Status
Not open for further replies.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Is it just me or is Mcdonald overated ?
Everytime i see him his positioning is way off

overrated? No.

I Think he was drafted to high, but he stills has a great shot at an NHL career. His positioning could use some work I agree. but he has the athleticism and size to get him out of trouble alot-most of the time.
Just my very amateur opinion though. it'd be cool to hear a real scouts take though

lewis94

May 6, 2009
Pretty good series so far against Rimouski. They were terrible tonight though, very lucky to win. Sooo many turnovers at the Rimouski blueline and a lot of dumb plays with the puck in the offensive zone. Just sloppy all over the ice. McDonald bailed them out a number of times, most notably on the Deschenes turnover in the third leading to a breakaway. I would hope Hulton has a chat with his defencemen (and Sprong) about this.

Still though, to be up 3-1 with only one goal from Sprong in the series, you gotta take that. If they can get him going, they might have a chance in round two. Boisbriand beat Val-d'Or tonight to take a 3-1 lead. If they can finish them off, that would be huge for the Islanders as they would avoid Rouyn.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Pretty good series so far against Rimouski. They were terrible tonight though, very lucky to win. Sooo many turnovers at the Rimouski blueline and a lot of dumb plays with the puck in the offensive zone. Just sloppy all over the ice. McDonald bailed them out a number of times, most notably on the Deschenes turnover in the third leading to a breakaway. I would hope Hulton has a chat with his defencemen (and Sprong) about this.

Still though, to be up 3-1 with only one goal from Sprong in the series, you gotta take that. If they can get him going, they might have a chance in round two. Boisbriand beat Val-d'Or tonight to take a 3-1 lead. If they can finish them off, that would be huge for the Islanders as they would avoid Rouyn.

Thats been our issue all year, sloppy defence. If we cant get it together soon next round could be a walk for RN/SHA/SJ who ever we play

wingmanpei

Jul 1, 2006
PEI, Canada
For me it's a very disappointing season given this was the season they had been building for, a 9th overall finish and being eliminated in the second is not what you build for. I am not sure if I will be renewing my season tickets, for me it will depend on what they do in the off season, IMO I think Sonier should be gone as this falls entirely on his shoulders and his shoulders alone.

Yes to start the season we were without Sprong but if losing one player has that much of a negative impact on your team, that suggests you didn't do a good job building depth. I am not saying him not being here shouldn't have had an effect but it shouldn't squander the first half of the season like it did.

The other was the trades made at the trading period. At the time it was, and it still is, my opinion is the moves he made were to save his job. The trades were not enough to make us a contending team and did absolutely nothing for the future, just enough to try and win a playoff round or two.....exactly like Savard used to do. Mind you I thought they were too far behind the eight ball at the trade period to catch up to the other teams, but again it goes back to not having the depth going into the season.

It will be interesting to see if Sonier takes the responsibility for this season or does he offer excuses like he was doing earlier in the season. It will also be interesting to see what the ownership does and whether they go back with Sonier.

Either way, very disappointing in not only the season but seeing how much went back to being the way it was in the Savard days. If the ownership goes back with Sonier that tells me they were satisfied with the job he did and the end result, which indicates to me that very little has changed since they took over.

Last edited:

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
Is it just me or is Mcdonald overated ?
Everytime i see him his positioning is way off

BUMP ^

they , the team, underperformed
and was not the time (at least not at this point of the season) to tell sprong to worry about his defensive play...

...kaboom...

ItsSomerTime

May 7, 2013
Cornwall, PE, Canada
For me it's a very disappointing season given this was the season they had been building for, a 9th overall finish and being eliminated in the second is not what you build for. I am not sure if I will be renewing my season tickets, for me it will depend on what they do in the off season, IMO I think Sonier should be gone as this falls entirely on his shoulders and his shoulders alone.

Yes to start the season we were without Sprong but if losing one player has that much of a negative impact on your team, that suggests you didn't do a good job building depth. I am not saying him not being here shouldn't have had an effect but it shouldn't squander the first half of the season like it did.

The other was the trades made at the trading period. At the time it was, and it still is, my opinion is the moves he made were to save his job. The trades were not enough to make us a contending team and did absolutely nothing for the future, just enough to try and win a playoff round or two.....exactly like Savard used to do. Mind you I thought they were too far behind the eight ball at the trade period to catch up to the other teams, but again it goes back to not having the depth going into the season.

It will be interesting to see if Sonier takes the responsibility for this season or does he offer excuses like he was doing earlier in the season. It will also be interesting to see what the ownership does and whether they go back with Sonier.

Either way, very disappointing in not only the season but seeing how much went back to being the way it was in the Savard days. If the ownership goes back with Sonier that tells me they were satisfied with the job he did and the end result, which indicates to me that very little has changed since they took over.

Yeah, hard not to find fault with Sonier. I think it all goes back to when he traded all those 1st round picks in his 2nd year. 5 first round picks = 1 season of Ross Johnston, 1 Season of MacKinnon, 2 seasons of Cooper, and Will Thompson for 3-4 seasons.

Will Thompson is not a very good Defenseman. Johnston and MacKinnon are gone, Cooper has been a disappointment. That was just really poor asset management.

Interested to see the direction they take this off season.

qmjhlisles

Apr 8, 2014
Montague, PEI Canada
They will be in rebuild again I'm fine with that I had 2 fun seasons of watching them be competitive. I know we all wanted a winner but I will renew again. I think Sonier gets fired.

wingmanpei

Jul 1, 2006
PEI, Canada
It will be interesting to see how Hulton does as GM, starting at the draft and hopefully he takes this team in the right direction. I'm usually not a fan of one person wearing both coach and GM hats at this level unless the team has good assistants on and off the bench so that the GM end of things can be done properly. I hope giving him the GM title was done solely out of merit and not because of budget reasons because in 3 years time the team can ill-afford to be in this position again.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Hopefully Hutton can bring in more american kids than sonier seeing as his background is USHL. Also i would think he brings in his own assistants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad