Changes coming to the CHL next year

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
I didnt know there was that much discrepancy between leagues.........

Might have to start watching the WHL it sounds more exciting hockey than the OHL is presently.

The O now is a snoozefest with terrible officiating.

other than the fighting and hitting, the dub is much different than the O. I watched Moose Jaw and Regina the other day and they're big bodies that hit but not much in the way of structure. The Hounds and Sarnia play a much better system. I haven't seen the Q but what i've seen from the O is much more skilled than the dub. IMHO

PEPSIHEAD

May 15, 2004
Top 5 goalie, not even top 10 in SV% (min 15 games).

He is currently ninth in save percentage, as per the goalie stats on the OHL app.

Attachments

• 91F6310B-DC45-4E34-8313-51CF2C759914.png
    91F6310B-DC45-4E34-8313-51CF2C759914.png
    322 KB · Views: 13

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
I didnt know there was that much discrepancy between leagues.........

Might have to start watching the WHL it sounds more exciting hockey than the OHL is presently.

The O now is a snoozefest with terrible officiating.
add the 3 fight rule and no open ice hits :thumbd:

Reactions: Sec108

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
In essence the OA rule will just add an extra OA skater with minimal impact on goaltending. Looking at this season, there are 8 teams using an OA goalie with 8 teams using a 19 yr old. Without the rule change 3 or 4 of those teams would have been moving their OA goalie but now I think the rule with help Ham, Nia, Osh, Nb, Miss, Petes, Soo and Lon keep their tandems together. Most teams unload their OA goalie if he's not #1 because they don't want to use card on a back up.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
In essence the OA rule will just add an extra OA skater with minimal impact on goaltending. Looking at this season, there are 8 teams using an OA goalie with 8 teams using a 19 yr old. Without the rule change 3 or 4 of those teams would have been moving their OA goalie but now I think the rule with help Ham, Nia, Osh, Nb, Miss, Petes, Soo and Lon keep their tandems together. Most teams unload their OA goalie if he's not #1 because they don't want to use card on a back up.

I think you need to go one further step in the logic though. Sometimes a team would rather go with their OA goalie but they have three skaters they want to eep as well. If their 18 or 19 year old is nearly as good or at least good enough, there is incentive to release the OA goalie and keep the skaters because they would have a greater impact. Under the new rule, teams would keep the OA goalie provided he is a better option no matter how much of a difference there is between them and #2. The #2 is also more willing to stay as a backup for the additional year knowing their spot is protected as an OA so they would still get their starting year.

I think this rule will keep more 20 year old goalies on rosters, even if they are not starters because there is no drawback to doing so.

Reactions: Steel Fishbowl

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
other than the fighting and hitting, the dub is much different than the O. I watched Moose Jaw and Regina the other day and they're big bodies that hit but not much in the way of structure. The Hounds and Sarnia play a much better system. I haven't seen the Q but what i've seen from the O is much more skilled than the dub. IMHO

Yeah the O is straight up better hockey

GEO1050101

Sep 28, 2017
Hey dog where did you hear this about drafting euro goalies. This rule was put in to help develop North American goalies. This idea with OA goalies, and or drafting euro goalies will put us back ten years. Developing players is what junior hockey is all about. Winning is nice, even great but supplying players ready to make the next step is paramount.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Not allowing CHL teams to draft import goaltenders is an idiotic rule (and embarrassing too since it was only brought in because the CHL was rubbed the wrong way when CHL trained import goalies dominated at the WJC and Team Canada wentvthrough a gold medal dry spell).

Either you allow teams to draft any import no matter the position or you don't allow imports at all. For every import on a CHL team, there is one less North American born player.

Personally, I think import players are needed in our game. In the OHL for instance, there are 20 teams which means a possible 40 import players. That's just about enough to roster two full teams. The best way to develop players is have them play against the best players possible. Take away those 40 players and you are looking at a less talented league. One way of looking at it is that the addition of two import players, along with going from one, to now three OA's has allowed this league to expand from 16 to 20 teams when they did without diluting the product.

This business of allowing overage goalies to stay in the league without taking an overage position is the league trying to fix their mistake. They've obviously realized they screwed up by not allowing import goaltenders. The result has been the goaltending position league wide has seen a dilution of talent.

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
I'll agree that the OHL is a different brand of hockey than the dub or Q. But I don't know if it's better. OHL players have the luxury of not dealing with the physical element of the sport. It allows them to make plays in area's that they would pay a price for in the other leagues.
I doubt any changes will have an effect on the OHL, but the other two leagues maybe in for a new brand of elite shinny hockey.

Reactions: OSA and Sec108

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
The proposed rule change and possibly bringing back import goalies would both be steps in improving the quality of goaltending league-wide. I understand where they were coming from in the sense that a Euro goalie or OA could take away a roster spot from a 16-year-old or any Canadian goalie. However, it is unlikely that the 40th+ goalie in the league will ever sniff an NHL career and if they are a rookie it may be better for them to spend a full developmental year in Junior B before starting their OHL career.

I agree that improving the quality of the league and it's goaltending is the best way to improve player development

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
The proposed rule change and possibly bringing back import goalies would both be steps in improving the quality of goaltending league-wide. I understand where they were coming from in the sense that a Euro goalie or OA could take away a roster spot from a 16-year-old or any Canadian goalie. However, it is unlikely that the 40th+ goalie in the league will ever sniff an NHL career and if they are a rookie it may be better for them to spend a full developmental year in Junior B before starting their OHL career.

I agree that improving the quality of the league and it's goaltending is the best way to improve player development
One of the issues with goaltenders was with Team Canada or whatever the handle is. They found that our goaltending wasn't up to snuff at the WJT and made the decision that banning Euro goalies would force teams to develop Canadian goaltenders. I think it's not a bad idea. If a Euro goaltender comes here and cannot out perform a Canadian goaltender in the CHL a player that put his whole life into training here should be in net. Nothing against Euro goalies but I see the point. On side note in the OHL there are very few elite goalies at the moment and it's been that way for a couple of years. I do see the other side of the coin because of this and the argument to bring Euro goalies in is valid also.

the dog

May 16, 2014
Hey dog where did you hear this about drafting euro goalies. This rule was put in to help develop North American goalies. This idea with OA goalies, and or drafting euro goalies will put us back ten years. Developing players is what junior hockey is all about. Winning is nice, even great but supplying players ready to make the next step is paramount.
read it in 0ttawa sun and toronto sun feb 24

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
For those that think that the rule hasn't helped Canadian goalies, Matthew Villalta is certainly a prime example.

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
I'll agree that the OHL is a different brand of hockey than the dub or Q. But I don't know if it's better. OHL players have the luxury of not dealing with the physical element of the sport. It allows them to make plays in area's that they would pay a price for in the other leagues.
I doubt any changes will have an effect on the OHL, but the other two leagues maybe in for a new brand of elite shinny hockey.
and the wests massive travel schedule

Reactions: bladesausteel2941

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Were any of these rules adopted this year?

Does the OA goalie count against your 3?

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
They were talking about this on the Owen Sound broadcast the other night. Will change the dynamic of the league for sure - now OA goalies will not be cut to make room for 3 skating OA's. If you do not have an OA goalie then you can only have 3 OA's. Downfall is 1 less younger player does not make the team with 1 less spot on the roster. Also tougher for younger goalies to get playing time. Still have not heard anything from the league but it sounds like this is going to happen.

Beyond being rumored by OS managment that the OHL managers meeting annually on decision there was talks about OA tenders and whether or not they would count on the OA number each team could hold.

Since draft day to my knowledge no such change has or hasn't taken place by the league officially.

If this has happened you may see less and less 19 to tenders moves by teams this season but as for know I haven't heard of any decision made on OA tenders

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->