Value of: CHI - Saad for a similar aged defenseman

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I don't think so. We'd only add 2 mil in the Saad/Maatta swap and our only RFA of consequence is Pettersson.

Then you'd be wrong. This is just plain simple math.

We have 79m committed to 16 skaters. We need to sign the following:
3-4 forwards (11, 12, 13, 14). At the league minimum (and some will get more) that's 2-2.65m
2 blueliners (6, 7). At the league minimum (and MP will get 2-3 times that), that's 1.3m.
Total that's 3.3-3.95m
- and that's without anyone getting any raises. Realistically we need ~6m to sign our RFAs and fill out the roster. And that's even before we get into saving some cap space for flexibility during the season.

Which means if you add 2m to the cap for a Maatta-Saad swap, you've added 2m and thus would only have around 1-3m to fill out the roster. Clearly that's not going to work - again this is just plain simple math. There's a reason why we've been saying since Nov when we acquired Pearson that we'd have to shed at least 2-3m in salary.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Has Leddy not been good? Chicago needs a second pairing LHD. If Leddy can fill that role effectively, I'd part with Saad in a heartbeat.

Leddy as a second pairing should be issue free. Leddy as a first pairing and PP1 time....bound to be frustrated. Leddy and JHS seems quite fair imo and potential to be a loss for the Isles if JHS gets his act together. I'm confident Leddy will get his groove back for you. JHS is the big IF.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Leddy as a second pairing should be issue free. Leddy as a first pairing and PP1 time....bound to be frustrated. Leddy and JHS seems quite fair imo and potential to be a loss for the Isles if JHS gets his act together. I'm confident Leddy will get his groove back for you. JHS is the big IF.

Since you know I am a big JHS fan and have argued against trading JHS,
I am only interested in this deal if Lou strikes out on the ufa market.

This has the potential to bite the isles on the a**

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I don't really expect anything out of JHS. I'd even do the trade as a 1-for-1 without him.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
to be honest i think salary wont be that big a deal by September i expect most of quick carter toffoli and maybe martinez gone The kids will be cheap
true but the year after maybe LA will be in a position to go after a UFA like Vatanen, Schenn, or Galcheynuk

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
true but the year after maybe LA will be in a position to go after a UFA like Vatanen, Schenn, or Galcheynuk
i honestly think we will be fine forward wise dolan kuperi thomas gunderson our 1st draft pick this year and leafs first pick Add this to kempe wagner luff maybe brodzinski i think our forwards are rather full Its a experienced defense till clague anderson etc make it would be more of a need to me.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
i honestly think we will be fine forward wise dolan kuperi thomas gunderson our 1st draft pick this year and leafs first pick Add this to kempe wagner luff maybe brodzinski i think our forwards are rather full Its a experienced defense till clague anderson etc make it would be more of a need to me.

I like the looks of what LA's forward group could be as well. That's why I tossed Vatanen on there.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I have higher hopes then most on Clague Id love to see him get shot with drew We need more offense out of the left side of our top pair. If we can get it from within the better off we are.

Ya I am losing the faith in Clague. Even if he can play top pair we will still need at least one more top four though

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I could actually see some deal around Saad and Faulk but IMO the canes would need to take one of Keith or Anisimov as part of that transaction.

Saad & Keith or Anisimov
for
Faulk & some forward...

We’re not taking back either of those contract. Especially not Keith who we have no need for whatsoever.

Carolina has never been a team that spends a lot. In your proposal we aren’t even getting anything of value for taking either of them. Saad for Faulk is close in value so then we’re taking on a bad contract and also giving you “some forward”?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Saad for Skjei?

why would want to that Musto?

IMO Gus is better than Skjei... and we have our own young D next year joining fulltime in Joker and likely Mitchell.

Unless the return for 6 million dollar Saad is tremendous we are better off keeping him. IMO he should be the glue of the 3rd line moving forward.

I thought Skjei was good? Has he declined recently? I honestly haven't kept up.

IMO he is Leddy "light", shows some promise on the offensive side, especially PP but he is dreadful on the D side of things.

Gus is better than either Skjei or leddy IMO

Rangers easily pass

Skjei is good. No ? has outstanding skating including fluid backwards nec for defense. Inconsistent, looking like McD sometimes and others, not so much. However, has been w/uneven partners. For example, DeAngelo has finally arrived, but it's been a couple of years' process. With experience he has earned a good deal with term and no reason to not anticipate continued gradual improvement to peak form.

Due to emergence of LD prospects , he is available.
Neither discounted nor commanding a premium, we want to repurpose for younger prospects/picks esp RDs, most area of need.

Hawks would have to top anticipated offer from Canadiens of something like 1st and damaged goods Juulsen as is.

Saad is not a fit, not the return for Skjei.

While 3 yrs at 6 is not insurmountable, not seeing what you'd offer for Namest, only 4m expiring, who is not a D.

Reciprocally, not seeing what you'd want for comparable $/term Staal who our board says is easy to buy out next year. Staal is kind of guy who can retire and get another gig in the organization, so not looking to go here with him. Similar with Shattenkirk. If Staal is moved, it will be at half for an expiring Marleau at full pop to give Leafs some instant cap space.

I would do the recently back from the dead Brendan Smith at 4.35 per same term to give you 1.65 instant savings.

I would consider
Skjei + Smith + smaller add
for
Saad + Anisimov + larger add [this component reduces the cap term, but surrenders 24 yr old Skjei for 30 year old Anisimov]

not seeing much else atm.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
I would consider
Skjei + Smith + smaller add
for
Saad + Anisimov + larger add [this component reduces the cap term, but surrenders 24 yr old Skjei for 30 year old Anisimov]

not seeing much else atm.

The gap between Saad and Skjei is a lot smaller than the gap between Smith and Arty.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The gap between Saad and Skjei is a lot smaller than the gap between Smith and Arty.

Maybe.
But Saad is a scorer who burst on the scene, got dealt/went south outside Chicago, was reacquired, and is doing okay, but not gangbusters.
Scoring is basically all he does.
NY would be taking risk at 6m per x 3 he has productive chemistry w/linemates in NY.

NY should not accept that risk unless there is a strategic value, such as improved roster flexibility.

If NY wants to sink some $ in a scorer, I'd rather apply Saad's 6m to Panarin's possible deal. If we lose Panarin to FL, Panthers' Hoffman may be an option.

As for Skjei, unless there is, like is said in chess 'counterplay', something like Skjei for Canadiens' 2019 1st + damaged Juulsen as is with some cap relief resulting to NY is better for Rangers.

Reactions: CREW99AW

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Saad doesnt need to get very hot to hit 30 goals this year. On pace for 27 and if he keeps playing the way he has lately its within reach. He's smoked goalies and hit an absurd amount of posts and crossbars lately.

The fact that we are talking he's got a shot at hitting 30 goals again after the year he had last year only proves it was an overall down year and a bad need for a coaching change, at least for Saad.

I dont know how many people would say Saad at 26 years old hitting between 28-30 goals at $6 mil is overpaid

but everyone wants to hold on to the career low season of Saad last year and sell low on him

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Saad doesnt need to get very hot to hit 30 goals this year. On pace for 27 and if he keeps playing the way he has lately its within reach. He's smoked goalies and hit an absurd amount of posts and crossbars lately.

The fact that we are talking he's got a shot at hitting 30 goals again after the year he had last year only proves it was an overall down year and a bad need for a coaching change, at least for Saad.

I dont know how many people would say Saad at 26 years old hitting between 28-30 goals at $6 mil is overpaid

but everyone wants to hold on to the career low season of Saad last year and sell low on him

excellent pov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad