Confirmed Trade: [CHI/CBJ] Panarin, Motte, 6th for Saad, Forsberg, 2018 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Panarin is a very talented player, and I think his point totals will remain high in Columbus. How high depends on how willing the coaches there are to afford lop-sided ozone starts.

If they try and just slot him in for Saad in the lineup with no deployment adjustments for that line, I think he'll have some trouble reaching tjose totals.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Kane himself credited Panarin with a lot of his success for the Hart season. And whether you want to believe Kane was just being modest or what have you, the chemistry those two had on the ice was undeniable and Panarin helped Kane's game achieve new heights. Outside of last season and the Hart season, Kane only had ONE season where he scored in the 80s before. "On pace for" does not equal actually doing something. The straight up fact is Kane had his two best points-producing seasons to date with Panarin on his left wing.

And Panarin is not a product of Kane, which is the point I was trying to make. Kane scored 17 fewer points this season than last, but Panarin still produced approximately the same amount (3 fewer points, but more goals). So Panarin was not some passenger on Kane's out-of-this-world season.

Whether Panarin was one-dimensional or not, 74 points is 74 points. I would bet Columbus doesn't care how goals are scored as long as they actually ARE scored. Moreover, I am betting that you will see many more "dimensions" to Panarin in Columbus now that he will be THE guy on offense. Panarin is not some complementary player. He is a very gifted playmaker in his own right (I know people here generally don't give a crap about anything other than the NHL, but his playmaking ability was on full display at this year's World Championships in which he was the top scorer) and since he won't be deferring to Kane, the rest of the league will see that he is much more than just that one-timer.

I followed Panarin in the KHL prior to him coming to Chicago, and I knew he would do great in the NHL because his talent was so obvious. I also believe he will continue to be a beast in Columbus, even without Kane.

The NHL is a hard league man. Lots of guys came here, had crazy seasons and then started floating back. Panarin, good as he is, preferred to stay out of the action in year 2 and float.

Think about it. You seem like a pretty smart guy. Scores 7 goals in last 7 games. Then is completely outclassed in the playoffs, showing less poise and ability to adjust than some of the rookies, then goes on to dominate the world championships immediately after that. What is it about his game that is much more suitable for late season garbage time and the worlds but not at all the playoffs? It's the way he plays, it sucks for the NHL playoffs, it sucks for crunch time when you need to battle for it. The sad part is he was fine in the playoffs his first year. He wasn't great but still played a much more rounded offensive game, making plays around the net, battling to keep possession. Haven't seen that guy in a long time.

halcyon

Jun 23, 2015
The NHL is a hard league man. Lots of guys came here, had crazy seasons and then started floating back. Panarin, good as he is, preferred to stay out of the action in year 2 and float.

Think about it. You seem like a pretty smart guy. Scores 7 goals in last 7 games. Then is completely outclassed in the playoffs, showing less poise and ability to adjust than some of the rookies, then goes on to dominate the world championships immediately after that. What is it about his game that is much more suitable for late season garbage time and the worlds but not at all the playoffs? It's the way he plays, it sucks for the NHL playoffs, it sucks for crunch time when you need to battle for it. The sad part is he was fine in the playoffs his first year. He wasn't great but still played a much more rounded offensive game, making plays around the net, battling to keep possession. Haven't seen that guy in a long time.

I don't dispute that Panarin should have been better in the playoffs this year. However the same could be said about the entire ****ing Blackhawks TEAM. It just is a little odd to me to make a definitive conclusion that Panarin just can't cut it in the NHL playoffs based on a 4-game sample size in which every single player on his team (save for maaaaaybe Crawford) was abysmal.

I mean, as you yourself pointed out, he already has shown the ability to score in the playoffs, since he had 7 points in 7 games with the Blues (which was tied with Kane for most points of anyone on the team that series).

Over the last two seasons, Panarin has 8 points in 11 playoff games... tied for second among all Blackhawks in points over that time frame behind Kane who has 9.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I don't dispute that Panarin should have been better in the playoffs this year. However the same could be said about the entire ****ing Blackhawks TEAM. It just is a little odd to me to make a definitive conclusion that Panarin just can't cut it in the NHL playoffs based on a 4-game sample size in which every single player on his team (save for maaaaaybe Crawford) was abysmal.

I mean, as you yourself pointed out, he already has shown the ability to score in the playoffs, since he had 7 points in 7 games with the Blues (which was tied with Kane for most points of anyone on the team that series).

Over the last two seasons, Panarin has 8 points in 11 playoff games... tied for second among all Blackhawks in points over that time frame behind Kane who has 9.

Yeah, we'll see what happens this year, it'll be exciting for sure, this trade won't be decided for another year, maybe two. Two high quality young players.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Kane was on pace for the Art Ross before he missed the final 20 games of the 2015 Season - before Panarin was a Hawk.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Kane was on pace for the Art Ross before he missed the final 20 games of the 2015 Season - before Panarin was a Hawk.

Yeah, but his points were on pace what he scored the last season. And Kane played some games with Toews the last season, that's why his points turned out to be realatively low. Panarin meanwhile was scoring on his usual pace, playing with Anisimov and Hossa.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Kane scored before Panarin and will score after Panarin.
Getting Saad back will be huge for the matchups. Saad will help Toews big time in winning the tough matchup and creating some offense himself.
Kane will get the bumslayer role and will score his Points. Schmaltz next to him could work great.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Kane scored before Panarin and will score after Panarin.
Getting Saad back will be huge for the matchups. Saad will help Toews big time in winning the tough matchup and creating some offense himself.
Kane will get the bumslayer role and will score his Points. Schmaltz next to him could work great.

Toews will keep sucking, and Kane won't score as much as he did with Panarin.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Wouldn't believe Panarin scored 74 points last year when reading the last few pages.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
There's more to hockey than points. Would you have Ovechkin on your team? I doubt it.

I know there's more than point in hockey, I've watched Bergeron play enough.

But you need to score some goals as well, and you don't just find 70+ point forwards that easily.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Toews will keep sucking, and Kane won't score as much as he did with Panarin.
If Toews and Saad dominate possession while Kane scores enough to get the Hawks another Cup, who really cares?

Many are just looking at the names instead of looking at the reasons why the Hawks made the two big trades. The end goal is the same-day win Cups. If Panarin stays a top ten scorer but the Hawks win the Cup, who really won this trade?

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Panarin was a cancer to this team, glad he's gone.

9yE0xih.gif

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If Toews and Saad dominate possession while Kane scores enough to get the Hawks another Cup, who really cares?

Many are just looking at the names instead of looking at the reasons why the Hawks made the two big trades. The end goal is the same-day win Cups. If Panarin stays a top ten scorer but the Hawks win the Cup, who really won this trade?

I really don't see that happening in the near future.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I know there's more than point in hockey, I've watched Bergeron play enough.

But you need to score some goals as well, and you don't just find 70+ point forwards that easily.

I understand that. We just need to watch the games at this point. Really, there is no sense in arguing. Panarin just came off two seasons next to Kane and Saad 2 seasons in CBJ. There is a night and day difference now. Panarin has to start playing like he did in his rookie year or Torts will eat him. I hope he does. He showed amazing potential. That's why it hurt so bad to see him pack it last year.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Kane didn't score over 30 goals once in his career. Panarin became his linemate. 46 goals.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Yeah, but his points were on pace what he scored the last season. And Kane played some games with Toews the last season, that's why his points turned out to be realatively low. Panarin meanwhile was scoring on his usual pace, playing with Anisimov and Hossa.

During Toews and actually maybe Kanes hottest paces during late season February early March Panarin was draining in point production for awhile, moreso than the 2 weeks Hossa was RW. There was a lot of Hawks fan complaining and upset for a long while he has been not scoring goals with 2 post all star break or something like that.

But that's when a lot of people took notice his game was way too one dimensional of looking for the pass to Kane then waiting around for the one timer. He rarely creates a scoring chance for himself with the puck on his stick, he a great playmaker passing still

massivegoonery

Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
I understand that. We just need to watch the games at this point. Really, there is no sense in arguing. Panarin just came off two seasons next to Kane and Saad 2 seasons in CBJ. There is a night and day difference now. Panarin has to start playing like he did in his rookie year or Torts will eat him. I hope he does. He showed amazing potential. That's why it hurt so bad to see him pack it last year.

So this is what the narrative is now?

You're off your rocker.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Panarin >> Saad

Not quite. Panarin is a better offensive player than Saad, no question but Saad is far superior defensively that Panarin. There 5v5 scoring is really close and that is with Panarin getting loaded up with OZ starts. Panarin is the more dynamic player but Saad is a better fit (and locked up for longer).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad