what the hell is Holland waiting for? We really need to see what we have in GR with defensmen. Stop p***yfooting. Bring up Hicketts, McilRath, Hronek. See what else we have. Not this one game crap and send them down. I want puck movers and some offense. I don't even care if we win. We aren't already. So what difference will it make? What are we gonna lose? We ain't makin the playoffs. Make it exciting at least while we tank.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad