Seto had substance abuse issues, no? i feel like i read that many times

Tough animal to deal with

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

He officially put himself into rehab last summer before signing a PTO with the Leafs, but people have said many things around these parts of the boards.

Of all of the things I have read on this board (My favorite was: I just saw Shea Weber and Doug Wilson downtown), this is the only one I have actually heard anything about in person. Out of respect for the site rules I will not elaborate any further.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Is Cheechoo even alive anymore? Setoguchi is out of shape and has been finished in the NHL for years now. I kept having to tell fellow Devils fans on the Devils board this. There were always a couple that wanted him signed every offseason as a "low risk, high reward" signing.

I believe he did have an alcohol issue. Not completely sure, so I don't wanna slander him. But I remember hearing that. He's tried to make a couple comebacks into the league and has failed. Such a shame, since he's probably not any older than 30 by now, if even that? He also looked to be in not very good shape and just didn't produce offense anymore, which is what teams were signing him to do.
The China Sharks folded

My thoughts exactly.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
This reminds me of some of Thornton's wings over the years...

Scott Thornton
Ekman
Cheechoo
Setoguchi
Heatley

Man, Pavs and Hertl better be careful or they may be out of the NHL in a couple years. It's a far drop from Thornton's wing to not.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Okay man, you can mix-and-match as you'd like, but there's no question that they would add depth.

Insofar as you would have extra bodies in the AHL/ECHL, yes they would add "Depth". But if either of these players is anywhere near the NHL, your roster is in trouble.

The last time Cheech played in the AHL he was slow enough to have trouble keeping up to the pace of play. I distinctly remember the Worcester posters noting that he was so slow that d-men who were skating backwards were able to keep up with him moving forward. And that was already like 4 years ago. He was an awful skater at his best and now injuries and time have robbed him of whatever meagre speed he ever had and he is almost certainly unplayable at the NHL level.

Meanwhile Setoguchi played a year for the Jets where his season highlight was flubbing that shootout attempt, then he managed a half-season in the Flames org 2 years ago and then an invite to the Leafs camp that never amounted to anything. You want to take a guy who wasn't even good enough to secure a place on a team that was all but admitting its intention to tank. A team that dressed Michael Grabner for 80 games and got 40 combined games out of Mark Arcobello and Rich Clune. If Setoguchi couldn't break in there, what chance would he have on a roster that has real depth on the wings?

WestCoast

Oct 25, 2006
There is an impressive amount of joking, sarcasm, seriousness, and just clueless going on in this thread, not bad.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This reminds me of some of Thornton's wings over the years...

Scott Thornton
Ekman
Cheechoo
Setoguchi
Heatley

Man, Pavs and Hertl better be careful or they may be out of the NHL in a couple years. It's a far drop from Thornton's wing to not.

The inferior Thornton cousin and Ekman weren't all that good though. Cheechoo grenaded prematurely, as did Setoguchi. Heatley probably did to a point also, but he was probably the most naturally talented of that bunch.

Regardless, I know you were only kidding.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hey let's re-sign Craig Janney and Igor Larionov. Ray Whitney might be available too.

Need a backup goalie next year. Who should it be? Nabby or Irbe? Ed Belfour maybe? Chris Terreri?:sarcasm:

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
He officially put himself into rehab last summer before signing a PTO with the Leafs, but people have said many things around these parts of the boards.

Of all of the things I have read on this board (My favorite was: I just saw Shea Weber and Doug Wilson downtown), this is the only one I have actually heard anything about in person. Out of respect for the site rules I will not elaborate any further.

Totally fair, those details are also meant to remain private. Any sort of substance issues are deep and personal, hope Seto is healthy above all.

This thread reminded me that in 2010, I was in Worcester to see some concerts at DCU Center between Xmas and New Years. Before the shows we went to Woosta Pizza, just around the corner, and Cheech was in there eating alone. I let him finish his food and as he was leaving i shook his hand and said i was a huge sharks fan and that i had met him before 2 years earlier.

Quiet guy, but as his star has faded, so has that memory

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You think he wants to leave his NBC/Comcast gig? He still is younger than all of those other guys and is on the right side of 40 still!
How about Owen Nolan? That guy was a beast! And a great leader. No WAY that guy doesn't make this team better!
Too busy frying up fish and chips at Brittania Arms!:sarcasm:

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
I won't mind Seto on a try out contract. Maybe he can make it back. I don't know at all what happened to him. If he has solved his off ice problems, he should be able to be an NHL player again. Although he wasn't that good in the D zone, so I don't know if he would fit on a 4th line.
Although Deboer has gotten Zubrus to work, so why not Seto?

Cheech can't skate. So no to him.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I won't mind Seto on a try out contract. Maybe he can make it back. I don't know at all what happened to him. If he has solved his off ice problems, he should be able to be an NHL player again. Although he wasn't that good in the D zone, so I don't know if he would fit on a 4th line.
Although Deboer has gotten Zubrus to work, so why not Seto?

Cheech can't skate. So no to him.

Zubrus has always been known for his conditioning. Seto..not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad