TSN: Cheveldayoff: Playoff Success Not A Given (see mod warning in OP)

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I thought that was a great interview! Credit to McKenzie for asking good questions. Chevy gave pretty interesting, elaborate answers. He seemed to let his guard down a little more than usual. Sure, he maneuvered around a few specifics McKenzie was pushing for. You can't really expect any different.

Still, he tipped his hand a few times, where you could read between the lines as Aavco posted.

A couple more I found interesting:
He was coy on Buff's exact contract status. I agree with Aavco that it sounds closer with Ladd and more preliminary with Buff. But Chevy did talk about a RHD moving over to left. That would suggest we aren't trading Buff immediately, at least. And Buff, Trouba, and Myers will all play top 4 minutes. Maybe Postma gets a shot as 3RHD? It'll be interesting to watch his camp.

I also like how he brought up Helle and Comrie pushing their way in, without being prompted to do so. (It was just on a general goalie question). Given some questionable TNSE moves in the past on GT, it's nice to hear Chevy properly recognize our fantastic goalie prospects as a near-term possibility.

I thought it was a good interview as well. Covered more ground then I expected. I'm actually listening to it a second time. I'm a little concerned about his comments on where negotiations stand with Buff. It sounds to me like we will be well into the season before the Buff situation is resolved one way or another.

I liked that he put to rest, that the Jets would spend to the cap as necessary. "Commitment from ownership and finances aren't an issue". More than anything I want this team to be willing to pay to keep its talent.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
I liked that he put to rest, that the Jets would spend to the cap as necessary. "Commitment from ownership and finances aren't an issue". More than anything I want this team to be willing to pay to keep its talent.

Totally. That jumped out at me, too.

I was never comfortable with the Jets remaining a budget team, given the ticket prices and lucrative fan base in this city. It's pretty well established that the Jets will be profitable for a long time. We're a small market, but we're crazy dedicated fans that spend a lot of money.

I was happy to hear Chevy address this head on, and assure us that spending to the cap would not be a problem. All the conversations around here discussing our near-term budget troubles (especially if we hold on to Buff) become a lot scarier if we remain a budget team.

I liked this quote:
"Math has a way of sneaking up on you."

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I was never comfortable with the Jets remaining a budget team, given the ticket prices and lucrative fan base in this city. It's pretty well established that the Jets will be profitable for a long time. We're a small market, but we're crazy dedicated fans that spend a lot of money.

I was happy to hear Chevy address this head on, and assure us that spending to the cap would not be a problem. All the conversations around here discussing our near-term budget troubles (especially if we hold on to Buff) become a lot scarier if we remain a budget team.

I liked this quote:

That quote is at the root of why Chevy has a challenge to negotiate with Ladd and Buff. They want to get the market rate, but Chevy knows that he has to consider the overlaps with other players that will want long term deals. I think he also alluded to preliminary discussions with upcoming RFAs (Trouba, Scheifele and Lowry). What they do with Buff and Ladd will also depend on whether any or all of the RFAs are looking at bridge deals.

I was never really worried that the Jets wouldn't be able to afford to pay for a contender, which now means being close to the cap. I can understand them keeping an "internal cap" when they had a mediocre team and were building a contender.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
That quote is at the root of why Chevy has a challenge to negotiate with Ladd and Buff. They want to get the market rate, but Chevy knows that he has to consider the overlaps with other players that will want long term deals. I think he also alluded to preliminary discussions with upcoming RFAs (Trouba, Scheifele and Lowry). What they do with Buff and Ladd will also depend on whether any or all of the RFAs are looking at bridge deals.

I recall that from the interview as well. I'd have to go back and watch to be sure, but it seemed to me like Chevy is looking for a combination of some bridge deals, and some longer term signings. If I were to guess, I'd say Trouba is the only sure bet for a long term signing of the three.

I was never really worried that the Jets wouldn't be able to afford to pay for a contender, which now means being close to the cap. I can understand them keeping an "internal cap" when they had a mediocre team and were building a contender.

Agreed. I think Chevy played his cards right. He left enough cap space to (mostly) keep the team together as we're approaching contender status through D&D. Reaching the cap too early handicaps your future contracts, and leaves you no room to maneuver.

But I wasn't as convinced as you that we'd spend to the cap when necessary. It was nice to hear Chevy confirm that in such a straight forward manner.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
That kinda reminds of how defensive Chevy got last summer when there was some criticism about him doing nothing with free agents, and he piped in about how he signed Stuart for four more years, like it was some kind of achievement or something.

If you'll recall correctly, his big signing last offseason was Perreault.

What you're alluding to was actually when someone was giving him the gears for not adding at the deadline. And say what you will about his play on the second pairing--which the team is seemingly trying to avoid by moving a top-4 RHD to the left--but I bet you at least 15 teams would try to make room for Stuart and his contract today. His brand of hockey has its fans in the front offices of the league so even if he's overpaid by $1-1.5m for what he brings on the ice, that's not a negative value contract.

If I were to guess, I'd say Trouba is the only sure bet for a long term signing of the three.

Can't we just fast-forward to 2021 so we can spend the next two years moaning about how since Trouba's 30 when his contract's up he's "past his prime" and "going to want too much term" and that his body is about to fall apart and that we had better leave room to sign Luke Martin because we don't want to be the team that has to trade away a young superstar like Zachary Senyshyn because we're in cap trouble?

;)

Last edited:

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Cheveldayoff: Playoff Success Not A Given

Understatement of the year for a team that has guaranteed a roster spot to a straight out of college rookie with 1 NHL game, an AHL prospect with uneven AHL performances and a 19 year old rookie with absolutely no backup in case they don't work out.

Not saying Copp, Armia and Ehlers shouldn't be on the team, far from it, I'd be ecstatic if they can contribute. But to go into the season handing them the spot on a silver platter without any backup or plans for backup is so disappointing (and no Halischuck is not a backup plan).

So frustrating, since there was a cheap 4th line available in the offseason for likely under 3.5 million for 3 players (think Stempniak, Goc, Bergenheim/Kennedy/Sheppard) for 2 year contracts or less. All very tradable players and if need be they can move up the depth chart in case of injuries instead of having to trot out Thorburn on the 2nd like like we did last year at times before we got the depth. That way the rookies would have had to earn their way on the team and if they did it would just push Peluso/Thorburn down the depth chart. In the worst case we could have easily traded one of the spare parts. Chevy better hope that the rookies work out otherwise he is either going to have a sub-par lineup or look like a fool trying to acquire players by giving up assets when he could have had them for free in the off season

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I liked this quote:

Yea never bad to hear it from Chevy although Chipman (got auto corrected to chimpanzee :laugh:) has stated numerous times they would spend to the cap when needed. The issue with the internal budget is less of a factor than how they handle spending mistakes (see Pavs).

Math sneaking up on you is the key. Chevy has to plan for the contingency of Schiefele or Lowry having a big season and what might happen if either one becomes a target (threat of offer sheet). If Jacob stays the coarse Chevy knows he will have to skip the bridge but he needs to have the room on Schief and even perhaps Lowry pending a big jump.

Seems like most posters don't have a problem going short on Buff it's the going long (5, 6, or 7) on Buff that is scary to me. I am guessing TNSE have a similar fear but we shall see.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Understatement of the year for a team that has guaranteed a roster spot to a straight out of college rookie with 1 NHL game, an AHL prospect with uneven AHL performances and a 19 year old rookie with absolutely no backup in case they don't work out.

Not saying Copp, Armia and Ehlers shouldn't be on the team, far from it, I'd be ecstatic if they can contribute. But to go into the season handing them the spot on a silver platter without any backup or plans for backup is so disappointing (and no Halischuck is not a backup plan).

So frustrating, since there was a cheap 4th line available in the offseason for likely under 3.5 million for 3 players (think Stempniak, Goc, Bergenheim/Kennedy/Sheppard) for 2 year contracts or less. All very tradable players and if need be they can move up the depth chart in case of injuries instead of having to trot out Thorburn on the 2nd like like we did last year at times before we got the depth. That way the rookies would have had to earn their way on the team and if they did it would just push Peluso/Thorburn down the depth chart. In the worst case we could have easily traded one of the spare parts. Chevy better hope that the rookies work out otherwise he is either going to have a sub-par lineup or look like a fool trying to acquire players by giving up assets when he could have had them for free in the off season

I think you are looking at it backwards. I doubt very much anyone one of those kids is going into camp thinking he is a lock for a roster spot. Big steps forward can happen when grade A prospects are ready to make the jump. Just look around the league what happens when top young talent starts to blossom in the NHL. That is when teams take big steps forward, but it usually takes a couple years at the NHL level for young players to start making big impacts.

Top prospects taking the next step is the desired course for the vast majority of teams. Older depth players can be your fall back position if things don't work out. There is a ton floating around with likely more as rosters get trimmed at the end of camp.

IMO grade A prospects turning pro help move you forward as a team. Older depth players help you tread water if necessary. For a team that is likely a few years from contending and will need current prospects to be a big part of the future in order to contend Chevy is taking the right course of action. IMO trying to merely stay in place would be an overly conservative move with little long term benefit.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I found the interview very interesting and entertaining. Then I found myself amazed at how interested and entertained I was, given that so little substance actually came out of the discussion.

Chevy is masterful in interviews. He is very calculated and never gets trapped saying something he doesn't want to. If a question is too specific, he immediately generalizes it before answering. Sometimes he will even throw in the 'it's a process' thing just to generalize even more.

By the way, I think those are very good qualities for a GM to have even if it can be maddening for the fans most of the time.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
I think you are looking at it backwards. I doubt very much anyone one of those kids is going into camp thinking he is a lock for a roster spot. Big steps forward can happen when grade A prospects are ready to make the jump. Just look around the league what happens when top young talent starts to blossom in the NHL. That is when teams take big steps forward, but it usually takes a couple years at the NHL level for young players to start making big impacts.

Top prospects taking the next step is the desired course for the vast majority of teams. Older depth players can be your fall back position if things don't work out. There is a ton floating around with likely more as rosters get trimmed at the end of camp.

IMO grade A prospects turning pro help move you forward as a team. Older depth players help you tread water if necessary. For a team that is likely a few years from contending and will need current prospects to be a big part of the future in order to contend Chevy is taking the right course of action. IMO trying to merely stay in place would be an overly conservative move with little long term benefit.

But they are essentially locks based who the Jets have, the alternative is starting Halischuck, Peluso, Thorburn on opening night. I am not saying the guys are not going to give it their all or take it for granted, but what if they just need more time?

Icing a competitive team with good players is not mutually exclusive with playing your grade A prospects in the NHL, atleast not on a team like the Jets which has more than enough empty slots to go around. At the end of the day Jets need to ice 12 forwards. Signing a couple of veteren 4th liners does not take way from giving the prospects a shot. All 3 youngsters could still make the team, even with the veteran 4th liners.

It would be great if all 3 of them make the jump, that's the happy case, but what if they don't? What if they decide that Ehlers is not ready and needs to be sent to the minors or Europe (not entirely inconceivable). What if Armia and/or Copp struggle? Those two haven't done anything so far to be thought of as bonafide NHL'ers, they might be, but it's not like they have lit their respective minor leagues on fire to give more confidence of their success in the NHL. Copp hasn't even played a full length season. If it doesn't work out, guess what, we have Thorburn on the 3rd line & Peluso, Halischuck on the 4th. And godforbid there is an injury or two in the top 6 yikes.

Imagine you live in a country where there is no compulsory car insurance. You bought a brand new sports car and it is supposed to be badass but has questionable reliability being a new model. It may break down half way on your way to work (and millions of dollars are stake contingent on you making your workplace similar to the revenue of the playoffs) but you can buy insurance from the seller which amongst things provides a guarantee of a replacement car within minutes if it breaks down for a very small price. It is perfectly reasonable to buy insurance. Infact it is the prudent thing to do, it doesn't stop you from enjoying your state of the art sports car but makes sure you have something else to fallback on if things don't go according to plan.

I am not saying not play the young guys, on the contrary I want Ehlers, Armia, Copp and even Petan to start on the opening night. Infact I'll be pissed if Ehlers is sent down. I am just disappointed that we didn't bother having any kind of backup plan incase Plan A doesn't go as planned (not an unrealistic scenario), esp when the backup plan was so easy to acquire during the off season

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
But they are essentially locks based who the Jets have, the alternative is starting Halischuck, Peluso, Thorburn on opening night. I am not saying the guys are not going to give it their all or take it for granted, but what if they just need more time?

Icing a competitive team with good players is not mutually exclusive with playing your grade A prospects in the NHL, atleast not on a team like the Jets which has more than enough empty slots to go around. At the end of the day Jets need to ice 12 forwards. Signing a couple of veteren 4th liners does not take way from giving the prospects a shot. All 3 youngsters could still make the team, even with the veteran 4th liners.

It would be great if all 3 of them make the jump, that's the happy case, but what if they don't? What if they decide that Ehlers is not ready and needs to be sent to the minors or Europe (not entirely inconceivable). What if Armia and/or Copp struggle? Those two haven't done anything so far to be thought of as bonafide NHL'ers, they might be, but it's not like they have lit their respective minor leagues on fire to give more confidence of their success in the NHL. Copp hasn't even played a full length season. If it doesn't work out, guess what, we have Thorburn on the 3rd line & Peluso, Halischuck on the 4th. And godforbid there is an injury or two in the top 6 yikes.

Imagine you live in a country where there is no compulsory car insurance. You bought a brand new sports car and it is supposed to be badass but has questionable reliability being a new model. It may break down half way on your way to work (and millions of dollars are stake contingent on you making your workplace similar to the revenue of the playoffs) but you can buy insurance from the seller which amongst things provides a guarantee of a replacement car within minutes if it breaks down for a very small price. It is perfectly reasonable to buy insurance. Infact it is the prudent thing to do, it doesn't stop you from enjoying your state of the art sports car but makes sure you have something else to fallback on if things don't go according to plan.

I am not saying not play the young guys, on the contrary I want Ehlers, Armia, Copp and even Petan to start on the opening night. Infact I'll be pissed if Ehlers is sent down. I am just disappointed that we didn't bother having any kind of backup plan incase Plan A doesn't go as planned (not an unrealistic scenario), esp when the backup plan was so easy to acquire during the off season

The Jets will have determined that these players are ready based on their past body of work and where they are currently at. I'm not sure how you can know one way or the other 100% unless you give them the opportunity to play. Training camp matters a lot less than what some people think. Really we have the young guys going full tilt and the vets easing themselves in, it doesn't paint any kind of picture as to how well a young player will do in the season.

With regards to a backup plan. There are a number of quality FA'S on the market for 4th line positions that will be available to sign during the year if things aren't working out.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Same thing could have been said of Lowry entering last season, or Scheifele and Trouba the season before as rookies?

TNSE have watched these guys for years now and have a good idea what they can do. There is always a risk but it's not like they are throwing 18 year olds to the wolves. Armia is Lowry's age and has played two years pro. Nic has gone back to juniors for two seasons, Copp is a physically and emotionally mature 21 year old. They have taken their time with these guys. Ehlers is the only young guy of the group. Same can be said for Morrissey, he is very talented but has headed back to juniors for two seasons.

TNSE are very patient and they obviously feel it's time for some of these guys. I think the potential reward far outweighs the risk personally.

jetman

May 21, 2015
It's also important to remember, that while we are leaving 1 top 9 position up for grabs, there is at least 3 prospects that are competing for it. (Armia, Ehlers, Petan) There is a decent chance any single one of them aren't quite ready for a top 9 spot in the NHL, but when you have three players all looking close, it become almost a sure thing that at least one of them are.

Fourth line is a different story. Even if Copp isn't ready, we can make due with what we have or get a replacement easily, it isn't like the fourth line can get much worst, there plenty of opportunities to pick up fourth line players off the waiver wire, or make a trade if necessary. I am expecting that if we are in the playoff race Chevy will pick up a rental or two to try and boost our fourth line.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yea never bad to hear it from Chevy although Chipman (got auto corrected to chimpanzee :laugh:) has stated numerous times they would spend to the cap when needed. The issue with the internal budget is less of a factor than how they handle spending mistakes (see Pavs).

Math sneaking up on you is the key. Chevy has to plan for the contingency of Schiefele or Lowry having a big season and what might happen if either one becomes a target (threat of offer sheet). If Jacob stays the coarse Chevy knows he will have to skip the bridge but he needs to have the room on Schief and even perhaps Lowry pending a big jump.

Seems like most posters don't have a problem going short on Buff it's the going long (5, 6, or 7) on Buff that is scary to me. I am guessing TNSE have a similar fear but we shall see.

I found the interview very interesting and entertaining. Then I found myself amazed at how interested and entertained I was, given that so little substance actually came out of the discussion.

Chevy is masterful in interviews. He is very calculated and never gets trapped saying something he doesn't want to. If a question is too specific, he immediately generalizes it before answering. Sometimes he will even throw in the 'it's a process' thing just to generalize even more.

By the way, I think those are very good qualities for a GM to have even if it can be maddening for the fans most of the time.

Have to agree, if a little reluctantly. It sure beats promising 'bold action' and then doing sfa for 2 years.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015

Don't worry, we got it covered. We have:

Matt Fraser:
blogSpan.jpg

Matt Halischuk:
250702000137_799508.jpg

Anthony Peluso:
tdy-100521-gorilla-boy3.grid-4x2.jpg

and we could always bring back Jim Slater:
140c.jpg

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Have to agree, if a little reluctantly. It sure beats promising 'bold action' and then doing sfa for 2 years.

I agree but Mctavish is entertaining and is a good Media clip from a non Edmonton perspective.

He actually was one of the media choices for Jets Head coach back in 2011 as he was coaching in the AHL at the time.

Claude Noel vs Craig Mctavish..... I wonder who would have gave a better post game presser.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
If you'll recall correctly, his big signing last offseason was Perreault.

What you're alluding to was actually when someone was giving him the gears for not adding at the deadline. And say what you will about his play on the second pairing--which the team is seemingly trying to avoid by moving a top-4 RHD to the left--but I bet you at least 15 teams would try to make room for Stuart and his contract today. His brand of hockey has its fans in the front offices of the league so even if he's overpaid by $1-1.5m for what he brings on the ice, that's not a negative value contract.

It's irrelevant if he was talking about FAs or adding, he was still trying to trumpet a stupid move as a notable achievement. As far as Stuart's value goes, those other teams can have him. If they like him so much, the Jets can get something better in a trade.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Better to say and do nothing.....:)

I tease......slightly. D&D is the slow steady......safe route....albeit unflashy.

Conservative route for a conservative type of person. It's all good, it's a process.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

I hear you. I agree that Stemp & Tlusty would be mighty fine signings when you consider guys like Thorburn, Halischuk & Peluso. Unfortunately though, the jets committed to Thorbs last year (who knows why) & to Hali & Peluso as depth earlier in the summer. I think we will also regret that they signed Stafford for that much for 2 years but that's all water under the bridge now.

If they would have known that these quality of UFAs would be available at this time of the season, they might have done differently with all 3 of Staff, Halischuk & Peluso. Then again, they like "their guys", so maybe Stemp & Tlusty never fit the mold.

As for going out & getting a couple more bodies now, that probably would seriously bunch up the lineup & I couldn't in any way see 3 rookies having any chance to make a lineup with those additions.

So .... I'm glad to see that they are giving the rookies a chance to make it, I wish they wouldn't have brought back Hali & Peluso (because they will just be fillers), I wish they wouldn't have committed so much for Staff because I doubt he's worth it, ...

We should be fine out of the gate but as soon as we get a couple injuries, look out (the Thorbs, Hali, Peluso, gong show returns)

Last edited:

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
So frustrating, since there was a cheap 4th line available in the offseason for likely under 3.5 million for 3 players (think Stempniak, Goc, Bergenheim/Kennedy/Sheppard) for 2 year contracts or less. All very tradable players [...]

Not so sure about the bolded, considering the demand for 'free'.

Great point. But I've been reading these boards for some time and it seems the only qualities one actually wants in a GM is massive-current-NHL-roster-player-for-current-NHL-roster-player tradez and sending Ondrej Pavelec to Siberia.

:sarcasm:

Plan A: Youth movement.
Plan B: Chychrun.

I'm willing to bet one of those plans involves a lot more Pavelectricity than the other...

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Better to say and do nothing.....:)

I tease......slightly. D&D is the slow steady......safe route....albeit unflashy.

Conservative route for a conservative type of person. It's all good, it's a process.

There was nothing conservative about the Kane / Bogo trade, which has way more impact on the franchise than several other lesser moves.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
There was nothing conservative about the Kane / Bogo trade, which has way more impact on the franchise than several other lesser moves.

As stated I'm teasing, mostly. Don't get excited, just some fun ribbing

Kane trade was forced and partly made worse by Chevy's mishandling so he gets zero credit in my eyes for that. Bogo part of trade is unclear and we will never know if Sabres forced Chevy into including Bogo or was it done by Chevy.

You might want to give Chevy all the credit in the world for this forced trade and that's your right......but I don't agree. People have to sleep in the bed they made.

We're going off topic, if you want to continue the discussion I suggest we take it to the Chevy thread. The season is about to start, all is good after a long uneventful summer. I'm looking forward to this year and waiting for Ladd/Buff to be resolved via trade or Contract.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I can't quite agree. Trading Kane 2,3 years earler would have been bold. It almost certainly would have brought a better return. As it was Chevy's hand was forced. The inclusion of Bogo was a big surprise at the time. None of us knows how that came about. I suspect that it was related to trading a player who was out for the season. Buffalo needed somebody who could play tomorrow. The path of the negotiation is something we will never know though.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I can't quite agree. Trading Kane 2,3 years earler would have been bold. It almost certainly would have brought a better return. As it was Chevy's hand was forced. The inclusion of Bogo was a big surprise at the time. None of us knows how that came about. I suspect that it was related to trading a player who was out for the season. Buffalo needed somebody who could play tomorrow. The path of the negotiation is something we will never know though.

Agreed, but off topic. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad