Confirmed Buy-Out [CHI] Blackhawks buyout Brett Connolly and Henrik Borgstrom

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
If they ask out the Hawks can move Kane most likely

Toews is more difficult because of his decline + salary even at retention. He is most likely TDL when he will be more affordable to move to contender to provide depth at LW or C

I am hoping Connor Murphy is traded soon but he has partial NTC as well as Jake McCabe but his struggles in first half of last year probably make him less appealing to teams at moment. He also has a limited NTC but it's a no Canada list it appears (7 team list = 7 teams in Canada) so that isn't much of an issue

Plus, Hawks probably want at least one of them around with Jones to be vet with kids

If someone has a pulse and can skate that is instant replacement for the bum

If Connolly was NHL player he wouldn't have been cap dump from Florida and playing in Rockford

He isn't good enough for NHL at this point

He was an NHL player. Just like Mrazek. As far as playing in Rockford, not sure anyone associated with the team last year actually knew what they were doing.

Folks feel bad for the STHs. Feel bad for Luke Richardson.

bebl

Jul 5, 2008
Finland
Why even buyout Borgstrom?

It would have been a 1 million caphit this year, then RFA. You bury him, so only have $75,000 against this cap this year, than don't qualify him next year.

Instead, with the buyout he counts as $83,334 against the cap this year, and $183,334 next year.

Like what is Chicago thinkin? I get there's actual dollars paid out involved, but your Chicago, you have money.
100% this

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
iu

From the outside - Chicago has been the most entertainment I've had regarding an NHL off season in some time.

Reactions: EddieTheEagle

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
It's not really a big deal. Usually, though, if a club knows that they're going to be godawful, they would give players that would otherwise be buyout candidates or fringe NHLers a bunch of ice time so that they could be potential rebound candidates/deadline bait (see Arizona). Moves like this, along with the Strome and Kubalik non-tenders, seem very questionable in that context, unless you think that you can fill ALL of that open space with cap dumps.
These players don’t play the type of game that new Hawk leadership wants. If you want speed and grit you don’t want players seeing veterans like Borgstrom, Connelly, Strome or Kubalik leading the way.

I get the feeling that many, many worse players will suit up for Chicago this season.
But they will play the game (to the best of their ability) the way management wants it played moving forward.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I for one am looking forward to getting, in the years going forward, yet another strong example of how tearing it all down to the studs (like so many folks keep insisting everybody should do every time the New Hotness comes along) is a consistent recipe for disaster. Because this will end badly. Of this I am absolutely, 100% certain.
Their rebuild may or may not succeed, letting Borgstrom and Connolly go won’t be the reason for failure.

Strange how up on arms people are over not qualifying two nothing players.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Maybe Davidson is just doing all of Bowmans moves, as his legacy is now an embarrassment to Hawks ownership

pnch40

May 31, 2015
I don't think TyJo is going to hold up under that pressure and given all that's gone on I'm not yet convinced they keep Kurashev. And even if I'm wrong on both that's not enough forwards.

The blueline is "fine" (by these standards) but admittedly I can't remember who they'd currently be developing there in the first place off the top of my head. (EDIT: OMFG I'm an idiot, of course they just drafted Korchinski and Rinzel.)

I'm just looking at this roster and shaking my head, thinking "Reichel and Nazar are going to be absolutely destroyed as prospects and that's not just a damned shame, it ought to be a crime." (Then again, given the precedents set with Dach and Boqvist, this was perhaps inevitable...)

It’s a bit different for Reichel and Nazar. They are not expected to be missing pieces. They are just expected to play good hockey. Dach and Boqvist had extreme pressure from day one to produce and be the missing pieces.

Huge difference

Reactions: FourQuarters

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It’s a bit different for Reichel and Nazar. They are not expected to be missing pieces. They are just expected to play good hockey. Dach and Boqvist had extreme pressure from day one to produce and be the missing pieces.

Huge difference
If there's nobody else to fill in those spots on the roster, then I consider this a distinction without a difference.

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
These players don’t play the type of game that new Hawk leadership wants. If you want speed and grit you don’t want players seeing veterans like Borgstrom, Connelly, Strome or Kubalik leading the way.

Borgström is only 24 yo, has played 110 NHL games in his career. Not a veteran player. He also had covid last season which meant that he wasn't able to have the fitness that he would have liked to have.

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
I don't think TyJo is going to hold up under that pressure and given all that's gone on I'm not yet convinced they keep Kurashev. And even if I'm wrong on both that's not enough forwards.

The blueline is "fine" (by these standards) but admittedly I can't remember who they'd currently be developing there in the first place off the top of my head. (EDIT: OMFG I'm an idiot, of course they just drafted Korchinski and Rinzel.)

I'm just looking at this roster and shaking my head, thinking "Reichel and Nazar are going to be absolutely destroyed as prospects and that's not just a damned shame, it ought to be a crime." (Then again, given the precedents set with Dach and Boqvist, this was perhaps inevitable...)

Nazar won't make the league this year, and who knows what the team will look like when he does. They'll have plenty of cap space to add via free agency.

Even this year it looks like:

prospect - Toews - Kane
Kurashev - Johnson - prospect

That's plenty enough to insulate Reichel until the deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad