Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Jacob Markstrom signs with the Flames (6 years, $6M AAV)

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Marky earned it. Great example of where a relentless work ethic can take you. I'm gonna miss his compete, never gave up on a save.

Not sure what Calgary has planned for a defense in front of him with Brodie gone and Gio shambling into his 37th birthday. Markstrom's played on some defensive stinkers in his day though so maybe it works to his advantage.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
This place is nuts at times.

A goalie who was his teams MVP two years running, was in the Vezina conversation this year, signs with the Flames and now he will not be worth a very reasonable $6mm as soon as two years away.

Imagine if he signed with Colorado, they’d be the next great team. Or with NYR?

He Flames have needed a legit starter since Kipper retired. They go out and get one and this place tries to tell me Big Save Dave is as good as him.

Of course most of the beaking is being done from inside the conference. So, maybe that’s a good sign!?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I wish him well in Calgary, but for a variety of reasons, we just couldn't afford what he'd earned.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Oilers fans in this thread:

2f4nhk.jpg

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Most Canadian fans only are if their team wins not other Canadian teams for the most part.
You wind the clock back 15 years ago then sure... but no Canadian team has won since 1993 for Christ's sake! Yes, there was some bad luck (all those Canadian teams that lost in the finals in the aughts), and Canadian teams face structural disadvantages under a cap system due to the weak Canadian dollar (which hurts the spending ability of the smaller market teams) and especially the high Canadian tax rate (which means Canadian teams have to overpay players just to match the actual take-home dollars a team in a state like Florida can offer), but enough is enough.

I think at this point a lot of Canadian team fans just want this National legacy of failure to be dead.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary

A goalie who was his teams MVP two years running, was in the Vezina conversation this year, signs with the Flames and now he will not be worth a very reasonable $6mm as soon as two years away.

He Flames have needed a legit starter since Kipper retired. They go out and get one and this place tries to tell me Big Save Dave is as good as him.

Of course most of the beaking is being done from inside the conference. So, maybe that’s a good sign!?
Easy answer, this place is crawling with Oiler and Canuck fans who also wanted Markstrom. It's like when you like a girl, but then she denies you and then you tell all your friends you never actually liked her and that she's ugly.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
I have to add, i'm really happy for Markstrom the player here. He is the type of a player i love for a simple reason, i personaly had almost given up on him when he was traded to Vancouver. He had tons of expectation on him which he didn't live up to and with the change of scenery from Florida to Vancouver (even with the rocky start) he went from a sub 0.900 goalie to a 0.91xx goalie. The reason that i really love players like him is the fact that he never gave up.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I had Markstrom penciled in for 6M from the beginning. I thought he could even get a bit more seeing how much interest he was getting.

Little bit surpised it’s ”only” flat 6M and not something like 6.5

Reactions: TheUnusedCrayon

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He went for around his expected price range. He deserves it and best of luck to marky. He will surely be missed.

fondest memory was he was the goalie that dethroned the cup champs. He was so good maracheaults said that he was our best player in round 1.

take care marky. Best of luck in Calgary.

Reactions: bh53 and Fig

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Not a deal I would want my team to give out to a soon to be 31yr old goalie. But CGY is looking at this in the short term. They probably only have 3-4 more years with that core age group so the last 2 years of this deal are likely irrelevant. This gives CGY a legitimate #1 goalie now, something they haven't had in a very long time. Markstrom definitely got paid here... but he earned it. Good for him.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
How is CGY's goalie coach? I wasn't a huge fan on Markstrom with Van because I felt like neither the team or himself played to each other's strengths.

If CGY can sort out their defense over the next year or so this should work out, Markstrom is a solid first-save goalie (and if he could tighten up his stance/tracking to eliminate leakiness he'd be damn elite, but it's probably a little late for that). But if CGY is expecting him to make up for an average defense, both he and the D are gonna end up creating more work for each other.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
I miss Markstrom already. It's too bad he couldn't stay a Canuck, but frankly, the guy deserved to get paid. It's hard to say best of luck in Calgary because I am a Canucks fan after all, but I wish him well.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
How is CGY's goalie coach? I wasn't a huge fan on Markstrom with Van because I felt like neither the team or himself played to each other's strengths..

Ian Clark was the goalie coach in Van... who is regarded by many to be one of the finest goalie coaches in the entire world. One could argue he was instrumental in helping Markstrom become the player he is today.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I had Markstrom penciled in for 6M from the beginning. I thought he could even get a bit more seeing how much interest he was getting.

Little bit surpised it’s ”only” flat 6M and not something like 6.5
Main thing for all players is to limit the amount lost to escrow plus a prorated season coming up.

so getting $6 mill is still good especially if the money is backloaded to avoid high escrow in the next season or two.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Easy answer, this place is crawling with Oiler and Canuck fans who also wanted Markstrom. It's like when you like a girl, but then she denies you and then you tell all your friends you never actually liked her and that she's ugly.
Incorrect. The majority of Canuck fans wanted Demko to be the eventual starter in Vancouver and were hoping that Markstrom didn’t sign the rumoured 5 year deal.
That said, his age fits better with Calgary’s core and I can see why they signed him even if imo the contract is two years too long.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I miss Markstrom already. It's too bad he couldn't stay a Canuck, but frankly, the guy deserved to get paid. It's hard to say best of luck in Calgary because I am a Canucks fan after all, but I wish him well.
To put things in perspective on age. Lundqvist, smith, Rinne are 38 in 2020. So the 17-18 season would have been the same age that Markstrom will be in his final year.
This gives you a bit of a read about how goalies age in this era.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
In bad times like these, one thing you love to see is teams giving out buy out proof, virtually trade resistant long term deals to 30+ year olds

If you are an agent, your job is easy. Find the sucker teams (Calgary, Edmonton etc), pit them against eachother in a bidding war and watch your clients contract explode

This sensationalist guy again? First he talks about the monster deal that was just market value. Then he exaggerates the buyout attributes of the contract. Buying out the contract in year 5 and 6 isn't great, but not buyout proof. Plus flames are likely rebuilding by then, so there's no need to buy him out.

Reactions: Mazatt

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017

Congratulations on the signing... This could turn out great for the Flames...

If it doesn't work then maybe you can get a Vezina winning goalie, I think Florida may have one.

TBH I have mixed feelings about this. I was hoping that the Oilers sign him, but I was also scared that the Oilers may sign him, especially to a long contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad