Confirmed Trade: [CHI/VGK] Marc-Andre Fleury to Chicago for Mikael Hakkarainen

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Wow, can I borrow your kerchief so I can cry a tear, too?

Fleury had the trade list - shit….SUBMITTED it - and knew based on previous talks with the Knights front office that becoming a Chicago Blackhawk was a real possibility.

The Vezina award is great - don’t get me wrong - but if a guy is up there in years and makes the mental errors Fleury did at the point at which they occurred, a team will look at his years and his salary, assess positional strength within the organization, and unless the team is nowhere near a Cup and therefore open to keeping a guy so he can retire there - finally make the move beneficial to the team based upon contract clauses and previous conversations with other GMs and that player.

Fleury wanted a deal which left open the possibility of a trade to the Hawks. The Golden Knights want a Cup, and brain farts between the pipes aren’t compatible to those goals.

I would have preferred he didn’t get the memo from Twitter, but so did 95% of the Seattle Kraken inaugural roster.

Lehner is 6 years younger, won 2 Jennings awards and across career, has a BETTER save average.

The Golden Knights want a Cup. Fleury’s not looking as compatible with it as Lehner. If there were a Colorado for him to be Bourque’d to, it would be nice, but Tampa’s got their guy and the world keeps turning.

Nothing you've posted here disputes the post you quoted. In fact, some of it confirms it.

NotPetya

May 28, 2021
Nothing you've posted here disputes the post you quoted. In fact, some of it confirms it.

Did he not sign a contract that did not have the NMC at the time he was traded? That part holds. Any latent griping about moving him after the fact really doesn’t.

He knew DeBoer was halfway towards using Lehner anyway. It should have been better motivation. Countless players have played themselves off of teams for gaffs. Fleury isn’t the first, and he won’t be the last.

I wish him luck in Chicago, but the world keeps turning and the Knights got younger in net and a little cap relief.

If it skins you that harshly, see if a billboard to the (assumed from avatar) Pens/Hextall works where the one from an NYR podcast to the Pegulas in Buffalo has not, and try bringing him back if making him happy is more a priority for you than icing a team in which a goalie doesn’t get distracted by an actual magic waffle floating 40 feet over the ice at the least opportune time for total contractual security. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
VGK needed a scapegoat and Fleury was it.

Chicago can profit by getting a Vezina winner for nothing.

an aside, Haula and Fleury were very angry to be traded from VGK. Any other names?

NotPetya

May 28, 2021

an aside, Haula and Fleury were very angry to be traded from VGK. Any other names?

Honestly?

Nate Schmidt comes to mind. Not sure of others.

And while I get your point about scapegoats, a primary point of vulnerability that makes such visible errors at a pivotal moment does tend to make itself available for such a tag. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

It seems in general, the team always looks for the next shiny toy. Upgrading is nice, but it comes at the expense of that wealth of positivity and camaraderie that Vegas had built and earned. They're still a great team, but this GM style will make players act more defensively in terms of contract in terms of NTCs and term

NotPetya

May 28, 2021
It seems in general, the team always looks for the next shiny toy. Upgrading is nice, but it comes at the expense of that wealth of positivity and camaraderie that Vegas had built and earned. They're still a great team, but this GM style will make players act more defensively in terms of contract in terms of NTCs and term

You have a very good point.

I’m not totally supportive of or against the rapidity with which they seem to deal players.

On one hand, they go after assets and give up guys like Haula and Schmidt surprisingly fast after acquisition. On the other, there’s Fleury…..six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Vezina winner, Cup winner.…but the value of goalies across the league - and the knowledge that to no small number watching, that Lehner versus MTL passed an eye test which Fleury didn’t down the stretch could have played in.

I’m mixed - if the core they have now (Stone, Tuch, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Theodore, Marchessault, Pacioretty) can win with Lehner, it’ll be proven sound. That potential can be bolstered more with a little cap space, which they got. Lehner’s got the better career save average having spent time on worse-performing teams. (OTT/BUF/ascendant NYI + a small VGK sample size versus PIT/VGK….there is a difference.)

Last edited:
Reactions: mattihp

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
My myopic Hawks fandom sees only that the Hawks got better at goalie with Fleury/Lankinen than Lankinen/Subban/Delia - that is, IMO, irrefutable. It is less important to the Hawks if Fleury has gaffes at critical times than it would be for legitimate Cup contending teams because the Hawks are not that. The point is Fleury will provide the young players with a better winning environment to grow into their NHL games this coming season than the goalie tandem from last season would have. With it being a one-year deal it doesn't affect the future so it was a no brainer to acquire him for essentially nothing while not requiring any future effect Salary Cap moves.

Vegas getting cap relief means nothing to the Hawks because the Hawks won't be competing with them for Western Conference supremacy in 2021/22 anyway.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Fleury will turn 37 during the season and is coming off his best year behind one of the league's best defenses. He will now play behind a team that has absolutely bled chances against under Colliton.

I think the likelihood that Fleury comes crashing back down are much higher than him maintaining his Vegas form.

Reactions: MinJaBen

NotPetya

May 28, 2021
That’s a good look.

Fleury can catch lightning in a bottle for ya. From what I can gain from a logical Pens fan buddy, the more he is challenged, the better he’ll execute - usually.

My myopic Hawks fandom sees only that the Hawks got better at goalie with Fleury/Lankinen than Lankinen/Subban/Delia - that is, IMO, irrefutable. It is less important to the Hawks if Fleury has gaffes at critical times than it would be for legitimate Cup contending teams because the Hawks are not that. The point is Fleury will provide the young players with a better winning environment to grow into their NHL games this coming season than the goalie tandem from last season would have. With it being a one-year deal it doesn't affect the future so it was a no brainer to acquire him for essentially nothing while not requiring any future effect Salary Cap moves.

Vegas getting cap relief means nothing to the Hawks because the Hawks won't be competing with them for Western Conference supremacy in 2021/22 anyway.

NotPetya

May 28, 2021
Fleury will turn 37 during the season and is coming off his best year behind one of the league's best defenses. He will now play behind a team that has absolutely bled chances against under Colliton.

I think the likelihood that Fleury comes crashing back down are much higher than him maintaining his Vegas form.

I’m at the same opinion with Vegas moving forward. Once fed a steady portion of starter activity, that near-.500 record shouldn’t keep inflating evenly. Looking forward to seeing what he does with the increased workload.

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015

May be true but half of last years top six D is gone so we will have to wait to see what this years version looks like. I believe it to be better. They need the team defense to be better as well, should help getting to of the best defensive forwards on the team back (Toews and Dach)

NotPetya

May 28, 2021
NHL should had void this trade.... Ridiculous.

32 team league; subtract Vegas and Seattle, you get 30.

Let’s go with half - name 15 teams that haven’t participated in a skewed-value trade with contract burial being the primary objective.

The NHL is not going to void a valid trade when CHI & VGK valued a unlikely-to-report draft pick + cap space and a goalie nearing the end of his career equally.

Last edited:

Jul 6, 2016
To be fair it was a win-win. Vegas got rid of the contract and the Hawks got the goalie they needed.

Whats wrong with that kind of trade?

That trade is lopsided. It's not a "hockey" trade at all. Like trading players (with bad contracts) on LTIR is not a hockey trade and should be stopped.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
That trade is lopsided. It's not a "hockey" trade at all. Like trading players (with bad contracts) on LTIR is not a hockey trade and should be stopped.

No it wasn’t lopsided. Everyone got what they wanted. It was probably one of the fairest value for value trades we’ve ever seen.

Vegas wanted the contract gone
Hawks desperately needed a Goalie and could eat the contract
The player who the Hawks sent wanted out and got their wish.

NOTHING here was lopsided. EVERYONE got the value they were searching for.

And to add to that, Fleury will probably be their Starter this season, which I know is very important to him, especially the closer he gets to retirement.

HOW is any of this bad?

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
No it wasn’t lopsided. Everyone got what they wanted. It was probably one of the fairest value for value trades we’ve ever seen.

Vegas wanted the contract gone
Hawks desperately needed a Goalie and could eat the contract
The player who the Hawks sent wanted out and got their wish.

NOTHING here was lopsided. EVERYONE got the value they were searching for.

And to add to that, Fleury will probably be their Starter this season, which I know is very important to him, especially the closer he gets to retirement.

HOW is any of this bad?
People still underestimate how much of an asset cap space is, especially now.

NotPetya

May 28, 2021
At the end of the day, a trade was made that simultaneously bolstered CHI in net and afforded VGK cap space.

They assessed equivalent value. ‘Nuff said.

Are the Blue Jackets in the crosshairs for giving Vegas Karlsson as compensation for getting from underneath Clarkson’s contract?

Reactions: GoldenSeal

NotPetya

May 28, 2021
As an aside, this is NOT the season to point any fingers at Vegas for cap circumvention that don’t cut lines through Tampa first.

If we’re looking down at molehills, you gotta point out a few mountains first for logic’s sake. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
Haven't been this excited for the Blackhawks season to start in years.
Haha. Hopefully Flower does well in his Coda.

Gotta say, that may obviously be true for you because years have passed since they won, but it seems to reek of a fandom spoiled. I was there once. 38 years later I’m feeling antsy.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Thought it'd be worth bumping this thread given the Eichel trade that we all woke up to.

If Vegas doesn't cap dump Fleury then the Eichel trade doesn't happen. Still think they could've / should've gotten more for Flower but a healthy Eichel is not a bad return (eventually)

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Thought it'd be worth bumping this thread given the Eichel trade that we all woke up to.

If Vegas doesn't cap dump Fleury then the Eichel trade doesn't happen. Still think they could've / should've gotten more for Flower but a healthy Eichel is not a bad return (eventually)

They used the money saved on the Fleury deal to acquire Dadonov the day after no?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Walsh destroyed MAF's value. *Someone* interfered and leaked to Chicago that MAF was considering retirement as a way of preventing the trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad