Confirmed Buy-Out [CHI] Blackhawks buyout Brett Connolly and Henrik Borgstrom

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago buys out two forwards who combined for 8 points last season. With one of them spending nearly 75% of the season buried in the AHL. And folks freak out.
No one is freaking out in this thread at all, relax.

People are pointing out that Chicago is making yet another negative value move, and the aggregate of all of these negative value moves over the past week or so is worthy of discussion and very much open to criticism.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
This is a real-life version of the movie Major League except it's hockey vs. baseball.
Damn right it is.

They have a big blow up picture of Rocky Wirtz in the corner and after every win they pull off an article of clothing down to his adult diapers.

I don’t see nooooo winning steaks, just sayin

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
They still have Kane, Toews, Johnson, Kurashev up front and Jones, Murphy, Stillman, McCabe on the back end. They could and probably will sell some of those at the deadline, but they aren't bereft of vets yet. Borgstrom wasn't going to be the difference maker, and Dach's confidence likely would have been crushed by the upcoming season So the only vet they got rid of who could have been part of the solution is Debrincat. And they may even add a few vets in free agency who better fit their new team profile.

Not sure this is quite as big a tear down as you think.
I don't think TyJo is going to hold up under that pressure and given all that's gone on I'm not yet convinced they keep Kurashev. And even if I'm wrong on both that's not enough forwards.

The blueline is "fine" (by these standards) but admittedly I can't remember who they'd currently be developing there in the first place off the top of my head. (EDIT: OMFG I'm an idiot, of course they just drafted Korchinski and Rinzel.)

I'm just looking at this roster and shaking my head, thinking "Reichel and Nazar are going to be absolutely destroyed as prospects and that's not just a damned shame, it ought to be a crime." (Then again, given the precedents set with Dach and Boqvist, this was perhaps inevitable...)

Reactions: FourQuarters

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
:shakehead
I swear to G-d, everybody makes this particular strawman mistake...

Yes, having those top end stars greatly increases the chances of winning. BUT if you rip everything up like the Blackhawks are doing in an attempt to gamble for one, then even if you do get the guy (at best a weighted coin flip, and it is not weighted in your favor) the odds of him actually being able to lead the scrambled, broken, demoralized ash heap that constitutes the rest of the team that's left over are pretty much nonexistent. By tearing your team to shreds like this, you destroy any hope of being able to develop the supporting cast and you end up with folks that have all the talent in the world but zero motivation or confidence. We've seen it so many times before.
The goal isn't for 1 guy to do it all... It's still gonna be about being in a long rebuild for 3 years or so after that.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The goal isn't for 1 guy to do it all... It's still gonna be about being in a long rebuild for 3 years or so after that.
...Obviously, but the rest of the guys aren't going to be able to develop well if they're expected to immediately take on heavy NHL minutes. That's the problem.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Could this rival the three headed monster that was the 2014-2015 Sabres, Oilers, and Coyotes rosters?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
No one is freaking out in this thread at all, relax.

People are pointing out that Chicago is making yet another negative value move, and the aggregate of all of these negative value moves over the past week or so is worthy of discussion and very much open to criticism.

Buying out players who already had negative value is not necessarily a negative value move.

The buyout cap space doesn't matter since Chicago is rebuilding. Chicago saves some payroll on players they don't want and opens up roster slots for other players.

Now, buying out Johnson would be a negative value move, as his buyout term would extend into the years Chicago hopes to be competitive.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Whatever on Borgstrom although there is almost no one to replace him so why not just carry him for the year. Maybe he leaves on his own. Connolly was an actual NHL player albeit over-payed for who he is. Don't see many of those on the roster. Any return to form he could yield something in return later in the season. I know collecting assets isn't a priority however.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
No way Toews/Kane aren’t traded soon. No way

If they ask out the Hawks can move Kane most likely

Toews is more difficult because of his decline + salary even at retention. He is most likely TDL when he will be more affordable to move to contender to provide depth at LW or C

I am hoping Connor Murphy is traded soon but he has partial NTC as well as Jake McCabe but his struggles in first half of last year probably make him less appealing to teams at moment. He also has a limited NTC but it's a no Canada list it appears (7 team list = 7 teams in Canada) so that isn't much of an issue

Plus, Hawks probably want at least one of them around with Jones to be vet with kids

Whatever on Borgstrom although there is almost no one to replace him so why not just carry him for the year. Maybe he leaves on his own. Connolly was an actual NHL player albeit over-payed for who he is. Don't see many of those on the roster. Any return to form he could yield something in return later in the season. I know collecting assets isn't a priority however.

If someone has a pulse and can skate that is instant replacement for the bum

If Connolly was NHL player he wouldn't have been cap dump from Florida and playing in Rockford

He isn't good enough for NHL at this point

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Colorado used to suck... Tampa Bay used to suck..

You win by sucking. Its a proven thing. Winning in the NHL is hard and there is a lot of luck involved. Just because EDM hasn't supported McDavid and Draisaitl to the best of their abilities doesn't mean that their team isn't better after sucking. They played unreal this playoffs and just ran into a better team.

Its about sucking, and sucking at the right time. If you develop the prospects correctly, if you add external pieces to your team that insulate the youth, all those things matter too, and you have to do those right, but at the end of the day you win with superstar pieces and the best chance to get superstar pieces is in the top 5 so... I welcome it.

CBJ is doing a great job at building a team. They've drafted well, they have two GMs on the Payroll (Stan Bowman is the second) and they look like they are on the up and up. I think repeating what they have done is a lot harder than just being awful on purpose.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Why even buyout Borgstrom?

It would have been a 1 million caphit this year, then RFA. You bury him, so only have $75,000 against this cap this year, than don't qualify him next year.

Instead, with the buyout he counts as $83,334 against the cap this year, and $183,334 next year.

Like what is Chicago thinkin? I get there's actual dollars paid out involved, but your Chicago, you have money.

Reactions: bebl

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
I feel like there's a game of chicken going on between the front office and Patrick Kane.

"We're going to trade you"
"No I have an NMC"
Chicago makes trade
"No I have an NMC"
Chicago waives roster players
"No I have an NMC"

How many crap moves do they have to make until Kane waives his NMC?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad