Injury Report: Chia: Sekera torn ACL - out 6-9 months

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
One big effect of this might be that it'll make Chia more likely to pay Vegas to take Pouliot instead of Reinhart. Being able to use Reinhart as an already in house fill in is probably a lot more appealing than having to overpay a UFA to come do that job.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Hopefully we can nab Michael Stone

Klefbom Larsson
Russell Benning
Nurse Stone

decent filler.

Stone's an interesting one. He's one of the few options I'd feel ok with having fill Sekera's shoes. He's a rightie and was a legit #3 dman. If he can bounce back from the injuries, he could be an absolute steal. The thing is, what do you pay him? Something like 5 years @4-4.5 is fair for what he was. 1 or 2 years @2-3 is fair for what he was this year. He'll want the former, we'd try for the latter.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Stone's an interesting one. He's one of the few options I'd feel ok with having fill Sekera's shoes. He's a rightie and was a legit #3 dman. If he can bounce back from the injuries, he could be an absolute steal. The thing is, what do you pay him? Something like 5 years @4-4.5 is fair for what he was. 1 or 2 years @2-3 is fair for what he was this year. He'll want the former, we'd try for the latter.

I think 4 years at 4m per gets it done, and I think he's worth about that. He and Sekera would form a great 2nd pairing, IMO. Plus he's been around for a while, so he can help hold the fort on the 2nd pairing being paired with Nurse or (probably, IMO) Reinhart until Sekera is healthy enough to return. You don't really want a 2nd pairing of Nurse or Reinhart and Benning, as that's quite an inexperience pairing, and I think they would get picked apart.

My first choice would be Green from Detroit, and extend him for 3 years at 4m per. But if that can't happen or doesn't happen, then I think Stone is a pretty realistic and acceptable 2nd option. I think both are certainly an upgrade over Russell, who probably still thinks he's worth 4 to 5m a season, or whatever, while bringing no offense. Good luck buddy.

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
I don't think this makes Russell that much sexier, if he's looking for anything close to the contract he was last year.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Not a fan of Stone. I think Benning will be better than him.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
The wording of the draft rules are goofy on injured players. Torn ACLs are definitely potentially career-ending so Sekera "may not be used to satisfy a club's player exposure requirements unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may deemed exempt from selection by the league."

Sounds like it's up to the league whether or not the Oilers have to protect Sekera.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The wording of the draft rules are goofy on injured players. Torn ACLs are definitely potentially career-ending so Sekera "may not be used to satisfy a club's player exposure requirements unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may deemed exempt from selection by the league."

Sounds like it's up to the league whether or not the Oilers have to protect Sekera.

Not anymore they aren't. Sekera's career is far from being threatened by this injury. There is no scenario here where the league would allow Sekera to be exempt from the draft.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I just have to give Thornton credit in this thread. He played in the playoffs with a torn MCL and ACL.

I still cant believe it.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I just have to give Thornton credit in this thread. He played in the playoffs with a torn MCL and ACL.

I still cant believe it.

I cannot believe it was torn, really. I have seen a friend of mine with a torn ACL and there is literally no way you could play hockey with that, even if you were under the most powerful painkillers out there...
I can't believe it even if the brief media I found googling says so.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
A torn ACL isn't career anding but at Sekera's age he won't be the same player next season after he returns. He probably won't get back to his level of play until the 2018/19 season.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
A torn ACL isn't career anding but at Sekera's age he won't be the same player next season after he returns. He probably won't get back to his level of play until the 2018/19 season.

If he gets there at all. Fingers crossed the graft went well. The next two weeks are key to Sekera's recovery.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
It's not Sekera was any good at skating anyway. This won't hinder him as much coming back as it would for someone like Burns or Karlsson - D who skate the puck out of trouble.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Rehab around 6 months. Torn MCL and ACL

First two weeks are key to recovery after ACL surgery. Good for Thornton his first two weeks of post-surgery recovery went well and he is on the road to a standard six months recovery from here.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
6 months is typically the upper limit for this type of injury. 9 months is probably what it takes a 85 year old with a torn ACL to recover from. See you game 10 Reggy

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

That's really the kicker. The injury is something that you can easily recover from nowadays. The problem is what kind of training is he going to be able to do to be in NHL shape? Hopefully we aren't desperate for him and we can just allow him time to get into game shape. The problem is if we are struggling or there are other injuries we might be forced to play a Sekera that is 70% game shape ready.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I cannot believe it was torn, really. I have seen a friend of mine with a torn ACL and there is literally no way you could play hockey with that, even if you were under the most powerful painkillers out there...

This. Maybe a sprain. But on a torn MCL and ACL. You kind of wonder what's holding his knee in place

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

One's ACL can pop clean and one may not know from a pain standpoint. It's the associated MCL/LCL, meniscal, and/or cartilage damage from the injury that causes most of the pain and discomfort. Usually it is these factors combined with the surrounding muscle strength that contributes to a player's ability to play through the injury.

When I tore my left ACL there was mild swelling and pain, it went undiagnosed by my general practitioner, and I was playing again in a few weeks. It took a few months of my knee buckling during sports and a trip to an orthopedic surgeon to get the proper diagnosis. When my right ACL popped I couldn't walk, was in lots of pain, and it required immediate surgery. The difference was the more severe damage done to my MCL and meniscus (i.e., the unhappy triad injury).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad