Post-Game Talk: Chaos

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Canucks lost. The Oilers are now 12 points behind with 6 less games. If they win say 4 out of 6 extra games, they will be only 4 points behind, with some 20 games remaining. I guess the possibility of winning the division no longer looks a mere phantasy.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Canucks lost. The Oilers are now 12 points behind with 6 less games. If they win say 4 out of 6 extra games, they will be only 4 points behind, with some 20 games remaining. I guess the possibility of winning the division no longer looks a mere phantasy.

I feel like this is a great opportunity for Holland to make a move or two, giving us the ammo needed to go on another run. As is with the current roster, I don’t believe we can catch Vancouver unless if they undergo a major collapse…I guess stranger things have happened.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I feel like this is a great opportunity for Holland to make a move or two, giving us the ammo needed to go on another run. As is with the current roster, I don’t believe we can catch Vancouver unless if they undergo a major collapse…I guess stranger things have happened.
They dropped the last four. I don't think they are as good as they seemed. They went on a tear to start the year in an almost mirror fashion to the Oilers' early struggles. They are 6-3-1 team over the season, but probably more like a 5-4-1 if it was not for the hot start.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
They dropped the last four. I don't think they are as good as they seemed. They went on a tear to start the year in an almost mirror fashion to the Oilers' early struggles. They are 6-3-1 team over the season, but probably more like a 5-4-1 if it was not for the hot start.

They’re definitely fading a fair bit. I just don’t think our defense and goaltending is solid enough to catch them at the moment. But who knows. We did go on a tear this season and have shown to be Jekyl and Hyde.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It certainly does look doable but the team just isnt playing well right now.
Their make up games are coming in short order. They play their next 6 games in a span of 10 days.
Thats a crazy bad schedule.
For them to win 4 of 6 with that schedule and factoring in that their game just isnt very good right now doesnt create a lot of room for optimism IMO.

Reactions: Stoneman89

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Instead of using Cult of hockey. We outplayed, out chanced, out everything Boston except Skinner.
Why would you use Publically available Shot location data and machine gathered events with only a bit of added context to the shots instead of the added context with actual eyes on the game and considerations of danger, that Cult of Hockey uses? I'd trust Cult over mere shot location any day in a one game sample. You can trust shot location over a large sample size though. One game samples? Nah.

Ben Scrivens watched the game last night and gave Boston the edge in quality chances too by the way.

Last edited:

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
It certainly does look doable but the team just isnt playing well right now.
Their make up games are coming in short order. They play their next 6 games in a span of 10 days.
Thats a crazy bad schedule.
For them to win 4 of 6 with that schedule and factoring in that their game just isnt very good right now doesnt create a lot of room for optimism IMO.
Not really. They have two back to back sets in the next 10 days, but they will be idle for 3 days before the 2nd set. It sounds worse than it is.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He figured out how to make East West saves - by cheating off the post.

Now teams have figured out that he's cheating off the short side post and are just eating him alive high short side.

Just ask that sniper Bjugstad that dinged him there twice.
Bjugstad dinged him FAR SIDE on his 2nd goal. And his 1st goal banked off Skinner's mask, hardly a short side goal. You sure about your short side theory?

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Yup lets be happy winning in the regular season just like the end of last season. Then go out in the 2nd round again and just be happy cause we won 16 in a row this year.

That type of mentality is what will never get Mcdavid a cup here. Enjoy folks
No idea what tomorrow will bring, yet alone the playoffs. Enjoy the ride, it’s fun, at times a bit bumpy, but usually entertaining.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Reading over the comments since last night (my time)... I conclude that at least 75% of you are insane.

For f***'s sakes, the team has lost three of the past 24 games. (I'm guessing that's better than the Dynasty Oilers ever did in a 24-game stretch.) The club is in an inconsistent patch since the All Star break, but has lost only 3 of 8 in this time. Yes, Skinner had dipped in play (for five games) since the break... and so did every other goalie in history who won Vezinas / Cups, over five-game stretches. McDavid is afraid to shoot but will probably win another scoring title. The team defense since Knoblach is vastly improved. Bouchard is an emerging star. The club is going to make the playoffs easily barring a massive collapse.

The team just tied the best NHL club for the past three years in a thrilling game (with some suspect D and goaltending on both sides).

It's a good time to be an Oilers' fan. Maybe try enjoying the ride a bit.
True. And Well Said. What you bring is perspective. What you are arguing against is emotional reactivity.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Not really. They have two back to back sets in the next 10 days, but they will be idle for 3 days before the 2nd set. It sounds worse than it is.
February is really not that bad, but it looks worse than it is due to the lax January. March is when things start to get hairy.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yup lets be happy winning in the regular season just like the end of last season. Then go out in the 2nd round again and just be happy cause we won 16 in a row this year.

That type of mentality is what will never get Mcdavid a cup here. Enjoy folks
Fan mentality isn't going to have the type of effect on the team winning a cup that you seem to think.

Nobody was happy to lose in the 2nd round last year either.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
February is really not that bad, but it looks worse than it is due to the lax January. March is when things start to get hairy.
March isn't really ridiculous either. We have 3 back to backs, but only 1 of the teams in those 6 games is a playoff team right now. We do have 2 weeks with 4 games as well, so I guess that's busy. Overall, the schedule in terms of travel is a bit heavier, but there are a lot of non-playoff teams in there too. We really only have 5 games against strong teams, the rest are against teams that are out of it and in some cases have probably sold off a lot of depth by that point, so its easier to rest guys if they do get a little banged up.

Seattle
Pittsburgh X 2
Boston
Columbus
Buffalo X2
Washington
Colorado
Montreal
Toronto
Ottawa
Winnipeg
Los Angeles

Anaheim

April is going to be interesting though. Colorado twice, Vancouver, Dallas, Vegas, and only 3 games against bottom feeders (Arizona X2 and San Jose).

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Bjugstad dinged him FAR SIDE on his 2nd goal. And his 1st goal banked off Skinner's mask, hardly a short side goal. You sure about your short side theory?

Yeah, that guy has a hardon for Skinner.
He's not objective with his criticism. His hot takes don't match reality.
I think we can all agree he hasn't played as well after the break as he did during the streak but that would have been hard to sustain.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Why would you use Publically available Shot location data and machine gathered events with only a bit of added context to the shots instead of the added context with actual eyes on the game and considerations of danger, that Cult of Hockey uses? I'd trust Cult over mere shot location any day in a one game sample. You can trust shot location over a large sample size though. One game samples? Nah.

Ben Scrivens watched the game last night and gave Boston the edge in quality chances too by the way.
Ben Scrivens who has an axe to grind with Oilers any time.

For instance this:

Why would you prefer observed bias of "actual eyes" What gets ranked as HDSC is still inobjective and fraught with variables that are not properly quantified. The Oilers had tons of quality chances in the Boston and were storming the fort.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Ben Scrivens who has an axe to grind with Oilers any time.

For instance this:

Why would you prefer observed bias of "actual eyes" What gets ranked as HDSC is still inobjective and fraught with variables that are not properly quantified. The Oilers had tons of quality chances in the Boston and were storming the fort.

Axe to grind any time and an example used from nearly 10 years ago? He’s just a guest analyst today and a fan, I’ve listened to his Oil Stream appearances a couple times now, no bias apparent, just an attempt at analyzing the game as he sees it.

Yeh unless you are sitting there with pen and paper marking every single chance with every single breakdown it can still have some bias. But I trust a former player and NHL goalies read of defensive breakdowns over many people who can’t even read basic defensive breakdowns or acknowledge them.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Axe to grind any time and an example used from nearly 10 years ago? He’s just a guest analyst today and a fan, I’ve listened to his Oil Stream appearances a couple times now, no bias apparent, just an attempt at analyzing the game as he sees it.

Yeh unless you are sitting there with pen and paper marking every single chance with every single breakdown it can still have some bias. But I trust a former player and NHL goalies read of defensive breakdowns over many people who can’t even read basic defensive breakdowns or acknowledge them.
Ben Scrivens is a great analyst? This is the first time I've heard this.

The Oilers outplayed, outshot Boston in the game, had far more chances and High quality chances. You'll find one person that goes with the opposite view and go with that.

The Bruins own coach felt that the Oilers were outplaying his Bruins.

Citation in anycase for the Scrivens comments.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, that guy has a hardon for Skinner.
He's not objective with his criticism. His hot takes don't match reality.
I think we can all agree he hasn't played as well after the break as he did during the streak but that would have been hard to sustain.

Yeh not objective with criticism. Becoming a theme around here. Like when a goalie gets blamed for a perfect cross ice pass through a forest of sticks while on the PK exposing an empty net tap in, and that’s somehow Skinners fault, you know people have lost the plot. I’m not opposed to Skinner criticism but atleast do it with some objectiveness.

Reactions: HockeyGuy1964

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad