Injury Report: Chia: Sekera torn ACL - out 6-9 months

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
whats the protection list rules for expansion with players on the LTIR? Do we still need to protect Sekera?

This could work in our favor if we don't have to protect Sekera and trade our 1st for a PMD at the draft

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I think this mindset comes from previous seasons where we always had at least 300 MGL, and a lot of them were freak injuries to boot.

With a group of Klefbom-Larsson-Russell-Nurse-Benning, even average injury luck to that group could end the Oilers season.

It's as deep as kiddy pool. They need a second pairing guy on top of Russell to even pretend to be able to survive any injury to Klefbom or Larsson.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Eberle under-performing on career averages by about 10 points isn't quite the equivalent luck as, say, having all of McDavid, Draisaitl, Klefbom, Eberle, Lucic, RNH, Larsson, Sekera and Maroon playing 79-82 games.

It will never happen again.

I mean, half of you want to give Eberle way for nothing anyway.

We had just slightly better luck for injuries than league average. We werent this 100% healthy team. We still had injuries that cost us. I mean Nurse was in middle of a breakout year and had long term injury. Id say that is pretty significant

RNH and Eberle both had 10 points each lost due to unlucky seasons. So thats equivalent to losing Draisaitl for 25 games to injury and losing 20 points of his. Balances out

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
With a group of Klefbom-Larsson-Russell-Nurse-Benning, even average injury luck to that group could end the Oilers season.

It's as deep as kiddy pool. They need a second pairing guy on top of Russell to even pretend to be able to survive any injury to Klefbom or Larsson.

I don't think so. Look at Pittsburgh's d-corps right now, they still might win a Stanley Cup.

Teams with players like McDavid/Draisaitl can weather such losses.

The 1/2 scorer in the league is almost always in the playoffs, and comfortably at that.

That's the whole ****ing point of a McDavid, that's why winning that lottery was such a big deal. They can completely transform and carry a franchise.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I'm more concerned about how this injury will affect Sekera's ability for the remainder of his career. This is one of those injuries that have the potential to completely sideline an athlete's career. You hope it doesn't, but Sekera is a little bit older and this is a serious injury, so the risk is there.

I'll take him sitting out for 9 months if it means he comes back 100% thereafter.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We can manage without Sekera for 20 games. It's not the end of the world. As long as no.97 and no.33 are good to go, we have a chance of beating anyone, any night. Teams whether injuries like that all the freaking time too, lol, relax a bit.

Some of you are so shell shocked from the past decade that you can't look at anything logically.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If it's Nov-Dec it's not really that bad. If it's February and we are doing solid in the standings he'll be like picking up a deadline rental.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If it's Nov-Dec it's not really that bad. If it's February and we are doing solid in the standings he'll be like picking up a deadline rental.

9 months seems kinda extreme for an ACL tear to me, a lot of guys are back at month 6-7.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
That's such rough news, I nearly gagged when Chia said 6-9 months in the press conference.

Now that Chia said he expressed interest to bring Russell back and Russell publicly stated he wants to be back, I assume something will be worked out. He played well for us and I do like him, but he does leave you wanting more, he's passable as a 2nd pairing d-man, but feel we'll need an upgrade at some point on our 2nd pairing RD spot if we want to win a cup. Despite our need for him, you need to keep that salary down and hopefully have a manageable term as well, it seems like Russell has a good chance at becoming our albatross contract of the future.

John Connor McDavid

Apr 17, 2017
A few considerations here:

1) If the injury exempts him from auto-protection in the expansion draft thanks to his NMC, then it opens up a trade avenue for a 3rd defenseman to protect (Nurse+1st for upgrade like Hanifin, etc)

2) That $$ we save putting him on the LTIR for a year (which would honestly be my goal if we are hoping for full recovery for 2018-2019) can be spent on a 1-year rental whose price may have been previously unaffordable (Markov, Green)

3) Be it 2LD or 3LD - Russell will sign and have a role on this team next year (hoping it's with Benning on 3rd pair)

Klefa Larsson
Hanifin Green
Russell Benning

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
If we exposed him do you think Las Vegas would pick him up? He might be back for the new year...

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
This talk of the Oilers being lucky is a tad irritating. Yes, if three core players of ours had serious injuries we'd really struggle. Who wouldn't? Yes, if our starter suffered a serious injury we'll REALLY struggle. Who wouldn't?

You can say what you want about our schedule, but we showed up for the most part. We had the best record vs the Pacific, a strong record vs the Central, and lost a lot of winnable games against the East imo.

As far as our depth, yes we need a 3C. We could use a RW signing if Eberle is gone (we'll have Draisaitl, Slepyshev, Puljujarvi, and a possible free agent as top 6 RW options). On LW, Lucic isn't known to miss many games from what I gather, and he slots in at 2LW. Caggiula & Maroon can play on McDavids LW, and if one of them gets injured we have one of Khaira/Pouliot/Gambardella to step into 3L (Slepy can play the left side too).

For our defense, people like to **** on Nurse, but I think if Klefbomb gets injured Nurse looks fine along Larsson. If Larsson is injured, we're in trouble unless we pick up a Tanev/Hamonic/Manson, etc. Throw Fayne in the minors again, I wouldn't mind Gryba as 7D. Oesterle & Simpson are fine call-up options, and I think Reinhart could play 3LD today if he had to.

So yeah, we have fine depth outside of still requiring a 3C and 2RD. Not to mention, our youngsters are still developing. There are reasons to be optimistic.

To the bold: that's true, but I think what is concerning about injuries for the Oilers is that the team had very good luck staying healthy this year. Just as most teams would sink under the weight of mounting key injuries, most teams would excel with an exceptionally healthy roster.

There is nothing that can be done about injuries to multiple key players, but the Oilers need to do some work to make sure that one or two key injuries aren't death knells for their expectations of making the playoffs.

OILSLICK94

Mar 9, 2004
London Ontario
If we exposed him do you think Las Vegas would pick him up? He might be back for the new year...

NMC or NTC means he can not be exposed.

Besides why in the hell would the Oilers expose there 3rd best D, who is replacing him? this injury is a HUGE Blow.

Damn it

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
NMC or NTC means he can not be exposed.

Besides why in the hell would the Oilers expose there 3rd best D, who is replacing him? this injury is a HUGE Blow.

Damn it

This is what I don't understand in this thread either, Sekera is huge part of that blue line this is a massive blow. And people are talking about hoping he is exposed or LTIR for the whole year? If he's back by Christmas that means someone has to step into that number 3 slot next season which we don't have, especially if Russel walks.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
This sucks but 6-9 months seems like a clear safe estimation, he will probably be back end of November. So sucks, but he will still play the majority of next year. Sign Russel!

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Hopefully the Surgery and rehab go smoothly for him so he doesn't end up with any ill effects.

Definitely changes some things for the team. Makes me wonder if he gets an injury exception from the Draft, but I doubt it.

It's not like there's another defenseman you're going to protect, unless they might be thinking Reinhart.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The kinda crappy thing is I'm pretty sure Vegas is going to take Reinhart too.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
This sucks, next year is the year we have to go for it. I dont know what to think, Sekera's LTIR wont help with Mcdavids bonuses. I think at this point you have to move him if he's open to it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->