Waived: [CHI] F Boris Katchouk waived by the Blackhawks (cleared)

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Taylor Raddysh $750,000 pending RFA
Boris Katchouk $750,000 pending RFA
OLIVER MOORE
2024 1ST

for

Brandon Hagel $1,500,000 soon to be $6,500,000
Kenny Connors

Sure the trade looks like a knockout for TB right now…how about when an already cashstraped Lightning team has to pay $5 million more…and we’ll see what that other 1st brings the Hawks
A 30 goal scorer is a 30 goal scorer any way you look at it.

As for contacts, it's not like the Lightning don't figure out ways to get players signed or anything....

Venzio X

Apr 24, 2013
Taylor Raddysh $750,000 pending RFA
Boris Katchouk $750,000 pending RFA
OLIVER MOORE
2024 1ST

for

Brandon Hagel $1,500,000 soon to be $6,500,000
Kenny Connors

Sure the trade looks like a knockout for TB right now…how about when an already cashstraped Lightning team has to pay $5 million more…and we’ll see what that other 1st brings the Hawks
Hagel is worth every penny of that 6,6 million. Has been after Kucherov best Tampa player this season.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022

As for contacts, it's not like the Lightning don't figure out ways to get players signed or anything....
Taylor Raddysh a 20 goal scorer.....Is not a 20 goal scorer. I still make that trade every day of the week.

2 1sts to use during a rebuild for a guy that would have hurt the tank. We can probly trade to get him back once the lightning start to really go downhill and the hawks start to compete.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Taylor Raddysh a 20 goal scorer.....Is not a 20 goal scorer. I still make that trade every day of the week.

2 1sts to use during a rebuild for a guy that would have hurt the tank. We can probly trade to get him back once the lightning start to really go downhill and the hawks start to compete.

Judging by that roster Hagel might be retired by the time the Hawks are relevant.

Reactions: Behn Wilson

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
They may have waived him because of intel they received about the world junior investigation

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It never would have made sense for the Hawks to give Hagel all that term and he would have just gotten in the way of tanking for Bedard. Katchouk was never a particularly relevant piece in that trade. If he was involved in the Canada stuff then good riddance to be gone of him now than before the hammer drops.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Judging by that roster Hagel might be retired by the time the Hawks are relevant.
Three years MAX. Bedard Moore Nazar Dach Reichel Kurashev Top 5 pick this year Korchinski Vlasic Jones Rinzel Commesso Del Mastro Allen and more capspace then anyone in the league and top 5 city to live in. We comin.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Meh, it's just wishful thinking.

I'm not buying into the draft pick hype and I'm not a tank bro.

You don't give up on 23 year olds at the time for draft picks who have a 75% chance of not being the player they just traded and two complete slugs who, at the time of the trade, the Hawks GM was hyping up as NHL bodies.

Two fourth liners and two middle first round picks don't equal a 30 goal scorer who's 25 and would fit perfectly with the so called tank. It's dumb asset management.

Seriously, what can anybody say about draft picks? They're killing it playing in college? Good lord.....

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

You don't give up on 23 year olds at the time for draft picks who have a 75% chance of not being the player they just traded and two complete slugs who, at the time of the trade, the Hawks GM was hyping up as NHL bodies.

Two fourth liners and two middle first round picks don't equal a 30 goal scorer who's 25 and would fit perfectly with the so called tank. It's dumb asset management.

Seriously, what can anybody say about draft picks? They're killing it playing in college? Good lord.....
Your ideal hawks team (as a “fan”) would have been Dach, Hagel and DeBrincat all on UFA deals, and their best prospect would be someone like Nate Danielson with no Bedard, Korchinski, Nazar or Moore in the system.

Thank god you (a good faith Blackhawk fan that doesn’t think they should be fined five first round picks or Bedard should ask out and only wants the best for the Hawks) aren’t the GM.

“I’m not a tank bro”

Then you’re a “hawks just kinda suck forever” bro. Sorry you didn’t get your wish.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Hagel is worth every penny of that 6,6 million. Has been after Kucherov best Tampa player this season.

tell that to Blake Coleman
Barclay Goodrow
Yanni Gourde
Tyler Johnson
Alex Killorn
Patrick Maroon
Ryan McDonough
Ondrej Palat
Kevin Shattenkirk
Carter Verhaeghe
and that the Lightning only has Seabs LTIR of $6.8 mill for this remaining season…so Hagel raise and Seabs contract ending means an increase in cap by $13 mill

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Three years MAX. Bedard Moore Nazar Dach Reichel Kurashev Top 5 pick this year Korchinski Vlasic Jones Rinzel Commesso Del Mastro Allen and more capspace then anyone in the league and top 5 city to live in. We comin.
That would be a really quick turnaround. Lots of things would have to fall in line first.

Venzio X

Apr 24, 2013
tell that to Blake Coleman
Barclay Goodrow
Yanni Gourde
Tyler Johnson
Alex Killorn
Patrick Maroon
Ryan McDonough
Ondrej Palat
Kevin Shattenkirk
Carter Verhaeghe
and that the Lightning only has Seabs LTIR of $6.8 mill for this remaining season…so Hagel raise and Seabs contract ending means an increase in cap by $13 mill
You obviously don't understand how LTIR works...

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Your ideal hawks team (as a “fan”) would have been Dach, Hagel and DeBrincat all on UFA deals, and their best prospect would be someone like Nate Danielson with no Bedard, Korchinski, Nazar or Moore in the system.
Baseless assumption considering I wasn't a fan of Dach and not once said anything about not wanting Bedard, so that's just some silly false narrative.

Yes, Hagel and Cat are now and will be better then whatever flotsam was brought in from those trades. The Hawks right now have a generational talent and those players would have been better served with the whole "mentoring" drivel that was spewed by the Hawks in bringing in garbage players for the sake of bottoming out.

Whatever rebuild was being manipulated thru the media, like when they actually were tweeting how many draft picks they had like lost clowns away from the miniature car, ended the second they drafted a generational talent. And sorry, a bunch of kids "derp derp killing it in college and juniors brooo" means absolutely nothing.

Ill trade you 100 bucks for 100 dollar lottery tickets. But hey, you might win what, 500 dollars per ticket it even says so on it.

Thank god you (a good faith Blackhawk fan that doesn’t think they should be fined five first round picks or Bedard should ask out and only wants the best for the Hawks) aren’t the GM.
Yeah sorry I think the Hawks deserve punishment for covering up an assault for over a decade considering a child was assaulted after a monster was allowed to run free.

I don't think that child should be told "well the Hawks got rid of everyone involved, you should be OK now, so just move on".

“I’m not a tank bro”

Then you’re a “hawks just kinda suck forever” bro. Sorry you didn’t get your wish.
Quite the opposite.

I'm a "fix the damn team now considering it's been how long since they've been in the playoffs " bro.

This teams an embarrassment.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Baseless assumption considering I wasn't a fan of Dach and not once said anything about not wanting Bedard, so that's just some silly false narrative.
Facts and logic would indicate having players like DeBrincat and Hagel would cause the 2022-23 Hawks to win more games and thus less likely to borderline impossible to get Bedard.
Yes, Hagel and Cat are now and will be better then whatever flotsam was brought in from those trades.
Somehow they are going to have better players and still have Bedard? Huh?
The Hawks right now have a generational talent and those players would have been better served with the whole "mentoring" drivel that was spewed by the Hawks in bringing in garbage players for the sake of bottoming out.
Hagel to be the "mentor"? So pay him throughout his contract to mentor who? Reichel? lol
Whatever rebuild was being manipulated thru the media, like when they actually were tweeting how many draft picks they had like lost clowns away from the miniature car, ended the second they drafted a generational talent.
Do you know the timing of when Hagel was traded?
And sorry, a bunch of kids "derp derp killing it in college and juniors brooo" means absolutely nothing.
Are you aware that every NHL impact player once was a college or junior player? Do you think the field of NHL players is static forever "bro"?
Ill trade you 100 bucks for 100 dollar lottery tickets. But hey, you might win what, 500 dollars per ticket it even says so on it.
More like stock, not lotto tickets if we're going for analogies. If we're using extremes, would you like $100 or 100 shares of Facebook before it IPO'd? The 100 shares of Facebook could have been worth $0, it even says so on the disclosures.
Yeah sorry I think the Hawks deserve punishment for covering up an assault for over a decade considering a child was assaulted after a monster was allowed to run free.
You don't care about that, you're not a Hawks fan.
I don't think that child should be told "well the Hawks got rid of everyone involved, you should be OK now, so just move on".
You think telling a child "the Hawks don't have draft picks" brings them restitution?
Quite the opposite.

I'm a "fix the damn team now considering it's been how long since they've been in the playoffs " bro.
Shoot for the middle. Are you Stan Bowman?
This teams an embarrassment.
It's called a rebuild.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
I'm happy for Hagel.
I hope he scores 30-goals per year for the rest of his career.

I'm also happy with the return on the trade.
Acquiring two 1st-round picks is a great way to help a rebuild.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018

Thanks for proving that you don’t have the slightest clue how LTIR works. It makes it that much easier to ignore the rest of your uninformed opinions.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
If we had kept both Hagel and Cat we wouldn't have Moore, the 24 1st ( likely around #15 ), Korchinski and Paul Ludwinski. So we wouldn't have a stud 3LC ( possibly a 2LC ) and a potential top 2 D. yeah it's rolling the dice but I make that bet any day of the week given the status of the team at the time and the valid need to go full rebuild.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

Keeping and paying Hagel and/or Debrincat would have been a fantastic way to ensure the Blackhawks ascended to and plateaued at the level of the 2010s Minnesota wild. Just good enough to scratch the surface of relevancy, not good enough to do anything of interest for a decade.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Keeping and paying Hagel and/or Debrincat would have been a fantastic way to ensure the Blackhawks ascended to and plateaued at the level of the 2010s Minnesota wild. Just good enough to scratch the surface of relevancy, not good enough to do anything of interest for a decade.
What?

Keeping two top six players is now a bad thing?

Face facts- the Hawks were pathetic with both of them and they would have still been in the running for Bedard. This whole "we had to trade them for Bedard" drivel is just that.

The Hagel trade was a stupid move. They have nothing to show for it and Moore is starting to look like nothing that was expected of him. People were saying he was a top ten talent, many here were saying that, and he's looking like a potential Viktor Stalberg, which is what I was saying all along.

You don't trade Brandon Hagel for two fourth liners, Viktor Stalberg, and lord knows whatever pick this organization wastes with the other first rounder.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
What?

Keeping two top six players is now a bad thing?

Face facts- the Hawks were pathetic with both of them and they would have still been in the running for Bedard. This whole "we had to trade them for Bedard" drivel is just that.

The Hagel trade was a stupid move. They have nothing to show for it and Moore is starting to look like nothing that was expected of him. People were saying he was a top ten talent, many here were saying that, and he's looking like a potential Viktor Stalberg, which is what I was saying all along.

You don't trade Brandon Hagel for two fourth liners, Viktor Stalberg, and lord knows whatever pick this organization wastes with the other first rounder.

Nonsense.

Need I remind you, the Blackhawks without Hagel and Debrincat did not even successfully secure the best odds at Connor Bedard.

They were in a dog fight with 3 other teams and lucked into a lottery bounce from 3rd place. If the Blackhawks add the 122 combined points that Hagel and Debrincat scored in their final year with the Blackhawks to the 2023 roster, there is zero chance they don't finish higher than San Jose and end up with Will Smith or somebody even less promising. That is, for reference, an even bigger drop in prospect value than Jack Hughes to Kirby Dach.

It is lunacy to suggest that the Blackhawks, a rebuilding team, shouldn't have traded two players that would be expensive, on the down-side of their prime and close to 30 by the time the team is ready to contend for draft capital. Davidson and the Blackhawks have done a stellar job turning a bad team choked by old expensive players into a team with an elite centerpiece, a promising pipeline, TONS of draft capital AND, perhaps most valuable of all, OBSCENE cap space to work with. The plan was always to suck this year. Nobody should be surprised they suck this year, that's why they acquired and kept the metric ton of draft picks they had beyond the 2023 draft after landing Bedard. It takes an ARMY to make a legit contender and we're still drafting generals.

It's also super easy to assume any prospect short of a blue chipper is a bust, because most of the players drafted after the 15th spot end up somewhere between average to bust. That's precisely the reason you WANT as many lottery tickets as possible. Any rebuilding team WANTS to amass as many draft picks as possible, to improve their odds at drafting good NHL players that can fill roles that therefore won't need to cost assets in a trade or overpays in free-agency down the road.

The truth is, the 18 year old kid in his first half of a college season hockey is exactly as close to looking like Viktor Stalbery as he is to looking like Ryan Kesler. Because he's an 18 year old prospect. Give the kid time to develop, we're not trying to compete next season, we just want the team and all the prospects to take a step. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Rebuilds are painful. That's why teams like Vancouver, Calgary, Minnesota, Nashville, etc refuse to do them, and remain wobbling around the mushy middle of the league forever with the odd spike in performance when everything lines up perfectly for a year or two in a completely unsustainable fashion. I'd rather suck really really bad to set the foundation for greatness down the line, that have my team try to shortcut and 'stay competitive' for the sake of impatient meatballs.

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Every terrible team has a list of guys like this. That list just ends up churning with more new "we comin'" prospects for half a dozen+ years as half of them don't turn out, don't live up to the hype, turn out to be depth/role players at the NHL level. Shiny new prospects come into the fold, kicking the timeline down the road even more. Some teams eventually pull themselves out of that...some teams don't.

The Cap space and a very desirable city is certainly a big advantage. But as we've seen with the Rangers at times...it can also be a trap. If a team gets trigger happy with money burning a hole in their pockets and starts to make those "mega splashes" in UFA before they're really quite at the true fulcrum of their rebuild...it can turn things into a bit of a murky mess.

Rebuilds aren't automatic success stories. Most fizzle or flounder for a lot longer than fans expect. 3 Years is an insanely quick turnaround. You can usually only introduce so many young new players at a time successfully. Even the Hawks previous "model rebuild" was stratified fairly well.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Every terrible team has a list of guys like this. That list just ends up churning with more new "we comin'" prospects for half a dozen+ years as half of them don't turn out, don't live up to the hype, turn out to be depth/role players at the NHL level. Shiny new prospects come into the fold, kicking the timeline down the road even more.
"No rebuild is ever successful"

Rebuilds aren't automatic success stories.
Well yes, there is one Cup Champion and 31 losers every year.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Every terrible team has a list of guys like this. That list just ends up churning with more new "we comin'" prospects for half a dozen+ years as half of them don't turn out, don't live up to the hype, turn out to be depth/role players at the NHL level. Shiny new prospects come into the fold, kicking the timeline down the road even more. Some teams eventually pull themselves out of that...some teams don't.

The Cap space and a very desirable city is certainly a big advantage. But as we've seen with the Rangers at times...it can also be a trap. If a team gets trigger happy with money burning a hole in their pockets and starts to make those "mega splashes" in UFA before they're really quite at the true fulcrum of their rebuild...it can turn things into a bit of a murky mess.

Rebuilds aren't automatic success stories. Most fizzle or flounder for a lot longer than fans expect. 3 Years is an insanely quick turnaround. You can usually only introduce so many young new players at a time successfully. Even the Hawks previous "model rebuild" was stratified fairly well.

Completely understand.

It could go completely south. I guess I should say I like the chances better than not they are in a playoff spot in 3 years.

Bedard being the big difference in "every terrible team". This terrible team has a number 1 center already locked in. The most cap space, the 2nd best prospect pool, and 13 top 2 round picks in the next 3 years including a top 3 this year.

There will have to be a lot of mistakes for them to be still bottom half of the league in a few years. Possible. Not likely IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad