Post-Game Talk: Champs vs Fishsticks: The Return of the Trotz | 1/18/19 | 7:30p

Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Scratching my head...so uh, does this team have a plan or strategy? I remember hearing something when Kevin from the Office was hired how the system was going to be the same...

There are very real dangers with a system that never changes:

Other teams figure it out and find ways to exploit it.
The team playing to the system is then incapable of playing any other way because they only know "the system".
Said team then scrambles to do things differently and makes risky, stupid plays, second guesses themselves, becomes hesitant, or tries to go it alone (Kuzy I'm looking at you) and do it all by themselves.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I agree. He should know some of these guys pretty well but there's a time and a place to be a hard a**. Would he dare to bench somebody like Backstrom or Ovie to send a message? Would it actually work?
I'm trying to remember if Trotz ever did that to his star players?
The only time Trotz benched one of his stars was when Ovi missed practice.

Reactions: calicapsfan

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Well the Islanders havent lost the 2nd game of a back to back yet this season. They play the way you should on back to backs.

Its nice to see teams not laying over and using B2B as an excuse to not put in a full effort. Long ago playoff games were back to back but without the travel, and there was no lack of effort. Get right back out there, vs laying around doing nothing for a day. I have heard many players say they prefer that, vs dragging every season and series out as long and slowly as possible.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Its nice to see teams not laying over and using B2B as an excuse to not put in a full effort. Long ago playoff games were back to back but without the travel, and there was no lack of effort. Get right back out there, vs laying around doing nothing for a day. I have heard many players say they prefer that, vs dragging every season and series out as long and slowly as possible.

As somebody who has never played sport at anything more than a casual level (tennis and a few seasons on a hockey team), I've always wondered just how physically demanding it is for these guys to play a couple of games back to back?
They play about 20 mins a game but they have a team of professional trainers and medical personnel to help them rest and recover etc.
I also wonder about goalies - 60 mins but they can spend quite a lot of time watching and not stopping shots etc. Is it more physically demanding as a position and moreso for back to backs?

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I'm not sure I'd call it the cheap route. They went with a guy who they thought was ready when the incumbent coach decided he wasn't going to honor the contract he signed.
THIS! So much of the conversation that goes on here around Reirden and Trotz is so intellectually dishonest. BMac said that Trotz would be back this year if he wanted to and that was because he and the Caps had negotiated a contract in good faith. Trotz demanded a do-over then opted out. He is the one who chose not to honor his agreement.

And let's be clear: He chose to leave the franchise and the players that helped him capture his first Cup. And before everyone says the Cup win was because of him, let's remember, it's a two-way street; he contributed, and so did they.

I will always be grateful to him for his part in that and I guess I don't blame him for chasing the money, but let's not pretend this wasn't his choice.

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
THIS! So much of the conversation that goes on here around Reirden and Trotz is so intellectually dishonest. BMac said that Trotz would be back this year if he wanted to and that was because he and the Caps had negotiated a contract in good faith. Trotz demanded a do-over then opted out. He is the one who chose not to honor his agreement.

And let's be clear: He chose to leave the franchise and the players that helped him capture his first Cup. And before everyone says the Cup win was because of him, let's remember, it's a two-way street; he contributed, and so did they.

I will always be grateful to him for his part in that and I guess I don't blame him for chasing the money, but let's not pretend this wasn't his choice.
giphy.gif

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I don't really care about BT at this point. I'm thankful for his time here, but it's irrevocably over.

Is Rierden the guy? I don't know yet, but he clearly has some work to do. My concern so far is that this is a team that struggled with discipline before the Trotz years, and I haven't seen any signs that TR is much of a disciplinarian.

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
I don't really care about BT at this point. I'm thankful for his time here, but it's irrevocably over.

Is Rierden the guy? I don't know yet, but he clearly has some work to do. My concern so far is that this is a team that struggled with discipline before the Trotz years, and I haven't seen any signs that TR is much of a disciplinarian.
This. After the blowout loss to the Preds, Rierden said he praised the team for playing hard in the last few minutes. That's not what you want your coach saying to the team when they've looked lazy and uninterested for weeks.

Reactions: Heath

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017

Trotz made the decision to move on but it was apparent that he wasnt wanted here. Management had already Reirden would be the head coach this season. Everyone assumed Trotz would become a free agent but a clause in the contract messed things up. That being winning the cup.
I guarantee that if Trotz had stayed he probably would have been fired long ago. It was obvious that the leash was short. You dont actually think the Caps would have honored the additional 2 years. I doubt he would have lasted 2 months. Trotz did what was best for himself.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I'm not one to panic by these single games but all in all in game-to-game basis this propably leaves Reirden scratching his head a bit. Trotz comes back with a worse roster and completely strips them of their weapons while his team is playing the 2nd game of back-to-backs. You know there are potential Playoff opponents watching these games and they'll need to find a different plan to crack down teams playing team defense like that. Tonight they really had nothing going.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011

Isles fan in peace.

I think if Trotz was ten years younger he'd still be the coach of the Caps. Washington management, and the rest of the league, were sky high on Rierden and the Caps couldn't keep denying teams to talk with him without looking like complete a-holes. I think it came down to the future and the Caps didn't know how much longer Trotz could coach. At the time, I thought it was the right move for the Caps and it still might be if Rierden's your coach for a long time. Like I said, if Trotz was 50 I bet they would have rewarded him big time. I realize he had a signed contract with a small raise, so the Caps do get to say he chose to leave. But let's be honest, the old guy was shown the door for the younger guy. Just like in the real world.

Good luck the rest of the way. Caps are a great organization.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
Ya I much rather have the regular season juggernaut that gets bounced in the second round.... Relax - they will be fine and make the playoffs.

Lots of their issues right now are more to do with effort and not winning puck battles. That will change as they get closer to the playoffs.

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
Isles fan in peace.

I think if Trotz was ten years younger he'd still be the coach of the Caps. Washington management, and the rest of the league, were sky high on Rierden and the Caps couldn't keep denying teams to talk with him without looking like complete a-holes. I think it came down to the future and the Caps didn't know how much longer Trotz could coach. At the time, I thought it was the right move for the Caps and it still might be if Rierden's your coach for a long time. Like I said, if Trotz was 50 I bet they would have rewarded him big time. I realize he had a signed contract with a small raise, so the Caps do get to say he chose to leave. But let's be honest, the old guy was shown the door for the younger guy. Just like in the real world.

Thanks, I hope you guys get hell out of Brooklyn and kick ass at the new arena! (Except for caps);)

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
I’ve said it before but this team has not been the same since the first blues loss. In that game the blues really clogged up the neutral zone and forced us to dump and chase. Right now that hurts us because we are terrible at puck retrievals and putting constant pressure on the puck carrier. Ever since then I have noticed almost every tram use a similar strategy. Until we prove we can also outwork teams we will struggle.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Isles fan in peace.

It was more of Trotz's shelf life than his age, in my opinion. NHL coaches, even ones that win Stanley Cups, don't have a lot of staying power. The most tenured coach in the league - John Cooper - has been around for six years. Trotz wanted a contract that took his time behind Washington's bench through nine years. Quenneville had been Chicago's coach for 9 years and likely would have been let go two years ago if he hadn't won three Cups.

Also, 90% of the people on here wanted Trotz fired last season and now they wax nostalgic for him. Just the way it goes when they team doesn't win 20 games in a row by the score of 10-0.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad