Claimed off Waivers: [CGY] Flames claim D Joel Hanley off waivers from the Stars

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
... Why wasn't he included in the trade?
My guess is the Flames were homing Gilbert or Oesterle might step up , but both were poor in theoor time since the trade. Or masybe Dallas wanted to hold onto him for longer because Tanev was going to have to deal with the paperwork to be able to play in the US

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
I hope he can be as solid for us as Pachal and Greer have been after we claimed them off waivers. But the odds of a 3rd waiver claim being that solid seems slim
He's decent. But I prefer him as a 7 than a 6.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Flames desperate for warm bodies that call themselves NHL defensemen. Hanifin will be gone in a couple of days or sooner.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
Hanley is fine as a 6-7 and he's matured as a player in Dallas. Personally, I'd have played him ahead of Hakanpaa. He'll provide good depth, and I get the sense he was well liked in the room.

Reactions: egelband

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
A very good pick-up. Signed for next season as well.

Can play with pace and either LD or RD so the flexibility to the roster that he brings is valuable.

Now the Flames need to either waive Oesterle or trade him for a bag of pucks.

Reactions: NinjaTurtle

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If he's anything like Pachal I'll be pumped.

Pachal might be one of the best claims we've made in ten years to be fair.
<25 year good ol' Western Canadian kid defender that has a bit of mean in his game; 14 minutes a night of mostly uneventful hockey.

I liked him with Oliver too when Tanev was still here.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I hope he can be as solid for us as Pachal and Greer have been after we claimed them off waivers. But the odds of a 3rd waiver claim being that solid seems slim
Conny's batting a thousand on these waiver wire pick-ups. I think he did it again. And I wouldn't be surprised if he is on the hunt for more.

Cheap, no cost additions as other teams look to maximize their cap space for potential acquisitions.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I’m not against this transaction at all, but how long until the Flames have an entire waiver pickup roster?
A long, long, time. We have a pretty good farm club and we're seeing that the recent additions of the likes of Zary, Pospisil, Pelletier, and Coronato are or will be solid NHL'ers. And not 4th liners either.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
8i5drg.jpg

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
They’re going to be dealing Hanifin soon and there aren’t really any NHL-ready Dmen in their system.

Hanley just gives them another option on the 3rd pairing. I mean once Hanifin is gone, the Flames will essentially have two legit NHL Dmen in Weegar and Andersson, one guy trying to come back from 1.5 years off in Kylington and then a whole bunch of nothing.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
They’re going to be dealing Hanifin soon and there aren’t really any NHL-ready Dmen in their system.

Hanley just gives them another option on the 3rd pairing. I mean once Hanifin is gone, the Flames will essentially have two legit NHL Dmen in Weegar and Andersson, one guy trying to come back from 1.5 years off in Kylington and then a whole bunch of nothing.
Originally the thread title said Matthew Phillips was claimed by Calgary, hence that reaction. Hanley makes all kinds of sense

Reactions: Nanuuk

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Kylington - Weegar
Gilbert - Andersson
Hanley - Pachal
x - Osterle, Soyonov

Not great, probably a bottom 5 blueline in the NHL but they at least have three top 4 dmen. If it wasn't for Kylington coming back when he did, this blueline would be even worse. Personally I would rather play Soyonov in the top 6 and give him the minutes and experience for next year. Gilbert is good enough to play on the 2nd pair for now, he will get great experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad