Post-Game Talk: Champs vs Fishsticks: The Return of the Trotz | 1/18/19 | 7:30p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
What is this noise? Relax.

Their best players need to get it together. IMO it all starts with PP1 drying up and the resulting lack of confidence. Their center play in general isn't very good and it's in tune with their general engagement, work ethic and systemic detail. The fourth-line rotations decisions are baffling but other than that I'm not sure how much is on the coaching staff. Maybe Forsythe needs to finally (more seriously) shake the PP up from an approach standpoint and introduce more movement.
I suspect they are just still showcasing bottom six guys ahead of the deadline. Otherwise totally agree.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Some here have been criticizing others for being "too negative" :huh:

I try to be a realist. You can't avoid thinking this is starting to look serious. Caps have been crushed badly in even strength for weeks now. Look lethargic compared to other teams, good or not.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Their best players need to get it together. IMO it all starts with PP1 drying up and the resulting lack of confidence. Their center play in general isn't very good and it's in tune with their general engagement, work ethic and systemic detail. The fourth-line rotations decisions are baffling but other than that I'm not sure how much is on the coaching staff. Maybe Forsythe needs to finally (more seriously) shake the PP up from an approach standpoint and introduce more movement. They are kind of stale at the moment but this happens, esp. when they don't put in the work.

This one gets it.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I try to be a realist. You can't avoid thinking this is starting to look serious. Caps have been crushed badly in even strength for weeks now. Look lethargic compared to other teams, good or not.
Either they'll fix it or not. No point declaring something with any certainty at this juncture. They're trending down and their standings placement is reflecting it. We'll see.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008

Their best players need to get it together. IMO it all starts with PP1 drying up and the resulting lack of confidence. Their center play in general isn't very good and it's in tune with their general engagement, work ethic and systemic detail. The fourth-line rotations decisions are baffling but other than that I'm not sure how much is on the coaching staff. Maybe Forsythe needs to finally (more seriously) shake the PP up from an approach standpoint and introduce more movement. They are kind of stale at the moment but this happens, esp. when they don't put in the work.
They’re not entering the zone with any speed, the dump in locations are bizarrely bad, a lot of soft and late passes, D-men collapsing too early on opponent zone entries and pinching at inopportune times...these are things that can be coached up. Reirden doesnt seem to be managing adversity too well.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
I wonder how many of the posters blaming Reirden and/or saying Trotz should still be here were defending Trotz during last season's periodic doldrums. I'd put at least 80 percent of the "blame" on the players for the team's poor performance. Neither Trotz nor Reirden is telling guys to pass it where they ain't or not to cover for a pinching dman. A few things might benefit from improved coaching, like adjusting the PP to make it less predictable or solidifying the 4th line. But coaching won't get Kuzy or Backy to make better decisions with the puck, or slugs to skate faster.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I used to hope that Ovie would choose the Calgary game after the allstar break to serve his suspension, since its against a Western team.

Now I just want him to serve it the game against Toronto before the break on next wednesday. Get some rest buddy

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I wonder how many of the posters blaming Reirden and/or saying Trotz should still be here were defending Trotz during last season's periodic doldrums. I'd put at least 80 percent of the "blame" on the players for the team's poor performance. Neither Trotz nor Reirden is telling guys to pass it where they ain't or not to cover for a pinching dman. A few things might benefit from improved coaching, like adjusting the PP to make it less predictable or solidifying the 4th line. But coaching won't get Kuzy or Backy to make better decisions with the puck, or slugs to skate faster.
Winning a Cup also makes it 100% easier to not be reactive toward them playing at top shape all of the time or reading too much into it.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Because it's ****ing January. They played a ****-ton of hockey in 2018 and so maybe they just recognize what matters when.

I'll allow that they are probably tired and it is also probably difficult to be mentally motivated and focussed. I'm still trying to get enthusiastic about work and 2019 and I've been back from Xmas holidays for two weeks :)

Hopefully it's a bump in the road and they get back on track. They've looked very uninspired and uninspiring. I watch other teams (for example Calgary and Detroit playing right now) and both teams are playing fast, skilful hockey (yes even Detroit lol).
The speed is what I notice the most. There are so many really fast teams out there.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
I will say as far as head coaching responsibilities, the x's and o's, etc., managing the players, especially the veterans, is the most important part of the job. Motivating them, pushing their buttons..Reirden is trying to find his way. I was worried about this as soon as he took this job. Now he will feel the pressure and have to find a way to get his veterans to play the way they are capable of playing. Not sure if this will work out or not but only time will tell.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Boudreau rookie head NHL coach. No playoff success.

Hunter rookie head NHL coach. No playoff success.

Oates rookie head NHL coach. No success.

Trotz comes in as experienced coach and wins a Cup.

Next season....... back to a rookie NHL head coach.

Something with that pattern doesn’t add up.

Last edited:

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012

No kidding. I doubt that Reirden has ever told Kuznetsov to carefully watch but in no way interfere with unmarked opposition forward right in front of Holtby.

All in all , when our centers start to manage the puck like elite players, we will start to play better. Wingers are doing what they can, for the most part. Well, Ovi has been making love to the pooch for about a month straight but he is older so give him a tentative pass.

Eller to Burakovksy was maybe the best scoring chance we had all game.

Reactions: Heath

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
Bwahahaahhahah!
latest

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
I will say as far as head coaching responsibilities, the x's and o's, etc., managing the players, especially the veterans, is the most important part of the job. Motivating them, pushing their buttons..Reirden is trying to find his way. I was worried about this as soon as he took this job. Now he will feel the pressure and have to find a way to get his veterans to play the way they are capable of playing. Not sure if this will work out or not but only time will tell.

I agree. He should know some of these guys pretty well but there's a time and a place to be a hard a**. Would he dare to bench somebody like Backstrom or Ovie to send a message? Would it actually work?
I'm trying to remember if Trotz ever did that to his star players?

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
Scratching my head...so uh, does this team have a plan or strategy? I remember hearing something when Kevin from the Office was hired how the system was going to be the same...

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
Winning a Cup also makes it 100% easier to not be reactive toward them playing at top shape all of the time or reading too much into it.

A bad game here or there ... no problem. I understand giving them an even longer leash after last season. We now have three or four weeks of mostly crappy performances. A few wins and loser points that may not have been deserved mixed in among the losses. It's looking like a trend rather than the occasional one-off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad