Celebrity Death: Charlie Watts 80

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
RIP to one of the more underrated drummers in rock

always loved this story about watts

Bill German, who started the Beggars Banquet fanzine in 1978 when he was still at high school in Brooklyn, describes a meeting held in Amsterdam to discuss whether the Stones should break up or carry on. At one point, Jagger referred to Charlie Watts as "my drummer".
Writes German: "[Jagger said] something like: 'None of this should matter to you because you're only my drummer.'
"[Watts] kept it bottled inside until he got back to his hotel room. He then clicked off his TV, put on his shoes, walked down the hall and knocked on Mick's door. When the lead singer of the Rolling Stones opened it, his drummer clocked him on the jaw. Charlie then turned round and calmly walked away.
"Keith [Richards] saw Charlie in the hallway and asked him where he was coming from. The laconic Charlie answered: 'I've just punched Mick Jagger in the face' - and kept walking."

https://www.theweek.co.uk/people/42043/day-charlie-watts-punched-mick-jagger-face

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Sad news. I feel fortunate that I’ve seen the Stones play live three times. Always an outstanding rock and roll show.One of my favourite bands in my youths and still today. You always know that a day like today is inevitable as we all age but it still hurts (and like most others I would have placed bets that it was gonna be Keef or Mick first from drugs or STDs). The backbone of the Stones sound, they will continue with another drummer but Charlie will not be replaced.

RIP cw.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Sad news. I feel fortunate that I’ve seen the Stones play live three times. Always an outstanding rock and roll show.One of my favourite bands in my youths and still today. You always know that a day like today is inevitable as we all age but it still hurts (and like most others I would have placed bets that it was gonna be Keef or Mick first from drugs or STDs). The backbone of the Stones sound, they will continue with another drummer but Charlie will not be replaced.

RIP cw.
I saw them in the 90s during what was jokingly called the Steel Wheelchair tour and they continued to play until this year which is crazy.

Reactions: brentashton

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Absolute legend.

Saw the Stones twice in Edmonton in the 1990’s. Charlie received by far the biggest ovation from the crowd each time, with both time leading to the capacity crowd chanting “Charlie, Charlie, Charlie” for extended periods.

He was truly “cool” personified.

Reactions: brentashton

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Damn, this is really sad news. Charlie was probably my favourite rock drummer. He was never tried to be flashy or flamboyant onstage, he just did his job extremely well. The spotlight was always going to be on Mick and Keith, but Charlie was the Stones backbone.

MightySelanne8

Mar 10, 2014
Helsinki
Damn, this feels bad even if he lived a long, and surely a memorable life. A lot of old rock bands are still on my playlist almost daily; Stones, CCR, Motörhead, GnR, Pink Floyd, Queen etc..

Godspeed Mr. Watts, and thank you for the great, great music that you and the band provided us through the decades. It will live on, long after we are all gone.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I'm not even a fan but there are some things that should never change. One of them is the Stones. Time stinks.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
And I won't forget to put roses on your grave...

Rest in peace to a true rock icon. He was always the stabilizing force that gave Mick Jagger the freedom to just go psycho on stage

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
Charlie Watts probably has claim to being the most steady, enduring presence in the last 60 years of music history. He was the one constant in the World’s Greatest Rock n’ Roll Band through all those years of personnel changes, drugs, spats, and other chaos.

I’ve been a huge Stones fan since my freshman year in college. First time I saw them live was the following year, in 1999 (March 7 in DC). I had waited overnight for tickets and somehow ended up with nosebleeds, but was still incredibly excited for what would be my first and (I thought) would be my last chance to see them live.

But they just kept on going, and I saw them at least a dozen more times. Front row at FedEx Field (my luck scoring tickets improved)…back to back nights at the Hollywood Bowl…a solo Thanksgiving-eve trek in terrible traffic to Dodger Stadium…an excellent show in Raleigh with my mom and stepfather…my first trip to Europe, just to see them play in their hometown at London Stadium…and finally back in DC on 7/3/19 - the 50th anniversary of Brian Jones’ passing.

Every time they took the final bow, I always tried to take it all in, almost certain it would be “the last time” for me. But somehow I’m still in shock that the day is finally here. And while it sounds like Mick, Keith and Ronnie will go on, at least to fulfill their current obligations, it really is the end of an era. RIP to the Wembley Whammer. Thanks for all the tunes!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad