Charlottetown Islanders: Official 2015-2016 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

qmjhlisles

Apr 8, 2014
Montague, PEI Canada
Still no coach this is turning out to be he offseason from hell. Now one of our American prospects in Frank Sullivam who we wasted a fourth pick in has announced he's playing in the USHL. I have said this from day one. I wasn't a huge fan of Dwyer but felt they couldn't replace him with a better option and I still say that. Hope I'm wrong. This organization is feeling more andore like its run by the Savards again.

qmjhlisles

Apr 8, 2014
Montague, PEI Canada
Like most fans I don't ask for a lot but just some communication from our owners and GM. Last year was Excellent in terms of letting the fans know what was going on this year it's been real quiet.

wingmanpei

Jul 1, 2006
PEI, Canada
How is it an off-season from hell? I don't understand the big deal that people are making out of not having a coach yet....it is only June and the last I checked there are no games played in June.

Not surprised about Sullivan especially where Sonier said himself that Sullivan was interested in NCAA....not out of the ordinary for an American player.

What is there for the team to say....it's the off-season. What kind of announcements are you looking for? They have already said they are continuing the process for hiring a coach, do people honestly expect them to come out and say who they have talked to or who they are looking at? It's the off-season where there isn't alot going on news-wise and that goes for any team and not just the Islanders.

ItsSomerTime

May 7, 2013
Cornwall, PE, Canada
Still no coach this is turning out to be he offseason from hell. Now one of our American prospects in Frank Sullivam who we wasted a fourth pick in has announced he's playing in the USHL. I have said this from day one. I wasn't a huge fan of Dwyer but felt they couldn't replace him with a better option and I still say that. Hope I'm wrong. This organization is feeling more andore like its run by the Savards again.

How is it a season from hell? You are ridiculous man.

Looking for a coach and a 4th round pick not panning out makes it an off season from hell?

ItsSomerTime

May 7, 2013
Cornwall, PE, Canada
How is it an off-season from hell? I don't understand the big deal that people are making out of not having a coach yet....it is only June and the last I checked there are no games played in June.

Not surprised about Sullivan especially where Sonier said himself that Sullivan was interested in NCAA....not out of the ordinary for an American player.

What is there for the team to say....it's the off-season. What kind of announcements are you looking for? They have already said they are continuing the process for hiring a coach, do people honestly expect them to come out and say who they have talked to or who they are looking at? It's the off-season where there isn't alot going on news-wise and that goes for any team and not just the Islanders.

Islanders fans are actually the worst. All I hear at the rink is complaining. Some people are never satisfied.

nolman29

Oct 20, 2009
Charlottetown, PE
It could be good news that Grant is taking his time to find a new coach, rather than rushing into things and hiring first guy that applies.

He wants to find the right guy for the job, not the guy that wants it.

wingmanpei

Jul 1, 2006
PEI, Canada
Sounds like he has lots of experience, including world junior and NHL. Don't know alot about him but am looking forward to see how he does. Hopefully it goes well for him and he can get the most out of this team.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Led Tri City (USHL) to the playoffs this year after finishing 2nd in the regular season. Was named 2015 General Manager of the year in the USHL

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
Coincidence that he has a connection with Pittsburgh Penguins :sarcasm:
Number 1 prospect for Pittsburgh in this years draft :sarcasm:
:handclap:

qmjhlisles

Apr 8, 2014
Montague, PEI Canada
Samuel Guilbault deal to Shawinigam for a 5 and a 6 Sonier is getting close to being as bad of a GM as what Junior was. Besides a few good deals he has made a lot of ********* deals as well.

wingmanpei

Jul 1, 2006
PEI, Canada
After seeing a couple of pre-season games here is a guess of the lineup for the first part of the season.....at least my guess for now

Goulet - Chalpik - Sprong
Cooper - Rydstrom - Kielly
Getson - Balmas - Kennedy
Boudrias - Gervais - O'Brien

Spares: Chaddock, Carter

Henley - Deschenes
Thompson - Weber
Smith - McQuaid

Spares: Comeau, Sangster

McDonald - MacCallum

For the new players I have been impressed with Gervais and Boudrias at forward. I can't see Boudrias not be here and would like to see Gervais stick as well and let him get his feet wet on the 4th line. A new player that has impressed me on the blueline is Joseph, would like to see him stick as well but I think he would be better off getting lots of ice time in Midget rather than limited ice time here.

In net I can see MacCallum start the year with the Islanders and Welsh being sent back to Midget or Jr A. I am thinking if MacDonald is with team Canada at Xmas time they might want to have MacCallum be the starter then rather than throw Welsh into that kind of situation. But after the World Juniors I am thinking they may move MacCallum to make room for Welsh to have him develop at this level behind MacDonald.

Grapehead

May 21, 2014
Samuel Guilbault deal to Shawinigam for a 5 and a 6 Sonier is getting close to being as bad of a GM as what Junior was. Besides a few good deals he has made a lot of ********* deals as well.

So trading a kid who was playing on the 4th line, if dressed at all, is a ****** move? I liked the kid, he had a lot of effort in his game, but at the end of the day Grant saw no room for Sam on the roster and traded him for two draft picks.

Junior would've traded Sprong at Christmas last year for a 20 year old, and then traded Chlapik and Balmas for an extra 1st round pick last draft. Comparing him to Sonier is foolish.

ItsSomerTime

May 7, 2013
Cornwall, PE, Canada
So trading a kid who was playing on the 4th line, if dressed at all, is a ****** move? I liked the kid, he had a lot of effort in his game, but at the end of the day Grant saw no room for Sam on the roster and traded him for two draft picks.

Junior would've traded Sprong at Christmas last year for a 20 year old, and then traded Chlapik and Balmas for an extra 1st round pick last draft. Comparing him to Sonier is foolish.

Agreed. I am a bit disappointed with Sonier's asset management last season. Mostly the four 1st's he used on Cooper and two 20's in Johnston and Mackinnon, but he is miles ahead of the Savard days. Grant seems to have a plan and is sticking to it. Savard was just all over the board .

Samuel Guilbault being traded for such a low return is a head scratcher for sure. It seemed like he should at least fetch a 3rd or a 2nd if he was going to be moved for picks. I really liked his game last season. Looked better than out other two 16's. I would rather see him on the team than O'Brien and just roll with two 20's.

Man it would be nice to have a 1st or two back from last offseason to trade for an upgrade on O'Brien as a 20. Last season seemed to be pissy that we kept Cobbold as a 20. To me he is much better than O'Brien.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
I believe Charlottetown has build themselves quite the team, may still have the odd tweak here and there by the trade dead line. And this is coming from Ontario, some of the talk around here is about Charlottetown Islanders, I think you the fans are in for a treat this year. I am from the London region and we have seen many great seasons from our beloved Knights, but your team do resemble them. Go out and support your team this year and the next two after that, it's look very promising. If David Henly is likes his older brothers, the third years of their QMJHL careers was their leaderships coming out year, don't be surprise if you see a more mature Henly and with stronger leadership role from him.

tomahawk

Jun 11, 2006
Islanders wrap up the pre-season with a perfect 5-0-0-0 record. I know it doesn't mean anything but still nice to see.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Islanders wrap up the pre-season with a perfect 5-0-0-0 record. I know it doesn't mean anything but still nice to see.

They are the real deal this year ! - The Islanders have arrived this year, they are back on the Isle again, enjoy the season.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Anyone has any comment on who may be the top two teams this year? - I could be wrong, but I believe it's going to be between Val d'Or and Charlottetown at the end of this year for the President Cup. Of course the game is on the ice and there are lot of games to play, and anything can happen.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Anyone has any comment on who may be the top two teams this year? - I could be wrong, but I believe it's going to be between Val d'Or and Charlottetown at the end of this year for the President Cup. Of course the game is on the ice and there are lot of games to play, and anything can happen.

Most people believe some combination of Cape Breton, Shawinigan, Saint John and Val d'Or from what I've seen.

Charlottetowns biggest weakness is their defense is very average, they do have perhaps the best goalie in the CHL though, and also their forward depth drops off quite a lot after Sprong/Goulet/Chlapik/Kielly.

Last edited:

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Most people believe some combination of Cape Breton, Shawinigan, Saint John and Val d'Or from what I've seen.

Charlottetowns biggest weakness is their defense is very average, they do have perhaps the best goalie in the CHL though, and also their forward depth drops off quite a lot after Sprong/Goulet/Chlapik/Kielly.

You know you could be very well right, although I believe Saint John is a big team but very young and inexperienced, Shawinigan, Moncton and Cape Breton even Rouyn Huskies can surprise a lot of peoples this year. But I would place my bet on Val d'Or and Charlottetown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad