Confirmed Trade: [CHI/ARI] Anthony Duclair and Adam Clendening for Richard Panik and Laurent Dauphin

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Panik is such a polarizing player. his situation reminds me a lot of Radim Vrbata before arriving in Arizona. oddly enough, it was Chicago where Vrbata put together his first good season in 05-06 and then followed it up with a pretty mediocre 06-07 and fell out of favor there. middle 20's czech/slovak player that has struggled to find an identity elsewhere in a few previous stops. they're wildly different stylistic players but the correlation is interesting. both players incredibly confidence driven. the hawks are so hamstrung by the top end of their salary structure that inconsistency in their class of players compensated above $2.5 million is debilitating to their team success whereas elsewhere you probably don't put the disappointment of your season at the feet of a 26 year old journeyman because he makes league average middle six money. it feels a bit like Panik was scapegoated with the hawks for a lot of bad puck luck this season. even still, the advanced metrics are the best they've ever been for him. his hitting has been consistent with his totals last season. the only real outlier in his stats from last year is in his shooting percentage and his lack of even strength scoring. everything else looks decent enough. i know that observation will draw a chorus of dissension from hawks fans because of how little impact he's had on the game from the eye test, but he's not a lost cause. it wouldn't shock me at all if he was given some premium icetime in Arizona and finished the season in pretty impressive fashion.

Emery

Jul 18, 2011
Ottawa
So by 25 Clendening has been traded 4 times, signed as a FA 2 times, and claimed off waivers 1 time.

Next Mike Sillinger!

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Panik gives you 15-20 goals, about 4o points. It’s just that last year he hit like a mad man and went to the net more. There was a significant drop off in that this year. That’s why he was traded. Now, maybe in Arizona he will be given a much bigger role offensively and not expected to provide the all around game the Hawks wanted.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS

Poor guy can't even find a home to stay in, and I don't mean an NHL home, I mean an actual home that he can live in lol.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Actually liked Panik when he was with us, and his game is indeed polarizing.

Shame, he's got hands and size, but you just don't see enough of this from him:

CHI wins this with Duke, IMO.

Great job, Stan.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
He's on pace to have more hits this year than he had last year :dunno:

I feel like Panik might just be a whipping boy, which makes sense because he's a 3rd liner playing top-6 minutes. I don't blame Hawks fans for thinking that of him, but I also don't think he's as bad as people here say he is. At least purely on paper, he seems like a really solid player. I actually think Arizona had a very comparable player to Panik that they traded recently: Jamie McGinn. I think that's a really good comparable for Panik's ability and play style.

I honestly don't see that potential in Duclair. I think he ends up a lot closer to Yakupov than he ends up to a star. He's just not a high enough IQ player.
Duclair is on pace for 20 this year.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
He's on pace to have more hits this year than he had last year :dunno:

I feel like Panik might just be a whipping boy, which makes sense because he's a 3rd liner playing top-6 minutes. I don't blame Hawks fans for thinking that of him, but I also don't think he's as bad as people here say he is. At least purely on paper, he seems like a really solid player. I actually think Arizona had a very comparable player to Panik that they traded recently: Jamie McGinn. I think that's a really good comparable for Panik's ability and play style.

I honestly don't see that potential in Duclair. I think he ends up a lot closer to Yakupov than he ends up to a star. He's just not a high enough IQ player.

All of this is accurate.

Panik has been playing well this season, just snake-bit.

But the truth is, he was never worth the money was given, because just as he's snake-bit this season, his performance last season was completely anomalous as far as ish% and his osh% was also kinda high.

Every move the Blackhawks make is in some way cap motivated, and if Duclaire can given them close to what Panik did cheaper, then that's a win in their books. If he can't, they turned an AHL player (Morin)m into a useful player for a season and a half (Panik), into a cheap kid with upside (Duclaire). At worst, at the end of the day, it's a lateral move from the starting point.

That's the Blackhawks depth churn. It's always been this way.

I'd frankly be shocked to see any bottom-6 quality forward stay on this team for longer than a season or 2 moving forward.

Toadie

Mar 24, 2015
Calgary AB
Lets hope this works out for both players. This is Dukes 4 team in 3 years, and just an odd thought he was always with Domi the first year, always even walking into arenas. Now during PR shots the two are never together. There could be some character issues and then there may not. I hope it works out for both teams :)

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Duclair to the Hawks? Shrewd, Mr. Bowman. Very, very shrewd.

Wonder if Duke is Sharp 2.0?

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Panik scored 22/22 last season and played well with Toews. He earned the 2-year $2.8M contract he got. However, he is not having the same success this season and that $2.8M cap hit isn't looking so good any more. The Hawks can't afford another overpriced player. Ergo - trade him for cap relief so they don't have Panik's $2.8M on the books next season.

Duclair has upside. If he does well, resign him for probably not more than what Panik is making. If he doesn't do well, trade his RFA rights for a bucket of pucks - no big deal.

SoCalFan

Jun 21, 2014
McKinney, TX
13 players 25 and under on the team this year. Only 4 last year. I knew they were bringing in youth, but that's more than I thought.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Duclair can be a big get, but Panik isn't bad when he's on his game.

I've seen him dominate shifts. The talent is there.

Unless Duclair hits 30 goals, it's an even trade.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
If Toews and the rest of the Hawks leadership can help steer this kids work ethic in the right direction, I think the Hawks have a pretty damn good 2nd liner here. Which I think that they will. You don't go into that kind of championship environment and be allowed to just pick at ur nards. Q would bury Duclair faster than he gets his shot off..

As for Panik, hes solid too ...the rest is just AHL fodder

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Lets hope this works out for both players. This is Dukes 4 team in 3 years, and just an odd thought he was always with Domi the first year, always even walking into arenas. Now during PR shots the two are never together. There could be some character issues and then there may not. I hope it works out for both teams :)

3rd team.

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
Panik is poor man’s Brandon Saad or a rich man’s Troy brouwer.

Solid two way forward can play in top 6 role if the right mix or in part time role. Probably best usage as a third line guy though. It wasn’t really working in Chicago this year as Saad while a very good player doesn’t have the finishing skills Marian Hossa had.

Duclair isn’t really a right wing though although neither is debrincat? So *shrugs*

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Panik is poor man’s Brandon Saad or a rich man’s Troy brouwer.

Solid two way forward can play in top 6 role if the right mix or in part time role. Probably best usage as a third line guy though. It wasn’t really working in Chicago this year as Saad while a very good player doesn’t have the finishing skills Marian Hossa had.

Duclair isn’t really a right wing though although neither is debrincat? So *shrugs*
Duclair has played RW almost exclusively since he was 17 years old, if not younger (I can't confirm prior to 17).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad