Changes coming to the CHL next year

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
That's correct 3 overagers plus you could have an overage goalie but he wouldn't count has one
They were talking about this on the Owen Sound broadcast the other night. Will change the dynamic of the league for sure - now OA goalies will not be cut to make room for 3 skating OA's. If you do not have an OA goalie then you can only have 3 OA's. Downfall is 1 less younger player does not make the team with 1 less spot on the roster. Also tougher for younger goalies to get playing time. Still have not heard anything from the league but it sounds like this is going to happen.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
This is such a bad idea for so many reasons. The main one being young goalie development. I'll use the Gens as an example:

Next year year Kyle Keyser will be the starter, but if the new OA rule comes in then the Gens will want whoever is currently ready to win to be the backup because the Gens will be a good team next year, which would be Cole Ceci ('98). So instead of the backup reps going to Mario Peccia ('99) or Nathan Torchia ('00), they'd go to a 98 because there's no penalty to having an OA as your backup now. Then the following year the Gens would need to have Peccia or Torchia now be their starter, although neither were even in the league the year before. There's no way that's good for goalie development. The CHL should want the backups to be young goalies and then they become the starters and it's cyclical like that, whereas this rule would go completely to the contrary of that thought process, you're giving more reps to older goalies who are too old to play for the WJ team and the young goalies who you want to be the future of the WJ team, are now no longer even getting the reps.

Reactions: the dog

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Kyle Keyser is a decent goalie, but he is still a quitter on his former teammates and fans.

Reactions: MJ5

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
This is such a bad idea for so many reasons. The main one being young goalie development. I'll use the Gens as an example:

Next year year Kyle Keyser will be the starter, but if the new OA rule comes in then the Gens will want whoever is currently ready to win to be the backup because the Gens will be a good team next year, which would be Cole Ceci ('98). So instead of the backup reps going to Mario Peccia ('99) or Nathan Torchia ('00), they'd go to a 98 because there's no penalty to having an OA as your backup now. Then the following year the Gens would need to have Peccia or Torchia now be their starter, although neither were even in the league the year before. There's no way that's good for goalie development. The CHL should want the backups to be young goalies and then they become the starters and it's cyclical like that, whereas this rule would go completely to the contrary of that thought process, you're giving more reps to older goalies who are too old to play for the WJ team and the young goalies who you want to be the future of the WJ team, are now no longer even getting the reps.

I don’t agree.

What I see happening is a goalie will be drafted at 16. He will play two years at tier II where he can play a lot more. Then at 18 he can come up and be a backup for a year or two and be the starter at 19 or 20. I think that may be a better development model. It is tough for North American goalies because not many are ready to be professionals at 20 years old. Maybe in the ECHL but the AHL is a tough place for a 20 year old. At least this way, they will get that extra year of development.

If you look at Ottawa’s situation, we had Lazarev and Lafreniere exiting the season. Theoretically, we could have kept both with the understanding Lafreniere would get his opportunity as an OA. Cedric Andree gets one more year in tier II instead of scarce starts this season.

I think it is a win-win situation. IT allows teams to develop their goalies more gradually.

Reactions: ZinErie

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I don’t agree.

What I see happening is a goalie will be drafted at 16. He will play two years at tier II where he can play a lot more. Then at 18 he can come up and be a backup for a year or two and be the starter at 19 or 20. I think that may be a better development model. It is tough for North American goalies because not many are ready to be professionals at 20 years old. Maybe in the ECHL but the AHL is a tough place for a 20 year old. At least this way, they will get that extra year of development.

If you look at Ottawa’s situation, we had Lazarev and Lafreniere exiting the season. Theoretically, we could have kept both with the understanding Lafreniere would get his opportunity as an OA. Cedric Andree gets one more year in tier II instead of scarce starts this season.

I think it is a win-win situation. IT allows teams to develop their goalies more gradually.

From what I've seen, being an OJHL starter doesn't get goalies ready for the OHL. Hunter Jones was really good in the OJHL last year (.917 save % as a true rookie), he's been awful in the OHL this year. Christian Purboo is a .921 save % guy in the OJHL, gets called up to NB and he isn't close to an OHL goalie. The difference between the OJHL and OHL is not even close and the jump from one to the other for a goalie appears to be way too much. I think being a backup in the OHL is far more valuable than being a starter in the OJHL, at least that's what most statistics would suggest

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Kyle Keyser is a decent goalie, but he is still a quitter on his former teammates and fans.

A teenager wanting to do what's best for himself and his future? How dare he!

Side note: less than 2 years later he gets signed by the Boston Bruins, so it didn't take long for that decision to pay off big time for him

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
I don’t agree.

Can a team have two overage goalies on a team in the same year?

Reactions: Noofgoof

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
From what I've seen, being an OJHL starter doesn't get goalies ready for the OHL. Hunter Jones was really good in the OJHL last year (.917 save % as a true rookie), he's been awful in the OHL this year. Christian Purboo is a .921 save % guy in the OJHL, gets called up to NB and he isn't close to an OHL goalie. The difference between the OJHL and OHL is not even close and the jump from one to the other for a goalie appears to be way too much. I think being a backup in the OHL is far more valuable than being a starter in the OJHL, at least that's what most statistics would suggest

We will agree to disagree. Statistics, for goalies, isn’t really a good indicator of talent. There is a lot of separation between teams from a talent perspective. Loads of kids with crappy stats on crappy teams are better suited for the jump.

In most cases, the goalies are rushed and are expected to make that jump seemless. As well, there is much ego and hurry that can result in players wanting new situations. At least this way, a player doesn’t NEED to be a starter at 18 or even 19. They have that extra year to develop.

Also, don’t discount the value to NHL clubs being able to keep the kids in the CHL one year longer with no team penalties.

I can recount many situations in Ottawa over the years where an OA goalie that did not graduate ended up blocking another younger goalie and then that goalie wants or demands a trade. Those goalies are less likely to look for a way out as quick since the window is open longer.

The reality is since the Import rules changed and we are no longer able to draft Import goalies, the goaltending depth has not increased. It has stagnated. Keeping the players int he league an extra year is better for the fans. If this blocks a player for one year, that year can and will be made up on the back end because that player will also benefit from he advantage when he is 20.

Reactions: ZinErie

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
Random thought or question.. Let’s say a team was going for it and wanted to bring experienced goalies... Its not ideal but could they then with the change run 2 OA tenders and not be classed as OA’s? I cant see teams liking the idea overly but I could see teams try it if they are making a serious push. Or will the rule be 1 OA goalie not classed as an OA. Maybe its been asked or answered already but if so I missed it. Does anyone know?

Edit: Just noticed the question had also just been asked a few posts ago lol oops still curious haven't seen an answer yet

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I would assume the league would, if this rule comes to fruition, word the rule to only allow a max of 4 OA's. If you use one OA goalie you can use three OA skaters. If you utilize two OA goalies, then you'd only be able to use two OA skaters.

Reactions: Noofgoof

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
Have to wonder if this means homogenous rules across the CHL:

Will WHL draft 15 year olds like OHL and Q?

Will OHL clubs be allowed to trade 1st round draft picks like WHL and Q?

I'm sure there are many more differences.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
I didnt know there was that much discrepancy between leagues.........

Might have to start watching the WHL it sounds more exciting hockey than the OHL is presently.

The O now is a snoozefest with terrible officiating.

Reactions: Savard18

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
I didnt know there was that much discrepancy between leagues.........

Might have to start watching the WHL it sounds more exciting hockey than the OHL is presently.

The O now is a snoozefest with terrible officiating.
OHL...occasional hitting league......3 fight rule...and wonder why attendance down on a lot of teams....Branch will have the other two playing shinny too

Reactions: Sec108

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
WHAT a decent goalie, he is a top 5 goalie in the OHL, don't know the happenings in flint but something behind the scene that you or me don't know,only Keyser and flint management owner knows.
Just because he wanted a trade dosn't make him an decent goalie.
We Love him here in Oshawa.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
OHL...occasional hitting league......3 fight rule...and wonder why attendance down on a lot of teams....Branch will have the other two playing shinny too
Fist when I heard 3 commissioners down to one, I automatically thought Branch but seeing this is the 100th year of the memorial cup I see this is the perfect time to step away to look for an NHL job or hockey Canada job. Just a thought.

MeafAttack

Dec 8, 2013
In the Meaf
Fist when I heard 3 commissioners down to one, I automatically thought Branch but seeing this is the 100th year of the memorial cup I see this is the perfect time to step away to look for an NHL job or hockey Canada job. Just a thought.

Pretty sure if anything, he'll retire.....the man is 70 years old this year; can't see any NHL team or Hockey Canada showing the least bit of interest IMHO.

Reactions: Sec108

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
WHAT a decent goalie, he is a top 5 goalie in the OHL, don't know the happenings in flint but something behind the scene that you or me don't know,only Keyser and flint management owner knows.
Just because he wanted a trade dosn't make him an decent goalie.
We Love him here in Oshawa.

Top 5 goalie, not even top 10 in SV% (min 15 games).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad