Value of: CHI - Saad for a similar aged defenseman

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I would like to keep Saad, but the Hurricanes 2019 1st and Faulk might be of interest. 1 year of Faulk isn’t getting a player like Saad.

Ask on Saad is 1st plus roster player or we’re better off keeping him.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I would like to keep Saad, but the Hurricanes 2019 1st and Faulk might be of interest. 1 year of Faulk isn’t getting a player like Saad.

Yeah, no. The difference between Saad and Faulk value, if there is one at all in Chicago’s favor, is not a first.

Terrible.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

Zero percent chance you'd get a top-4 dman + 1st for Saad, especially from a bubble team.
If that's the ask, he'll retire a bhawk.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Saad is having a very nice bounce back season. He’s been a beast on the ice and seems to be more motivated with collision. He has had shifts where he basically can’t be stopped

Unless the hawks get blown away by an offer they should hold on to him. He’s playing a lot like nino niederreiter in the sense he so much more dominant on the ice away from the score sheet if you don’t watch the games

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Has Leddy not been good? Chicago needs a second pairing LHD. If Leddy can fill that role effectively, I'd part with Saad in a heartbeat.
i will jump in and say that Saad should get more than Leddy.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Has Leddy not been good? Chicago needs a second pairing LHD. If Leddy can fill that role effectively, I'd part with Saad in a heartbeat.
He's been declining over the years and hasn't looked the same since first year he signed the contract. At most he's a 2nd pairing defenseman but with the emergence of Toews this year and his progress, Leddy is not needed. Hickey is signed for a few more seasons so essentially its a wasted spot.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I mean that's what we need in Chicago.

I'd certainly be interested.
Cap hit and term could be a factor. Then again Saad is almost identical with 1 less year of term. Would help both out but can Saad play a speed game or is he essentially a 3rd line forward?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Cap hit and term could be a factor. Then again Saad is almost identical with 1 less year of term. Would help both out but can Saad play a speed game or is he essentially a 3rd line forward?
Saad is fast yeah.

I think he's at his best when he drives his own line. That's why he's been most effective on the third line for us. Not so much when he's with Toews or Kane.

I'm not sure how he was deployed in Columbus, but could just be our system. I don't see why he can't be a top 6 regular.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Saad is fast yeah.

I think he's at his best when he drives his own line. That's why he's been most effective on the third line for us. Not so much when he's with Toews or Kane.

I'm not sure how he was deployed in Columbus, but could just be our system. I don't see why he can't be a top 6 regular.
The last thing the Isles could use is another third line player. Currently signed past this season they have Beauvillier (can technically play 2nd/3rd line wing), Komarov, Ladd, Clutterbuck, Martin, Cizikas and Johnston which are all bottom 6 players. If Filppula is resigned (which i'm guessing may happen), that's an 8th forward. Top 6 forwards They have Barzal, Bailey and Lee (if resigned). Saad might benefit on the 2nd line playing alongside Bailey or Lee (he would be able to drive to play to set Lee up infront). It would be a balanced trade but I doubt either GM would be willing to make the hockey trade.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Maatta plus 2019 1st for Saad.

Which means Pittsburgh would then need to shed somewhere between 4-5m in cap space just to fit in the RFAs and fill out the roster. I struggle to see that happening if Maatta is traded for someone making 6m.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Which means Pittsburgh would then need to shed somewhere between 4-5m in cap space just to fit in the RFAs and fill out the roster. I struggle to see that happening if Maatta is traded for someone making 6m.

I don't think so. We'd only add 2 mil in the Saad/Maatta swap and our only RFA of consequence is Pettersson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad