Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Jacob Markstrom signs with the Flames (6 years, $6M AAV)

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
You and making bad posts?

How is $6 mil for a #1 goalie an overpayment ?

It's not. But I somehow doubt Markstrom is going to be a #1 goalie when he's 37. He's been a starting goalie for all of 1 playoff teams, so not exactly a proven #1. He's never won more than 28 games in a season and he's going to be 31 in 4 months.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Markstrom is only getting better though. Bobrovsky chased money to play in Florida.

I'd also have preferred 5 years, but I'll take the extra to get him signed. I'm done with having a 1b goalie for a year and moving on to the next 1b year after year.

People also expected Gio to decline, then won a Norris.
Right but like I said it’s not really about declining it’s about consistency. But you know what, Markstrom has actually been very consistent for 5 years now, so maybe that won’t matter.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Right but like I said it’s not really about declining it’s about consistency. But you know what, Markstrom has actually been very consistent for 5 years now, so maybe that won’t matter.
Eventually that will catch up with him.

mvp1977

Feb 9, 2018
deep breath and realize the Rittich does not have the same contract as Koskinen in Edmonton. He is actually signed at $2.75 AAV and that contract expires at the end of next season and Rittich will be a UFA at the time of the expansion draft
Ha! and Koskinen carries a modified no movement clause LOL....oh the joys in edmonton

Reactions: TheUnusedCrayon

North Man

Feb 17, 2010
It's not. But I somehow doubt Markstrom is going to be a #1 goalie when he's 37. He's been a starting goalie for all of 1 playoff teams, so not exactly a proven #1. He's never won more than 28 games in a season and he's going to be 31 in 4 months.

Who cares? He's 30 right now. We're not signing him to be our #1 goalie in 2026, were signing him to make an impact with the core now. In 6 years we'll likely be rebuilding. Plus Markstrom put up decent numbers with a crap Vancouver defence, so I'd be inclined to say they'll improve from here on out.

Reactions: TheUnusedCrayon

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Sucks to lose Marky, but it was a perfect storm.

I don't know if I'm gonna like seeing him in the red C.

I think 6m is market value for his talent. Actually I think maybe even slightly under. Only age is the factor against him, but he is very resilient and not very injury prone.

Our MVP for the last 2, maybe 3 years. Love ya Marky!

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I don't know whether you are exaggerating to make a point, intentionally stating a falsehood, or just misinformed. I will assume mostly the latter and a bit of the former.

At age 37 Markstrom most likely won't be playing for the Flames. He will be 35 when he begins his last contract season with the Flames. He will turn 36 (Jan 31/2026) with approximately 65 days and 30 games left in the season .

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
6mil is fine for a No. 1 goalie, especially someone who has played as well as Markstrom. You just never know how he’ll adapt to another team, his peak has really only been the last two years or so, and even then he has had a few inconsistent stretches. I could see him regressing in a new system, who knows, it’s hard to tell. And if he does, damn, that’s going to suck. This isn’t a 3 year deal, it’s a 6 year deal.

It’s a risk, that’s all, and in a flat cap market it’s even more of a risk.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Who cares? He's 30 right now. We're not signing him to be our #1 goalie in 2026, were signing him to make an impact with the core now. In 6 years we'll likely be rebuilding. Plus Markstrom put up decent numbers with a crap Vancouver defence, so I'd be inclined to say they'll improve from here on out.

That contract will be a liability in 3 years at best IMO. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see him being a legit starter beyond 33. Honestly don't see much separating him and Rittich, who is nearly 3 years younger and has won just as many games in the last 2 years.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I don't know whether you are exaggerating to make a point, intentionally stating a falsehood, or just misinformed. I will assume mostly the latter and a bit of the former.

At age 37 Markstrom most likely won't be playing for the Flames. He will be 35 when he begins his last contract season with the Flames. He will turn 36 (Jan 31/2026) with approximately 65 days and 30 games left in the season .

I'm just sleep deprived and can't do basic addition.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
That is a lot of term and money for a 30 year old goalie that before this season, most people weren't even sold on as being a starter.

The revolving door of overpaid, aging goalies has been Calgary's Achilles heel since Kipper left.

But hey, maybe Markstrom reverses the trend and proves me wrong.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I dont see why a franchise has to look at team management like that. The main pieces on this team is young and with better drafting, they can stay competitive for a long time.

And at the right points you need to commit and get some good UFAs. UFAs almost always come with bad years in their contracts.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
The age part doesn't bother me one bit, goalies are well known to get better with age (this is true for soccer as well, in case you didn't know). Experience/mentality/IQ all go up with age, and Markstrom is no different. As long as he stays healthy, this contract isn't terrible or going to ruin the Flames.

Reactions: Mitts

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
The age part doesn't bother me one bit, goalies are well known to get better with age (this is true for soccer as well, in case you didn't know). Experience/mentality/IQ all go up with age, and Markstrom is no different. As long as he stays healthy, this contract isn't terrible or going to ruin the Flames.
To be fair goalies can peak late (in their early 30s), whereas forwards are pretty much at their peaks in their mid 20s and defenders often a few years later (although there are notable exceptions of course). He is only 30... but yeah a big gamble on a guy who isn't exactly young and while fantastic this past season doesn't have a long track record of excellence.

Sincerely hope he works out for you though. At this point rooting for any Canadian team to end that embarrassing drought (well, except for maybe the Habs).

Reactions: Iggys Dome

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
good goalie, bad signing, but the flames have been desperate since kipper left.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Canucks offered 5.5M X 5
Oilers offered 6M X 7
Flames offered 6M X 6
Detroit ?
Carolina ?

Flames overpaid slightly, Oilers dodged a bullet.

Reactions: David71

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
In bad times like these, one thing you love to see is teams giving out buy out proof, virtually trade resistant long term deals to 30+ year olds

If you are an agent, your job is easy. Find the sucker teams (Calgary, Edmonton etc), pit them against eachother in a bidding war and watch your clients contract explode

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
To be fair goalies can peak late (in their early 30s), whereas forwards are pretty much at their peaks in their mid 20s and defenders often a few years later (although there are notable exceptions of course). He is only 30... but yeah a big gamble on a guy who isn't exactly young and while fantastic this past season doesn't have a long track record of excellence.

Sincerely hope he works out for you though. At this point rooting for any Canadian team to end that embarrassing drought (well, except for maybe the Habs).
Most Canadian fans only are if their team wins not other Canadian teams for the most part.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad