Confirmed Trade: [CHI/FLA] Vinnie Hinostroza for Brad Morrison

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Probably just cuts down on payroll. I remember seeing reports in the offseason they wanted them slashed.
They also traded a guy making 3.5M in salary (Matheson) for a guy making 5.3M in salary. That's not exactly slashing unless there was more salary in that deal going to Pittsburgh.

Reactions: Laus723

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
They also traded a guy making 3.5M in salary (Matheson) for a guy making 5.3M in salary. That's not exactly slashing unless there was more salary in that deal going to Pittsburgh.
The offseason report was specifically they wanted to slash the defensive payroll. Which I think was really just code for we want Matheson and probably Stralman too gone.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Maybe they viewed Hornqvist in higher regard. It’s not like Matheson was doing great in Florida and that’s a backloaded long contract. Like I said there were reports during the offseason, maybe they’re true maybe they’re not.
right because 7.5M of that cap space has nothing to do with Ekblad going on IR
Payroll and cap space aren’t the same thing. One is a AHL/ECHL with a salary of 60k and the other is still owed ~320k in salary.

Papa044

Aug 2, 2005
Miami, FL
Maybe they viewed Hornqvist in higher regard. It’s not like Matheson was doing great in Florida and that’s a backloaded long contract. Like I said there were reports during the offseason, maybe they’re true maybe they’re not.

Payroll and cap space aren’t the same thing. One is a AHL/ECHL with a salary of 60k and the other is still owed ~320k in salary.

Sure, but this move has nothing to do with the owners trying to save money. if anything its for opening up a roster spot to add come trade deadline

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Sure, but this move has nothing to do with the owners trying to save money. if anything its for opening up a roster spot to add come trade deadline
Only way you’d know that is if you work in the FO or if it was reported by a credible source (none posted here). Could be to cut a little bit of costs. Could be doing Vinnie a favor. Could be for the roster spot (could just waive him, only 47 contract atm). Or some combo, or something else all together.

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
Florida ditches a player they don't like for nothing.

Chicago brings back a player they like for nothing.

Win - win.

Reactions: violaswallet

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Florida ditches a player they don't like for nothing.

Chicago brings back a player they like for nothing.

Win - win.
The other winner: Hinostroza.

Of the cheap signing (Hinny, Verh, Lomberg), I was most excited for Hinny but it just didn’t work out. Q preferred to play a seventh D than him when Duclair, Barkov and Hornqvist were out. He gets to play for a new contract where he might be able to contribute.

This doesn’t effect our cap space: we will have like 20M available at the deadline anyways with the Ekblad injury

Reactions: harv33173 and banks

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
there was. sceviour makes $1.2m and was part of that trade. also, after this season hornqvist has two more years at a $5.3m salary while matheson has five more years at an average of $5.7m salary (lmao). they took on some money short term but ditched a lot long term.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Was Hinostroza just a product of some “well someone has to score” Arizona teams?
it's funny because yotes fans immediate thought bowman got fleeced giving up hinostroza in the Hossa deal. hinostroza was always a tweener. if you force feed him middle six minutes on a bad team, sure he can get you 30-40 pts. but he likely doesn't have a daily spot on a good team

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
We don't really need Montour though. We need help on the pk and someone to shut down the opposition's best forwards.

Montour PKs and is deployed as a shit down guy!!

Ideally the Cats would acquire Savard or Ekholm or Manson.

Even more ideal would be getting Ekholm or Savard for the PK, and Montour for the PP (I’m assuming Ekblad is on one of the PP units here).

I just assume with the season the Cats are having it might be one to go for it and make the team deeper. At worst it fails and you don’t have to pay them beyond this season.

Reactions: harv33173

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Montour PKs and is deployed as a shit down guy!!

Ideally the Cats would acquire Savard or Ekholm or Manson.

Even more ideal would be getting Ekholm or Savard for the PK, and Montour for the PP (I’m assuming Ekblad is on one of the PP units here).

I just assume with the season the Cats are having it might be one to go for it and make the team deeper. At worst it fails and you don’t have to pay them beyond this season.

Montour isn't really someone I think of when I think of a shutdown guy. He does an admirable job on that Sabres team, but I think Forsling can/has played at the same level. We need an upgrade to play with Weegar. I'd like either Manson or Savard, although Manson has had the better season. Savard is attractive though because we don't have to give Seattle anything to not touch him.

Reactions: harv33173

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Montour isn't really someone I think of when I think of a shutdown guy. He does an admirable job on that Sabres team, but I think Forsling can/has played at the same level. We need an upgrade to play with Weegar. I'd like either Manson or Savard, although Manson has had the better season. Savard is attractive though because we don't have to give Seattle anything to not touch him.

Is Weegar deployed as a shutdown guy? I assumed he was Ekblad’s partner and they got mostly neutral zone or offensive zone starts. Of course I also don’t watch as much hockey as I used to because I’m too busy with school. So I only occasionally make time for a Sabres game so I can rip on them.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Is Weegar deployed as a shutdown guy? I assumed he was Ekblad’s partner and they got mostly neutral zone or offensive zone starts. Of course I also don’t watch as much hockey as I used to because I’m too busy with school. So I only occasionally make time for a Sabres game so I can rip on them.

Yeah him and Ekblad were the shutdown pairing and the top pk pairing. Ekblad also played the top pp pairing, which also played almost the whole 2 minutes. Weegar is now forced to play all the toughest minutes in all situations. He' s doing a good job of it for now, but eventually he' s going to buckle without help.

Reactions: MarkusKetterer

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Yeah him and Ekblad were the shutdown pairing and the top pk pairing. Ekblad also played the top pp pairing, which also played almost the whole 2 minutes. Weegar is now forced to play all the toughest minutes in all situations. He' s doing a good job of it for now, but eventually he' s going to buckle without help.

Interesting. I wouldn’t have thought so. But in that case, losing Ekblad is a big loss.

Reactions: Dread Clawz

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL

yeah, those reports were false. They added loads of defenders and ADDED to the payroll. They also paid their employees throughout the pandemic. But yeah, they really need that 500K.

Vinnie couldn’t get into the lineup, now he has a chance to get into Chicago’s lineup. That’s what this was about, and maybe freeing a

also, Panthers just added Knight and Kierstad, this frees a spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad