Confirmed Trade: [CHI/ARI] Nick Schmaltz for Brendan Perlini and Dylan Strome

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I didn’t like the trade at the time for Arizona. I thought it was too early to celebrate when Schmaltz was lighting it up and Strome hadn’t quite adjusted yet and Perlini was getting benched. Folks were prematurely celebrating the other way then. It was dumb.

It’s still too early. Perlini’s main problem as a pro so fare has been inconsistency and Schmaltz had a season ending injury. At this point, there’s no way Chicago loses the trade. But it’s way too early to tell if Arizona got undressed.

I think Strome will continue to be very productive offensively for Chicago and they’ll never regret this trade. I don’t think Perlini will sustain and I’m not sure he’ll ever end up a valuable NHLer beyond bit parts here and there. Not unlike Duclair.

I’m hopeful that Schmaltz will take the sting out of the deal for Arizona when he’s healthy again. He had such great chemistry with Keller, who’s had a pretty disappointing season outside of his time with Schmaltz. There’s no question that Strome was a poor fit for Tocchet’s system. Schmaltz seemed tailor made. If that continues, along with the Keller chemistry, Chayka will probably not lose any sleep over this.
It goes with saying the same inconsistency was why Schmaltz was traded in the first place. He's talked like only the injury is holding him back but much like Perlini in a current high Schmaltz was gonna come down like the rest of his seasons.

Inconsistent effort and lacking the willingness to shoot has been with him not just only in the nhl but even in college. He may fit better with higher pace of play they want in AZ but it will probably not change.

And people were talking contract talk, I dont imagine he signs anything but a 1 year prove it type deal at this stage.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Why not keep Hino and put Hossa on LTIR? It’s not like Hossa affects the cap.

Because you have to be cap compliant to start the season which throws a wrench in any contract negotiations

The only thing that makes me feel better about this trade as a Coyotes fan is the fact that we have robbed Chicago in the past. Chicago will probably be the winner of this trade in a couple years from now, but Nick Schmaltz is going to be a good player for the Coyotes. Also the rumors about him being traded due to contract negotiation issues was shot down by someone on the Chicago side.

The fact that we have Vinnie Hinostroza and Hammer for practically nothing is enough to make me feel somewhat okay about losing this one so bad. Perlini looks hot right now but we have seen it in the past, he was the easiest piece to give up

You are bragging about getting a much older Dman for a younger D that has been a great 2nd pairing guy and will actually still be playing in 3 seasons. You took Hossa's contract while giving up one of your high prospects in Entwhistle neither one are robbery revist the Hossa thread and everyone was shocked at how little AZ recieved Hinostroza isnt anything special nor is Oesterle.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
This is false, both have been fantastic for Arizona.

Special players indeed. By the way Strome has surpassed Schmaltz best season in Chicago even though he spent a quarter of the season wasted in Arizona.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Special players indeed. By the way Strome has surpassed Schmaltz best season in Chicago even though he spent a quarter of the season wasted in Arizona.

As he should. Chicago plays a slow methodical game. Strome skates in quick sand. He was too slow in Tochetts system, not sure why Perlini didnt thrive.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
This thread has turned weird. Hawks fans should have nothing to dislike about Hinostroza and Yotes fans should have nothing to dislike about Strome. Both always give an honest effort and both fanbases should be glad that these kids are having good seasons.

Perlini had inconsistent effort in Arizona so I could maybe see Arizona fans being a bit apathetic about him. According to some Hawks fans Schmaltz had similar issues (I haven’t seen this in Arizona, not in his amateur days), so same story there. Why is anyone trashing either player?

Schmaltz seemed to fit in well in an unfortunately small sample-size. The Coyotes gambled that he’d fit the system better than Strome and they were right. The Hawks gambled on Strome turning it up with more opportunity, and they were right.

The Coyotes were wrong not to give Strome more opportunity. Even if he’s not the right fit and not truly what they wanted in a top center in Tocchet’s system, they should have given him more opportunity to produce so they could have received better value. Schmaltz looked great and played great with Keller, but the Coyotes didn’t get enough value for Strome.

Then again, the Coyotes are currently holding down a Wild Card spot and one could argue that showcasing Strome should not have been their priority and they were right to just move him if they didn’t like the fit. Especially if they got a player they knew would be a good fit and help out.

It’s too early to say the Coyotes will definitely regret this trade. That said, the Hawks almost certainly will always be thrilled with it.

This thread is needlessly hostile and ridiculously premature.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Chicago wins this trade right now.
Hinostroza with a quick hat trick tonight
Hammer arguably the best player our team. We have both made questionable trades.

Let's agree we both helped one another at this point. Schmaltz being injured makes this trade look so lopsided

Reactions: ORHawksFan

rt

May 13, 2004
Schmaltz has put in inconsistent effort at every level he has played at. For the Gamblers, for the Mission, at UND.
I only caught a handful of UND games, a couple of handfuls of USA games, and a handful of Hawks games. I must’ve caught him on good nights. Because I generally saw the player I see now in Phoenix. It’s interesting when that happens. Sometimes you catch guys on bad nights. Sometimes on good ones.

How the heck did you catch so many games at so many levels? Are you a professional scout, or just a guy lucky enough to have a ton of free time? Either way, I’m jealous. I’d love to watch that much hockey.

Reactions: Reality Czech

rt

May 13, 2004
Within the last year and a half:

:hawks

Connor Murphy
Anthony Duclair
Adam Clendening
Marcus Kruger
Mackenzie Entwistle
Jordan Maletta
Andrew Campbell
Brendan Perlini
Dylan Strome
2019 5th round pick

:coyotes

Niklas Hjaalmarsson
Richard Panik
Vinnie Hinostroza
Jordan Oesterle
Marian Hossa
Nick Schmaltz
2019 3rd round pick
Cut out the career AHLers:

To CHI
Connor Murphy
Anthony Duclair
Marcus Kruger
Mackenzie Entwistle
Brendan Perlini
Dylan Strome
2019 5th round pick

To ARI
Niklas Hjaalmarsson
Richard Panik
Vinnie Hinostroza
Jordan Oesterle
Marian Hossa
Nick Schmaltz
2019 3rd round pick

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

To CHI
Connor Murphy
Anthony Duclair
Marcus Kruger
Mackenzie Entwistle
Brendan Perlini
Dylan Strome
2019 5th round pick

To ARI
Niklas Hjaalmarsson
Richard Panik
Vinnie Hinostroza
Jordan Oesterle
Marian Hossa
Nick Schmaltz
2019 3rd round pick
Cut out Hossa and Duclair as well, as Hossa will never suit up for the Coyotes, and Duclair was taken to purely dump Panik's contract.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

To CHI
Connor Murphy
Anthony Duclair
Marcus Kruger
Mackenzie Entwistle
Brendan Perlini
Dylan Strome
2019 5th round pick

To ARI
Niklas Hjaalmarsson
Richard Panik
Vinnie Hinostroza
Jordan Oesterle
Marian Hossa
Nick Schmaltz
2019 3rd round pick
Looks like Arizona wins to me. Strome could be the best piece but the Hawks didn’t really get anything else significant whereas the Yotes got more quality pieces to more than make up the difference from Strome to Schmaltz, which I believe isn’t much.

rt

May 13, 2004
Cut out Hossa and Duclair as well, as Hossa will never suit up for the Coyotes, and Duclair was taken to purely dump Panik's contract.
And yet Panik has been really effective for Arizona. But yeah, we could ditch Hossa and Duclair who are pretty meaningless.

To CHI
Connor Murphy
Marcus Kruger
Mackenzie Entwistle
Brendan Perlini
Dylan Strome
2019 5th round pick

To ARI
Niklas Hjaalmarsson
Richard Panik
Vinnie Hinostroza
Jordan Oesterle
Nick Schmaltz
2019 3rd round pick

rt

May 13, 2004
Looks like Arizona wins to me. Strome could be the best piece but the Hawks didn’t really get anything else significant whereas the Yotes got more quality pieces to more than make up the difference from Strome to Schmaltz, which I believe isn’t much.
Tough to call it. I think it will always be a tough call.

Hjalmarsson has been so good for us. Strome is killing it for Chicago. Perlini is on a hell of a hot streak, but so is Hinostroza who just had a hat trick tonight. Schmaltz is hurt and Entwiatle could be something. Panik and Oesterle are both important to the Coyotes playoff push.

It’s a tough pile of stuff to gauge.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
And yet Panik has been really effective for Arizona. But yeah, we could ditch Hossa and Duclair who are pretty meaningless.

To CHI
Connor Murphy
Marcus Kruger
Mackenzie Entwistle
Brendan Perlini
Dylan Strome
2019 5th round pick

To ARI
Niklas Hjaalmarsson
Richard Panik
Vinnie Hinostroza
Jordan Oesterle
Nick Schmaltz
2019 3rd round pick
3rd > 5th
Hjalmarsson > Murphy
Strome > Schmaltz
Perlini > Panik
Hinostroza > Kruger
Entwhistle > Oesterle

I'd say it's been fairly even trading overall.

rt

May 13, 2004
3rd > 5th
Hjalmarsson > Murphy
Strome > Schmaltz
Perlini > Panik
Hinostroza > Kruger
Entwhistle > Oesterle

I'd say it's been fairly even trading overall.
I don’t think the Coyotes would trade Panik for Perlini. Nor would they trade Oesterle for Entwistle, IMO. I think for Arizona, Panik+Oesterle > Entwhistle+Perlini.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
No we win, no we win. Just get ready for the next trade between the teams this summer.
Both sides are happy with the deals they've made. Leave it at that.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I don’t think the Coyotes would trade Panik for Perlini. Nor would they trade Oesterle for Entwistle, IMO. I think for Arizona, Panik+Oesterle > Entwhistle+Perlini.

And I wouldn't want Oster or Panik back in Hawks uniform

Oster is a run of the mill 3rd pairing defender and Panik was absolute trash with his effort last year

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Hawks got a 2C with 1C upside. Therefore they win all trades with Arizona over the last 18 months.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
It's funny that Strome has more points that any player on Arizona, even though he scored basically nothing while playing for Arizona, and got off to a very poor start with Chicago.

So, after getting 12 points in his first 34 games, he has 37 points in his last 32 games (a 95 point pace over close to half a season).

Keller has 45 points in 71 games.

Keller's 82 game rate is 51 points, Strome's is 61, including his time with Arizona. With Chicago, his 82 game rate is 77 points, with a steep upward trend.

rt

May 13, 2004
Schmaltz is a winger
He looked great as Keller's center. We tried Galchenyuk there, and it didn't work. Schmaltz centering Keller, really brought Keller out of a slump and Schmaltz caught-fire, too. Keller has cooled off again without Schmaltz. If those two pick up where they left off when Schmaltz is healthy, the Coyotes aren't going to regret this trade.

During the 11/27 - 12/30 span:
Schmaltz: Pts/GP = 0.82
Keller: Pts/GP = 0.88

Outside of that span:
Schmaltz: Pts/GP = 0.48
Keller: Pts/GP = 0.56

Also, the Coyotes were 9th in Power Play Goals during that span, despite the team being 21st overall in PP% right now.

Schmaltz centering Keller made both players explode offensively, and basically fixed the team's PP woes, overall. That said, it was a 17 game sample-size, so it's way too small to extrapolate that brief success into any kind of long-term expectation. However, it's certainly encouraging and reason for Coyotes fans to be hopeful when Schmaltz returns.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
It's funny that Strome has more points that any player on Arizona, even though he scored basically nothing while playing for Arizona, and got off to a very poor start with Chicago.

So, after getting 12 points in his first 34 games, he has 37 points in his last 32 games (a 95 point pace over close to half a season).

Keller has 45 points in 71 games.

Keller's 82 game rate is 51 points, Strome's is 61, including his time with Arizona. With Chicago, his 82 game rate is 77 points, with a steep upward trend.

Otter magic

upload_2019-3-15_13-57-45.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad