Confirmed Trade: [CHI/VAN] Anthony Beauvillier for 2024 5th round pick

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Streaky player. Middle 6 producer when he is playing but otherwise is about as meh at both ends of the ice as one could imagine. Bedard might get some production out of him the same way pettersson did.

Kind of thought the Canucks would do a shade better than a 5th for him, but cap space is huge and they need it to sign Ethan Bear next week
Yeah it's more of Beauvillier for Bear+5th which is a much better deal if you read it that way.
Canucks also have a ton of forwards playing well in the AHL, so this provides some flexibility to bring them up.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Wow surprised Canucks didnt add a sweetener for a dime a dozen winger making 4+mil.

AB has speed and motor but lacks the hands which makes his production streaky.

Its funny because, I suspect a lot of Canuck fans want the Perry rumors to be true so that the relationship between Bedard and Blackhawks sour a bit so that Bedard can "go home" in the future, but it ended up that the Perry situation helped the Canucks anyways as AB is the Perry replacement.

As for cap space, the Canucks will spend it on the following:

1. Defence, defence, defence
2. A rugged, big, bottom 6 player that can play, much like a Sam Lafferty.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Lookin' forward to the clip of him singing 'My kind of town'. If there's any hockey player you want doing that, it's Tito.

Seriously, best of luck to him in Chi-town.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
this is a smart move by the Hawks, if he can put up some decent numbers they'll be able to trade him at the deadline for more than a 5th

Reactions: sting101 and JoeMc

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
He’s a good hockey player and well worth the 5th round pick. They can turn that into a 3rd or 4th at the deadline, or keep him with a new contract.

Vancouver now has Hronek, Raty, Mueller and a 5th for Horvat minus a higher 2nd rounder. It really has turned into a Hronek for Horvat trade. They’d be lucky to get the 43rd pick in a draft for Raty. At best, it would even out value wise.

It is a great move for the Canucks though. He fit in nicely when the trade happened but not so much this year. That cap space, gets them a Dman now. I’m gonna guess sooner than later now.
I trade Horvat for Hronek all day. Not because Horvat isn't any good, he is, but because it addressed a huge need for the Canucks which is paying off in spades.

(And for transparency sake, I was one of the people annoyed at moving the first for Hronek last year. I knew not of what I spoke).

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Has he really been that bad since his trade from the Islanders??

Recent game log . . . note the lack of goals

Sat 11/25@SJSJL
4-3
0000000.00000012:090:00
Fri 11/24@SEASEAW
5-1
0000000.00000015:070:00
Wed 11/22@COLCOLL
5-2
0110220.00000016:2716:27
Mon 11/20vsSJSJW
3-1
0112010.00000013:1113:11
Sat 11/18vsSEASEAL
4-3
0000020.00000013:000:00
Thu 11/16@CGYCGYL
5-2
0000000.00000014:220:00
Wed 11/15vsNYINYIW
4-3 OT
0000030.00000013:570:00
Sun 11/12@MTLMTLW
5-2
0000020.00000014:040:00
Sat 11/11@TORTORL
5-2
0110030.00100014:2514:25
Thu 11/9@OTTOTTW
5-2
0000010.00000014:200:00
Mon 11/6vsEDMEDMW
6-2
0001230.00000013:570:00
Sat 11/4vsDALDALW
2-0
0000010.00000010:240:00

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
What happened? He seemed rejuvenated after arriving in Vancouver.

Nah. He just went on a brief hot streak riding Pettersson's coattails for a while after the trade last year.

Outside of that, he's the epitome of a nothing "filler" Top-9 winger. He's got okay speed and can go on the odd heater where he's reasonably productive. He's got okay hockey sense for the most part to play with better players. But individually, he brings approximately nothing to the table. He's small, not particularly tenacious (at least not with any consistency), doesn't really have a great shot or terrific vision as a passer. Not terrible defensively but not great either. He mostly just takes up space.

Which isn't great when he also takes up a ton of cap space for what he brings. Just north of $4M for that kind of filler play is outrageous in today's cap landscape.

Streaky player. Middle 6 producer when he is playing but otherwise is about as meh at both ends of the ice as one could imagine. Bedard might get some production out of him the same way pettersson did.

Kind of thought the Canucks would do a shade better than a 5th for him, but cap space is huge and they need it to sign Ethan Bear next week

Yeah. A 5th is still pretty disappointing, because he is a solid enough Top-9 NHL winger. He's certainly capable of going on a hot streak with Bedard and the Hawks will be declared the "winners" of this trade. But the real win for Vancouver is just moving his entire salary out. Which gives them room to sign Bear who is needed more right now, and then some extra wiggle room to add a potential forward who fits better toward the deadline at some point. Someone with some more size and physical play or grit, or in a dream scenario...someone with the skill to play on that line with Pettersson and Kuzmenko while bringing a spadework mentality. So Mikheyev can be bumped down to permanently play with Miller-Boeser or something. Moving PDG down the lineup to more of a checking role.

So hopefully they can find something like that with the space opened up here.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Has he really been that bad since his trade from the Islanders??

Immediately afterwards, he was a good fit but was getting top-line icetime and deployment. He started to cool off and his production has cratered this season. His caphit, lack of production, didn't help on special teams, and no size meant he couldn't find a good fit in the forward group. Canucks have other options on the farm that make more sense given his deployment.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Beau fall that hard!?!

I always said he was a 'tweener that could put it together as a low-end 2nd liner; doesn't look like that's happening. He'll bring speed, forecheck, and when he's confident, some scoring. Looks like a perennial 3rd liner.

That's the thing, I dont even think he's a third liner. He isn't defensively capable enough for those minutes, and he disappears too often for top six. He can skate in fast on the forecheck, but doesn't win enough 50/50 battles, isn't great along the boards, and can't compensate with those with positioning. I imagine, on a bad team like Chicago, in the top six, he'll continue to get points, but not elevate his teammates, as well as not prevent as many goals as he's contributing to.

If the Canucks had waived him, sent him down to the A, or he was claimed for nothing, I would have been happy. I'll take a 15 pt bottom six guy who can defend well than Beauvilier.

Reactions: biturbo19

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
That's the thing, I dont even think he's a third liner. He isn't defensively capable enough for those minutes, and he disappears too often for top six. He can skate in fast on the forecheck, but doesn't win enough 50/50 battles, isn't great along the boards, and can't compensate with those with positioning. I imagine, on a bad team like Chicago, in the top six, he'll continue to get points, but not elevate his teammates, as well as not prevent as many goals as he's contributing to.

If the Canucks had waived him, sent him down to the A, or he was claimed for nothing, I would have been happy. I'll take a 15 pt bottom six guy who can defend well than Beauvilier.

I think that's probably a bit of hyperbole. A little extra in overcorrecting. But i agree with the general sentiment. Especially when accounting for the Cap Hit for what he offered.

Beauvillier isn't a real "3rd liner". He's a classic "Top-9 Filler". One of those guys who can be useful but you always wish you had somebody better in whatever role he's in. Whether that's a Top-6 scoring slot where he's just not consistent enough with his scoring ability. Or in the Bottom-6 where he's just not going to produce much offensively there because he doesn't drive play on his own, and he's not physical or impactful in that role either. He's also not really a core special teams player on either end of things. So he's just sorta...there.

Canucks brought in Pius Suter who is a better, more versatile version of what Beauvillier offers. But they did that for less than half the price. When he's healthy and in the lineup, Beauvillier really just doesn't bring anything to the table that's worthwhile. I think even Suter probably ends up pushed to the Wing if Bluegers and Lafferty are both healthy too, which even further crowds Beauvillier out of the lineup. And you just can't be spending north of $4M on a guy who is getting pushed out of the lineup by $1-2M pieces who are better and hungrier.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I remember the day when some around here talked about him being almost untouchable from the Islanders and now traded again for a late pick...I guess Hawks needed a player to replace Perry.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
I remember the day when some around here talked about him being almost untouchable from the Islanders and now traded again for a late pick...I guess Hawks needed a player to replace Perry.
Alvin suggested he had essentially acquired 3 1st round picks for Horvat. The actual 1st, Raty (a 2nd on an upward trajectory) and Beauvillier.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I trade Horvat for Hronek all day. Not because Horvat isn't any good, he is, but because it addressed a huge need for the Canucks which is paying off in spades.

(And for transparency sake, I was one of the people annoyed at moving the first for Hronek last year. I knew not of what I spoke).
I’m just glad to finally see Tocchet split Hronek and Hughes up. They need to see if Hronek can be the player they paid such a big price for.

So far so good. He was ok last night carrying the pairing. He didn’t get himself in the trouble he’s famous for, and did what he does well. So that’s a big plus. It’s obviously early but if Cole can support him well, it should give the Canucks two pairings to trust, and Myers was fine with Quinn.

I’ve had a suspicion that Tocchet didn’t want to send him to the wolves right away. To let him play with Hughes and get accustomed to what they want from him. Which is not carrying the puck as much as he likes to. That’s how he ends up on the receiving end of those massive hits he takes. Just move the puck quickly and let his offensive instincts kick in when appropriate. He’s never gonna be great from the circles down, and that’s why he needs a solid defensive partner. Hell, I think a Zadorov/Hronek pairing could be great.

Now they have some money to play with, if that’s the move they wanna make.

Reactions: ziploc

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
How's this a win-win trade? Capspace vs replacement for Perry?

Canucks dump 4+mil in cap, Hawks get a warm body for a 5th which they desperately need because of Perry and also Hall is out for the rest of the season. They can also retain 50% at the deadline and probably get a better pick after Beau plays next to Bedard all season.

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
A 5th is appropriate given his cap space. Had he had a lower cap hit he could get up to a 3rd on something close to league minimum on a good day but he has a high cap hit so a 5th is actually kind of a steal for Vancouver.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
His work ethic must have fallen off once he made his millions. Because early on he seemed like one of those hardworking buzzsaws who might not be naturally gifted offensively, but could play on a scoring line because he's skilled *enough* to go along with a non-stop motor.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
His work ethic must have fallen off once he made his millions. Because early on he seemed like one of those hardworking buzzsaws who might not be naturally gifted offensively, but could play on a scoring line because he's skilled *enough* to go along with a non-stop motor.
I don't think it was really a case of lack of work ethic - he was always skating hard. I think he's just a streaky player by nature which some Isles fans said beforehand. Honestly, I would not be surprised to see him get a Jason Dickinson-esque hat trick one game and then go on a PPG heater for 8-10 games. He's a serviceable player, but cap space right now is in demand for the Canucks to address other areas. At least we didn't pay a 2nd to move on from this one. :D

Feb 19, 2018
How's this a win-win trade? Capspace vs replacement for Perry?
Is this a serious question? No retention for a $4.15 million dollar bottom 6 player on the roster (for the Canucks) who plays a non premium position is a win for a team up against the Cap. Chicago got a body to replace Perry or Hall on the roster and could potentially go for a better asset at the deadline.

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
He's a fine enough player, but he doesn't play a role worth his $4.15M aav.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
As a Canuck fan, I personally found him to be one of the more likeable negative assets I've encountered. What he brings isn't really worth 4 million, unless one of his hot streaks are prolongued, but even when he's playing "poorly", I still generally like his well-roundedness in a master of none kind of way.

He doesn't look dumb/incompetent in the top six, and he doesn't look lazy/irresponsible in the bottom six. Always just gives you the baseline usefulness in every area, even if he has production dry spells and rarely stands out.

Mar 12, 2009
What happened to him? I remember him being borderline untouchable by Isles fans for a while, had good results early and a couple real good playoff runs. Seems weird to go for so low at 26.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad